1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Zombie themed board game to date? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone, just wondering opinions on the best zombie themed board game to date for 2+ players. Will be playing with the wife lol. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, seeing your new user badge: Welcome to the fantastic world of BGG!

The answer to your question strongly depends on what you are looking for...

* a good tactical/thematical/immersive game: Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game (including minis)

* A very immersive cooperative (and solo and competitive) "tower defense style" game in which you defend against hordes and hordes of Zombies: Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)

* a strategical "the world is under Zombie attack": Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead

* A game that makes you feel the suffering of a post-apocalyptic Zombie setting: Dead of Winter: The Long Night

* a fun, frantic dice roller (coop, with time pressure): Zombie 15' or Escape: Zombie City

* silly quick filler dice game: Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Pichon
France
A l'ouest !
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, the best ever is zombicide, very immersive and simple without lacking strategy for winning.

Zombicide season 1 is the best, hard to win, and with zombies that appears progressively. When there are too much zombies, you lose because you can't kill them all.
Black plague is too easy to win, with a lot of zombies that you can kill in a turn of the table.

Dead of winter I have tried it, I did not have the impression to play a zombie game, and I found it boring, doing the same action each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one my wife and I enjoy most is

Rise of the Zombies!

Some say it's very hard to win. There are a number of alternative rules to ease into the game and make it more 'friendly' The game gives a great feel of running for your life from the on oncoming zombie horde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks guys keep em coming.....

I looked at Zombicide and found it looked a little cartoony to me. Looking for little more realism. Dead Of Winter looked interesting but pretty rule heavy isn't it?

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you Mixo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
btbed wrote:
Dead Of Winter looked interesting but pretty rule heavy isn't it?

(If you fill out your collection some, people can look at your profile and tell you how its complexity compares to games you already have.)

For two, Dead of Winter has a straight co-op mode where you're both definitely on the same team (no fear of betrayal, which is what makes the game good at 3+). You might like Last Night on Earth (I think it's best with 2), but personally I would rather play Dead of Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) is pretty good.

If you are a fan of the show, The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary could be worth checking out (when it comes out, that is).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!!

Alot of people dislike this game on here, but to me it is a straightforward, fun, frantic zombie killing fest. Exploration, item collection, betrayal, and lots of dice rolls. Lots of expansions to keep things from getting stale. Overall a lot of fun, and does have some strategy (if you look for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like the Friedey's games, although if you're looking for realism, you won't find it here.

Give Me the Brain!
Lord of the Fries
Change!
The Great Brain Robbery
Dead Money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's already been mentioned, but fo emphasis for me there are really only three Zombie games that deserve to be put in a sentece with "best".

The selection depends entirely on what you want from the game, and they're all on a similar level, complexity-wise. They're all very randomm, though. No euro zombies.

Zombicide and any of it's successors. They're the shoot-em-up of the Zombie world. Move, shoot, kill, rinse and repeat. If you fancy going in full coop mode and killing hordes of Zombies per turn, Terminator-style.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak and any of it's expansions are good if you're looking for a more typical zombie survival scenario of panicky running around a small american town looking for the keys to the getaway car, or defending a manor from waves of zombies, burnign out their dens etc. It's made in the spirit of campy zombie b-movies, including its aesthetics. Good mix of fighting, running, and accomplishing objectives. Caveat, it's a teamVSteam game. Up to 2 zombies vs up to 4 heroes. In my experience it makes for a much better experience than full coop.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game somewhat more story-driven, with different scenarios focused on accomplishing different objectives and staying alive. Does not have minis, but the standees are well done. Semi-coop with personal objectives and the possibility of a hidden traitor that you want to discover. Combat is not as fun, rather a necessary evil, and the zombies are somewhat of a backdrop nuisance where you're a lot of the time more focused on surviving deficits of food, medicine etc. No spatial element, locations are cards and you only move between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An oldie but goodie for me is Dawn of the Dead (maybe the first zombie game), based on the original movie. Graphics can't compare to today's games, but it really captures the feel of the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnival Zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Darker Darkest Has you in a mansion with an ever growing horde of Zombies trying to find an antidote. It is co-op so would work well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The zombie game we like best with 2 is Run, Fight, or Die!. It's a quick dice chucker with tension, swarms of minis, and pretty thematic.

I really enjoy Dead of Winter and City of Horror, but they really don't play 2 well (if at all).

Zombies!!! is ok and fun to waste some time on with a few rules tweaks. Last Night on Earth was a complete flop for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are sooooo many zombie boardgames out now:

- Zombies!!!
- Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
- Zombicide
- Zpocalypse
- Dead of Winter (second edition)
- Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead
- Z War One: Damnation
- Dark Darker Darkest
- Dead Panic
- Escape: Zombie City
- The Walking Dead: The Board Game
- The Walking Dead Board Game: The Best Defense
- City of Horror
- Zombie Town
- Munchkin Zombies
- Run, Fight, or Die!
- Student Bodies
- Bang!: Walking Dead – We are the Walking Dead Expansion
- Zombie 15'
- All Things Zombie: The Boardgame

And then there are games that have zombies in them, but aren't really "zombie" games:
- Betrayal at House on the Hill
- Doom: The Boardgame
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
- Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
- Arkham Horror
- Eldritch Horror
- Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
- Incursion

And even games that haven't been released (i.e. kickstarter games):
- The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary
- Evil Dead 2: The Official Board Game
- Zombie Tower 3D

And then, if you want the zombies to be the heroes of the game, try Humans!!!

That was just off the top of my head. There are probably tons of other games, and even reskinned games like Monopoly/Risk/etc. As for my opinion, I still really like Last Night On Earth. It's got the best feel for simulating a horror movie. Zombicide is a great popcorn game for giving you that overwhelming feel, but it's not very deep. Play it once a year. Zombies!!! is the best for "dark humor", but our all time favorite Halloween game has got to be Betrayal, even though it's only kind of a Zombie game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a connoisseur of the genre, but I've played Dead of Winter, Zombicide and City of Horror, and of those three Dead of Winter was by far the best.

I also like Mmm…Brains! but I suspect that that's not what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you. I'm pretty new to it but I know I'm into horror genres. I really only own Walking Dead Risk and Monopoly, Clue, and just bought Fury of Dracula and Betryal at House on the Hill on a whim. (Have not tried either yet). So now looking for the zombie game lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would have to say Run, Fight, or Die! love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Hit Z Road after watching some playthroughs. Looks like a decent dice roller with GREAT artwork.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the 2 that stands out for me

Zombicide or Zombicide: Black Plague for fun
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game if you don't mind being betrayed or being a betrayer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posthuman might be worth a look. It's mutants rather than zombies, but it has a dark post-apocalyptic survival theme. It's not a co-op game, if that matters. I get kind of a roguelike Oregon Trail vibe from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
I just bought Hit Z Road after watching some playthroughs. Looks like a decent dice roller with GREAT artwork.

Cheers.

Hit Z Road was a secret hit for me from Gencon. Simple, but really great at making you feel pressured and stressed for resources!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.