$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi everyone.

I really like rogue-lite video games, like The Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Don't Stave, etc., Isaac being the best of the bunch IMHO.

I know that board games already have the feel of different "runs" because, aside from legacy or campaign games, you always start again like you are playing for the first time.

The thing that I'm looking for is the randomness in items, like in Binding of Isaac. Sometimes they are bad, and you need to rely on your skills, even though you know that the stuff that you have won't be enough; sometimes later, an overpower item can save your run.

I think to some extent, Munchkin did that... a person can start with a class and a race and another person with nothing; but Munchkin has a lot of problems, like being long with all the randomness. Is there a board or card game that captures that fresh feeling of being balanced, weak, overpowered in a random way but don't overstay its welcome?

Thanks everyone.

Cheers from Brazil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest Revised Edition comes to mind. It's one I've been looking at for a while to purchase--I haven't played it but it seems to fit a rogue-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Faville wrote:
DungeonQuest Revised Edition comes to mind. It's one I've been looking at for a while to purchase--I haven't played it but it seems to fit a rogue-like.

Thanks! I'll watch a review ASAP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Binding of Isaac! Not much is coming to mind... Cosmic Encounter has a little bit of having a game breaking ability that you have to work with, but not the same kind of progression and layering that you might be looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Legendary wrote:
Love Binding of Isaac! Not much is coming to mind... Cosmic Encounter has a little bit of having a game breaking ability that you have to work with, but not the same kind of progression and layering that you might be looking for.

Yeah, I have Cosmic in my collection. I love the game breaking powers, but, at least atm, I don't have a gaming group here, so it's hard to hit the table demanding a good number of players with the right mindset.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Hi Lucas, this may be of interest to you.

Legends Untold. Coming soon was described by some reviewers as Roguelike.

The Location attached for example has Barrier icons. You draw the barrier and then use any talents or kit you have to pass the barrier. If you succeed you then draw another card from the adventure deck. It could be loot, a foe, an NPC, a curiosity.

Apologies that the cards are unfinished. Review copies being finalised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope The 7th Continent will give me my roguelike fix. Open world? Check! Permadeath? Check! Definitive Choices? Check! Random encounters? Check! Huge? Check!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Can you feel the Threat Level rising!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye out for One Deck Dungeon. It's not available yet, but should be in retail around Dec. 1. The tag line for this game is: "All the excitement of a rogue-like dungeon crawl in 54 cards!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
Faville wrote:

Thanks! I'll watch a review ASAP!

It's amusing, but it's a bit of a random meat-grinder. It doesn't feel like you have a whole lot of control over your fate.

Give Posthuman a look. That's probably the game that feels most like a roguelike to me (with a sprinkle of mutant apocalypse Oregon Trail). But a word of warning: the combat rules are much more complex than necessary. The dice usage could have been greatly simplified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 One Deck Dungeon and you can PnP for free to see if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not dungeon-themed, but I'd recommend checking out Carl Chudyk's games, especially Innovation and Impulse. Nearly every card in Innovation is overpowered in the right circumstances, but you have to figure out which is the right one for your civilization's "build". And, similarly, an approach that's awesome in one game of Impulse may turn out to not have quite the right pieces in another game, or you might need to stagger along for a few extra turns before finding a planet that fuels the rest of your game.

(I'm a big Binding Of Isaac fan too, and would love a boardgame that felt the same. These don't exactly, but it's closer than you might think.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faville wrote:

I was going to recommend this, too. The first few times you play, it doesn't feel particularly rogue-like. But it's there once you get to know it.

As far as card games go, Cutthroat Caverns is about the only card-game I recommend. But I'm not sure that's a rogue-like experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, if you like Don't Starve you might enjoy Robinson Crusoe - it's a bit too frustrating for my taste (just like many rogue-lites and likes are to me) but it definitely catches the rogue-spirit. Everything is completely random for each new game (island tiles, items that can be crafted, events that happen) and one screw up can be your downfall, but having a combination of powerful items can give you a huge push as well.

The rules are a horrible mess tho - there is a new version coming out (by Portal Games, I think) this year with better game components and allegedly much clearer, revised rules, so I'd go for that, if it sounds interesting to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for DungeonQuest

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) is quite similiar but lasts way longer. Best to use with house rules for the ending or expansions that offer different endings. Otherwise it just drags at the end.

I would also second Robinson Crusoe if you like the survival aspect in the game.

DungeonQuest and Robinson Crusoe can also be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Soho
London
flag msg tools
mb
Many spring to mind that would combine the right level of randomisation with character development through skills, stats or equipment, but most of these are 'adventure' games rather than rogue-likes or rogue-lite-likes...

For me a key element to a roguelike is something around the repeated patterns of continual levels with randomised content, rather than one large sprawl.

Would agree with DungeonQuest though!

Also:
Dungeon of D
Baldrick's Tomb
Chainsaw Warrior
Rogue Trooper (to a degree)
Any of the Dungeoneer sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Second Edition) has a rogue feel with the travelling around a map fighting random monsters that could exploit a weakness in one of your three skills. ( Melee, range or magic).
There is Runebound (Third Edition) now which is more streamlined and polished, but personally I preferred the 2nd editions charm.

Also Mage Knight Board Game. Go check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.