Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Harry's Ability -- Game 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Musto
msg tools
In Game 3, the upgraded hero card for Harry states that "The first time (a villain control token) is removed from the location each turn, any one hero gains one attack token". Does this ability apply only during Harry's turn, or on each player's turn (as long as Harry is in use in the game)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been assuming it can apply to any player's turn. If it was meant to be only on Harry's turn, the card would be worded "The first time [control] is removed from the location on Harry's turn, any one hero gains one attack." Since the card does not specifically call out Harry's turn, it applies to any turn.

Something else to keep in mind is that the wording does not say that the active player is the one who gains the attack token. We've had several situations where it makes more sense to give the attack to another player.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Exactly. Coompare to the wording of Neville's ability...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
in this game the phrase 'any one hero' means any single hero of that player's choice. There are future cards that say any two heroes so I believe this wording was use to attempt to have consistency with that wording.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

In other words, always play with Harry. That ability is OP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

In other words, always play with Harry. That ability is OP.

I wouldn't consider it OP.
Control tokens aren't removed THAT often, so it isn't like you will be swimming in extra attacks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

In other words, always play with Harry. That ability is OP.

I wouldn't consider it OP.
Control tokens aren't removed THAT often, so it isn't like you will be swimming in extra attacks.


By the time you hit Book 4, there are a LOT of cards that remove skulls. We were swimming in extra attacks from that ability and won on Location 1 with zero skulls on it, partially due to that ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

In other words, always play with Harry. That ability is OP.

I wouldn't consider it OP.
Control tokens aren't removed THAT often, so it isn't like you will be swimming in extra attacks.


By the time you hit Book 4, there are a LOT of cards that remove skulls. We were swimming in extra attacks from that ability and won on Location 1 with zero skulls on it, partially due to that ability.


If you have lots of cards that remove skulls, then it's easy to win on Location 1 with zero skulls on it without Harry.

I would rate Harry as the weakest of the heroes. I'd rate them in this order: Neville, Hermoine, Ron, Harry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
In other words, always play with Harry. That ability is OP.

Umm, no. At best it is two attacks per turn which is on par with a five cost card. For that matter, using Hogwarts History (cost 4) and rolling a Slytherine die can give you more attack tokens than Harry does. If you are going to claim this is OP, then every card that costs five or more is also OP. You are using this ability only once per turn, not once per removal, right?

Quote:
We were swimming in extra attacks from that ability and won on Location 1 with zero skulls on it, partially due to that ability.

Its pretty easy to be swimming in attack tokens without Harry's ability. Card draw engines easily get you up to seven attack per turn. A Bernie Bott's engine or Hermy with Elder Wand easily makes Harry's ability look like chump change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Ummm no, I saw it with my own eyes, beat Book 4 with ZERO skulls on Location 1. Partially due to our skull removal spells of course, but also greatly due to Harry's power helping us beat them down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Ummm no, I saw it with my own eyes, beat Book 4 with ZERO skulls on Location 1. Partially due to our skull removal spells of course, but also greatly due to Harry's power helping us beat them down.


I've seen beating Book 4 with ZERO skulls on Location 1 also. I've seen it on Book 5, Book 6, and Book 7. In later games where you never lose the first location (by far the most common type of win, in my experience), it's VERY common to win with zero skulls on Location 1, and it's skull removal cards that drive it. And once you get to no skulls, Harry's ability is useless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël LARROQUE
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
I've seen beating Book 4 with ZERO skulls on Location 1 also. I've seen it on Book 5, Book 6, and Book 7. In later games where you never lose the first location (by far the most common type of win, in my experience), it's VERY common to win with zero skulls on Location 1, and it's skull removal cards that drive it. And once you get to no skulls, Harry's ability is useless.

+1 on All (except I haven't played on Game 7 yet)

Winning with 0 skulls on location 1 is a mark of a game well played (with a little bit of luck at the beginning also), not a reflect of Harry's ability wich just get a little benefit of it ^^

Clearly the objective at the beginning of a game is to improve the skull removal ability to avoid at all cost to go to location 2, if it happens ... well ... the game will probably not end well (We've lost the only game we let go through the second location ! ^^)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.