Subject: Parlay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any rules prohibiting alliances and other negotiations in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the initial, unlocked rules.

Like any game, it could be ruined by excessive collusion. If players agree from the start to make permanent alliances, they probably wouldn't be a good choice to play this game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mind you, I have not played the game yet but alliances (based on what I have seen in videos and reading the rule book) might accelerate your Enmity token placement causing even more permanent hate and hostility.

I am wondering if partnerships (at least more than one Round) would create another facet of the game where you attempt to explore, raid, build, and trade - but then you always have to play to keep that alliance plus - worry about other player's ganging up on you?

It would seem (once again I have not played yet, just surmising) that there is plenty to do and worry about without constant war threats from allied players.

I also recall the designers (Rob) saying that in the early games (before Enmity) players were just having combat almost all the time. I wonder if alliances would force more of that into this game and perhaps change its balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do talk about one form of trading, reputation tokens. In those rules it is very clear you give one token for access to the power in a region, nothing else is given or bartered for.

Now for the specific question. From my plays I would say that "gentlemen's " agreements may happen. You don't bother me here now and I wont bother you over there next turn. Nothing would be in place to enforce these but this is war! These would also not involve any goods changing hands, as that seems very costly.

I think permanent alliances would be no fun and possibly ruin the best play someone should do because it would be against their ally. Why raid my ally when they will just give me the advisor I need this round and two rounds later I will give it back. Then we both benefited while spending less total resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
thomasrobb wrote:

I also recall the designers (Rob) saying that in the early games (before Enmity) players were just having combat almost all the time.

After 9 games so far, we have had only a few raids per game of sites and out of all of those games, we have only had maybe 4-5 raids combined against a player's province/ships/colonies. (though that may change as I am planning an upcoming raid early next game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.