Hide
14 Posts

Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination» Forums » General

Subject: Anrea Tile Questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
Hi... I've got the original Mage Wars (I guess it is called Arena now?) and while I loved it I never got it to the table much. I kinda stopped paying attention to it and noticed this expansion recently that has "arena tiles" with localized abilities and attributes on them which you can "build" your Arena from., maybe even in strange shapes.

I think this is a really cool idea and I was wondering if this is the only expansion that dose this with tiles?

I'm considering buying this in the hopes of stimulating some play in my group and was thinking of getting two sets of the expansion so I can build larger boards to run team vs team or 4v4 free for all (as well as this point capture system this expansion introduces)

TL,DR

1) Is there any other expansions with arena tiles
2) Are their enough tiles to build a larger board that can play 2v2 team games or 4v4 free for all.. if not can I just use two sets of this expansion together.
3) I own Mage Wars (original) plus both Core Boxes and teh Force Commander box... is there any others you would recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently this is the only expansion with arena tiles in it. However, there is the possibility to do more of these type of expansions in the future.

Yes, the rulebook even has 2v2 and 4player ffa maps in it. If you got a second set you could build a truly enormous arena.

I'm biased and will say "buy everything". But I would start with Druid vs Necromancer. Not only are they both great in the domination scenario, but they're really unique Mages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We hope that new Battlegrouns Expansions are in the future. I see these as providing new rules, terrain tile and game play for the Arena format of Mage Wars. For example, the new Domination rules in the Battlegrounds expansion add another victory condition to Arena battles which we really enjoy.

I bought 3 sets to build large rooms, tunnels, and dungeons in the future. This would be needed for some campaign style play, but I haven't created these scenarios yet.

I always recommend that new players buy the Arena Core Set plus the Battlegrounds expansion to provide maximum play experience. The added victory condition and new team play rules in the expansion make it a great value for player options that only requires the 4 core mages.

Additional Arena mage expansions can be added later if desired. The larger expansions (Druid V Necromancer, Forcemaster V Warlord, Paladin V Siren) add new mages and play styles while the smaller Arena Spell Tome Expansions add alternate mages, spell variety, and use expansion names without mages in the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others (including official response from AW) have said, the answers are:

1) Not yet.
2) Yes.
3) all of it.

Battlegrounds Domination is especially good for team and free-for-all multiplayer matches, so if that's your goal, it's a no brainer to get this expansion. Domination mode adds an alternate win condition (besides "kill everybody else") which really makes for interesting 3-player and team games.

I own 3 copies of the core set (e.g. Mage Wars Arena), 2 copies of each Mage vs Mage expansion including Kumanjaro and Forged in Fire, and 1 copy of Domination. I don't think you'll need more than 1 copy of Domination, as you can already make maps for 4 players (team or free-for-all) with 1 copy. However, there is only 1 copy of each unique terrain tile (e.g. 1 that deals fire damage, one that corrodes, 1 that allows you to sacrifice creatures for gain, 1 that obscures, 1 that heals living and damages undead, 1 that lets you spawn orb guardians, etc), plus 2 with a spiked pit trap, and so if you want to build more symmetric maps or maps with lots of special terrain, I could see getting a second copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Cropcircles wrote:
Yes, the rulebook even has 2v2 and 4player ffa maps in it. If you got a second set you could build a truly enormous arena.

So just to be clear, a single copy has enough tiles to build a arena for a 3v3 or 4v4 game? I do not need to get a 2nd set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Cropcircles wrote:

So just to be clear, a single copy has enough tiles to build a arena for a 3v3 or 4v4 game? I do not need to get a 2nd set?

Yes.

See post directly above yours for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
dose it come with a 3rd and 4th set of activation tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it does not come with any extra action markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cropcircles wrote:
No, it does not come with any extra action markers.

... But it does come with ownership tokens to indicate who controls which orb(s), and indicate who owns other permanent spells like conjurations and (zone) enchantments. These come in red, blue, yellow and green, so if you want to play up to 4 players, I recommend buying the green/yellow action marker set (as opposed to the pink/grey set, since pink/grey isn't supported in Battlegrounds Domination) or paint an extra set of red/blue action markers from your second/third core set to make them green/yellow, like I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
important safety tip Egon... thanks. I'll make sure I get those markers...

I still do not understand the small expansions... they are alternative versions of existing mages or something? So do they have anything in them to make you want to buy them beyond new mage art and a new mage abilities? Like are they full of unique cards or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
important safety tip Egon... thanks. I'll make sure I get those markers...

I still do not understand the small expansions... they are alternative versions of existing mages or something? So do they have anything in them to make you want to buy them beyond new mage art and a new mage abilities? Like are they full of unique cards or something?

By "small expansions," I assume you mean Mage Wars: Conquest of Kumanjaro – Spell Tome Expansion and Mage Wars: Forged in Fire – Spell Tome Expansion.

These expansions include alternate mages (Beastmaster and Priest, and Warlock and Warlord, respectively) with new mage abilities and yes, new art. And yes, they are full of cards that aren't included in other expansions. They include many spells that help several different mages in addition to those featured in the box. For example, Conquest of Kumanjaro includes Wizard's Tower and Enchantment Transfusion (among several others), which are great cards for mages other than Beastmaster and Priest(ess) - but the Beastmasters and Priest(ess) probably have the most to gain from Conquest of Kumanjaro. Similarly, Forged in Fire includes some new spells that help mages other than just the Warlocks and Warlords, but there are certainly more new cards for the Warlocks and Warlords than for other mages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Ok thanks man...

I've been convinced to augment my Mage Wars set

• Battlegrounds
• Necromancer vs Durid
• Green and Yellow Action Markers
• Spell Brook Pack (what ever is available)

For now I'll hold off on the small box ones... for now.

Is there an inline deck builder like NetrunnerDB or something where I can see peoples decks an build my own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several, but OCTGN is the best, and most spported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
Several, but OCTGN is the best, and most spported.

OCTGN? I thought that was a virtual decktop.. not a online deck builder where you can see other peoples decks and chat and stuff.

I've tried using OCTGN once before for Mage Wars like a LONG time ago and all the card art was missing and stuff. I didn't like the experience much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.