Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Monoaware seems to be the weakest ship, or put in a more positive light, it's the ship to pick if you want a challenging game

I find the difficulty with it is that there is no real way to mitigate bad dice rolls. When your rolls are awesome they are truly awesome, but when I play it's normal for me to go 5 - 7 turns without getting a single tactical die, and I ultimately die with upwards of 8 threats out. The commander's ability to block numbers on the threat dice is nice, but that is only a delay and doesn't get you closer to victory.

This is the only ship I have been unable to win with!

BUT

This is not a complaint, I think it's a fun ship to play with. I'm just wondering what other peoples' experiences with it have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree but AG8 is pretty bad too with only 6 dice. I may try Mononoaware with 8 dice as I did with AG8.

EDIT: I tried the supership with 8 dice and managed to win ... barely.

The whole 6 dice thing is problematic. There is too much chance for bad rolls with so few dice, especially in ships that need some dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
Monoaware seems to be the weakest ship, or put in a more positive light, it's the ship to pick if you want a challenging game

I find the difficulty with it is that there is no real way to mitigate bad dice rolls. When your rolls are awesome they are truly awesome, but when I play it's normal for me to go 5 - 7 turns without getting a single tactical die, and I ultimately die with upwards of 8 threats out. The commander's ability to block numbers on the threat dice is nice, but that is only a delay and doesn't get you closer to victory.

This is the only ship I have been unable to win with!

BUT

This is not a complaint, I think it's a fun ship to play with. I'm just wondering what other peoples' experiences with it have been.

I've won with all four ships with the game seeming on the easy side. The toughest ship to play was the one with the drones (can't remember the name). That one took me a two plays of walking into the same trap before figuring the strategy out.

The problem with solo games in relation to this thread is that, since there's only one player to catch rule mistakes, there are likely to be more rule errors and thus the difference between our win rates could easily be one or both of us playing a rule wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

I've won with all four ships with the game seeming on the easy side. The toughest ship to play was the one with the drones (can't remember the name). That one took me a two plays of walking into the same trap before figuring the strategy out.

The problem with solo games in relation to this thread is that, since there's only one player to catch rule mistakes, there are likely to be more rule errors and thus the difference between our win rates could easily be one or both of us playing a rule wrong.

I'd be interested to hear what you think the trap is and what strategy you discovered for AG-8.

Yes I agree on the rule. I agree that part of my problem could be my playing a rule wrong but's hard to know which it is since there are not a lot of games to watch on YouTube. It would be valuable for the author to do some demonstration games on YouTube we could watch. We could see him playing each ship and identify what rules we might be misplaying.

With this ship, I *think* you put 1 or 2 dice in the little spots 45 degrees left and right of center and fire them with 1 tactical die reading off the effect. The loss of removing a threat with the Med die is bad for flexibility when you have only 6 dice. Likewise loss of the ability to change another dice is bad for the same reason. If those things were not the case the ship would be more equivalent to Halcyon (which I regard as the best ship). The 2 threat locations are a mixed bag. On the one hand it lowers the chance you will have dice locked out when you need them, but it also threatens to overwhelm you with threats.

For me, without rule changes, I can only have even a close game (without LOADS of luck) if I play with 8 dice. Luckily I have a LOT of laser cut dice for this game.

By the way I may criticize but I really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might as well being me who plays a rule wrong that makes it easier .

The trap I'm talking about is using four drones at the same time. It seemed sooo alluring to do so, but the risk of getting all dice locked is too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mononoaware has the potential of doing a lot of damage in a short time but only if you have the dice which is not very often. The inability to stasis ships, eliminate threats (by using med dice), and change dice to other faces just kills this ship under most circumstances. You need good play and plenty of luck to win and even then the Orouboros is probably going to kill you.

The 2 threat positions seem like a little thing but it causes a constant cascade of enemy threats.

To me AG-8 AND Mononoaware are both ships for people who think Halcyon is too easy and want to lose most of the time. Yes you can win with good play and luck (not unlike solitaire) but no amount of good play is going to win very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.