15 Posts

Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: What to buy??? ahhhh rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
So I played this over the weekend and loved it. Went to look at it on bgg and North Star Games and there are so many options:

Evolution
Evolution Flight
Evolution Climate
Evolution the beginning
Evolution plant mini expansion

Two things.
1. Which ones are good I know some are expansions
2. If I wanted them all does one contain all the expansions

Love to hear your thoughts
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Van Saet
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution the beginning is a simpler spin-off so you probably don't want that.

I'd say Evolution: Climate is your best option. It's a stand-alone so if you get that you also have the base game. If you end up liking it a lot and needing more variety you can have a look at the Flight expansion.

There is no 'big box' with everything in it (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution Flight and Evolution Climate are not designed to be played together. They've given some guidance on how to combine them if you really want to, but they're not balanced to be both integrated into the game.

If you must get one, I'd recommend the stand-alone Climate. Unfortunately it won't be out for at least a couple more months. If you must have it now, then go ahead with the base game and Flight if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the guidance. Shame climate and flight don't mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'll do my best to mix them...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that very few if any of the expansions will mix. That is, I think that back when Dom first said that Climate will be stand-alone, he said that the Sea expansion will probably be the same way. His goal, iirc, is to design different experiences that players can choose from rather than emulate the entire animal kingdom at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the plant mini expansion??? :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petho22 wrote:
Thanks for the guidance. Shame climate and flight don't mix.

Here's the KS link that explains it all:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your input, the link was helpful. I think I maybe best to go with evolution. Having not played climate I may not like the climate concept so won't chance it. Evolution also gives me the opportunity to add flight, and in the few games I played with 6 players I felt the game was to short, so the extra cards in flight may help with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also wait for the reviews. Check the marginal cost of Climate vs. just the base game. You're in AUS, so there might be a definite price different the Yanks don't know about! Also, drop NSG a line if they'll have a sea KS coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
I just went through the same dilemma. Settled on Climate because I found it for almost the same price as Evolution, I can modify it to play base Evolution if I want, the Climate expansion seems to be very well integrated with minimal additional rules (Flight has more rules) and I really like how the Climate mechanics play out in larger games, adding a potential for chaos, negotiation, and bluffing.

I imagine Flight is a very little bit more complex and noticeably more confrontational. (And possibly more strategic?)

Evolution: The Beginning is half the cost, one les player, some decisions are removed/automated, and gameplay is faster. I play to teach my spouse and more casual gaming friends how to play Evolution: Climate by using the rules and deck composition from Evolution: The Beginning (as close as possible anyway).

The plan mini-expansion was an add-on from the Climate Kickstarter campaign. It's very basic, but will add additional strategy to the game, likely affecting players' choices. It's not yet available as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jacobson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
What's the plant mini expansion??? :o

Something which NSG announced in their Kickstarter for evolution: Climate: http://www.northstargames.com/collections/strategy-games/pro...

They just recently uploaded this awesome rulebook for it! Should be purchasable on their website soon. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that part of the KS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
Was that part of the KS?

Yes, read this update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I do remember that now. It was awhile ago and I had forgotten what was unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.