GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,623 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » General

Subject: The Doctor's Office rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so the Doctor's Office allows you to stand up a 'wounded' posse and move him to another unoccupied space. But unless we are missing something, it's costing you another Posse just to activate that ability. So what are you really gaining?

I mean, you could just put the Posse you put at the Doctor's on the unoccupied space, right? So why 'waste' one standing up the wounded guy to move him?

I'm sure I could come up with an edge case here or there where it might have some limited use (especially if you own the Doctor's Office so at least you get the 1 money). But the ability seems fairly pointless in and of itself.

Are we missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
OK, so the Doctor's Office allows you to stand up a 'wounded' posse and move him to another unoccupied space. But unless we are missing something, it's costing you another Posse just to activate that ability. So what are you really gaining?

I mean, you could just put the Posse you put at the Doctor's on the unoccupied space, right? So why 'waste' one standing up the wounded guy to move him?

I'm sure I could come up with an edge case here or there where it might have some limited use (especially if you own the Doctor's Office so at least you get the 1 money). But the ability seems fairly pointless in and of itself.

It's handy when you've lost a duel that has rendered your posse nearly pointless. The Doctor's Office allows you to bounce back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that you might want to be on the location where the Doctor's office is in order to either win the pot or buy the property.

But, yeah... otherwise it seems like a pretty useless power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Talenn wrote:

It's handy when you've lost a duel that has rendered your posse nearly pointless. The Doctor's Office allows you to bounce back.

Can you give an example? Specifically why it's more useful to go to the Doctor's office rather to move a meeple to an unoccupied space rather than just placing your available meeple at the unoccupied space instead of the doctor's office?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Talenn wrote:

Again, I'm not sure how. If it costs you one Posse to stand up and move another Posse, you aren't getting any net gain. Are we playing something wrong or what are we missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blizzard
United States
Philadelphia
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it would be slightly useful if the Doctor's Office is on a porch where the slot gives you benefit in addition to the building's use. You get the benefit, and get to move the wounded posse to another slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's useful if you NEEDED the resources on the mat with the fallen posse member. By placing at the Dr. You now have a posse member that can win the pot and purchase from there. Plays you have the other guy stood, as long as there is no duel that he losses, into win the pot and buy with. It also counters the Apothecary's ability to gain resources for wounded posse members. That's how we see it. It does have a benefit but under specific circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's extra helpful if you learned your opponent's poker card in the duel. Now your repositioning of that meeple can be quite effective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indianajo883 wrote:
It's useful if you NEEDED the resources on the mat with the fallen posse member. By placing at the Dr. You now have a posse member that can win the pot and purchase from there. Plays you have the other guy stood, as long as there is no duel that he losses, into win the pot and buy with. It also counters the Apothecary's ability to gain resources for wounded posse members. That's how we see it. It does have a benefit but under specific circumstances.

Being able to win the pot and/or purchase from the location that the Doctor's office is at seems to be the only benefit.

Otherwise it seems like a wash when you could just place your unused meeple on the space you move your previously wounded meeple to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
It's extra helpful if you learned your opponent's poker card in the duel. Now your repositioning of that meeple can be quite effective!

But again... why reposition when you can just use the meeple you just used at the doctor's office on the place your move the wounded meeple to?

Again, it seems like the only benefit is if you also want a meeple at the location where the Doctor's office is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you may be losing the hand there.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:

Enjoy the game!

I think we're talking passed each other... If you're losing your hand there, moving the meeple to another location doesn't do anything different than simply placing a new meeple (i.e. the meeple you just placed at the doctor's office) at a different location, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:
mgcoe wrote:

Enjoy the game!

I think we're talking passed each other... If you're losing your hand there, moving the meeple to another location doesn't do anything different than simply placing a new meeple (i.e. the meeple you just placed at the doctor's office) at a different location, correct?

Yes, this is it exactly. It almost makes me think that we are playing wrong and that you somehow don't need to spend a Posse to move the wounded Posse. But if you do, I still fail to see how moving the wounded one is better than just placing the one you would be spending on the Doctor anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
kennyj wrote:
mgcoe wrote:

Enjoy the game!

Yes, this is it exactly. It almost makes me think that we are playing wrong and that you somehow don't need to spend a Posse to move the wounded Posse. But if you do, I still fail to see how moving the wounded one is better than just placing the one you would be spending on the Doctor anyways.

This is why I offered that it's possible you might want to put your meeple at the Doctor's office because you think you can win the pot at the doctor's office location. That seems to be the only potential benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:

I apologize if I'm doing that. I'm just trying to help.

The Doctor's Office is circumstantial, as most of the buildings are, it is for tactical use. The circumstance that calls for the Doctor's Office is one in which you have a wounded posse somewhere that is a lost cause AND the location of the Doctor's Office is not a confirmed lost cause. So you can move the lost cause posse to somewhere better and have a hand in the location benefits at the Doctor's Office. The trick with good building use is to always try and couple it with a location benefit as well.

There are more layers here as well, for instance if the wounded posse triggered an instant benefit before losing the duel, then upon being moved trigger another benefit. If the location the Doctor's Office is at also offers a benefit (available building card or winner's pot), then you could score 3+ benefits off of 2 posse.

It's just one of many building cards, most of which provide circumstantial benefits. Use them as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
kennyj wrote:

I apologize if I'm doing that. I'm just trying to help.

The Doctor's Office is circumstantial, as most of the buildings are, it is for tactical use. The circumstance that calls for the Doctor's Office is one in which you have a wounded posse somewhere that is a lost cause AND the location of the Doctor's Office is not a confirmed lost cause. So you can move the lost cause posse to somewhere better and have a hand in the location benefits at the Doctor's Office. The trick with good building use is to always try and couple it with a location benefit as well.

There are more layers here as well, for instance if the wounded posse triggered an instant benefit before losing the duel, then upon being moved trigger another benefit. If the location the Doctor's Office is at also offers a benefit (available building card or winner's pot), then you could score 3+ benefits off of 2 posse.

It's just one of many building cards, most of which provide circumstantial benefits. Use them as you see fit.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I was more concerned that we weren't playing something correctly when it came to Building abilities.

So it seems like the Doctor's Office is very situational but still might be useful once in a while if things line up correctly. My only experience so far is in 2 player games and you have less choice of buildings each turn so its possible that certain priorities might change in larger games.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situational sums it up. For example, if your wounded posse were on the same mat as the Doctor's Office porch, then it would make no sense to use Doctor's Office. But, if Doctor's Office were on a different mat, then more useful :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.