Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing a couple of mission cards in this game is huge, and quite often game winning. Trouble is, it's random whether you get one.

I wonder if it makes sense to offer scientists a choice of missions, events and discoveries (i.e. separate decks) and then to cap the number of missions you can complete. Ie, if you get a second mission card, you only get the points of one.

I understand they throw some randomness into the game, but right now the system seems to be rather luck-driven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pratt
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know not everyone will agree with me, but I haven't found mission cards to offer a distinct advantage in the ten or so games I've played. I can see how just the right card might come up, but it seems pretty unlikely. So far, not a single person I've played with has won because of better luck with mission cards. I am not trying to criticize you. I'm curious if my experiences are the odd ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how the game is supposed to be, I consider it more casual than the average. Maybe Terraforming Mars could be better for your taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone could always draw a scientist and check what the mission is right? Then they could share and attempt a counter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danimal13 wrote:
Someone could always draw a scientist and check what the mission is right? Then they could share and attempt a counter?

Nope. Missions are secret point scoring mechanisms you sometimes draw from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kylep3483 wrote:
I know not everyone will agree with me, but I haven't found mission cards to offer a distinct advantage in the ten or so games I've played.

I think you might be right. I personally have no great problem with them, but a eurogamer who joined in our game on Friday complained about how random it all felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
In my game yesterday, I just removed all the Mission cards from the event deck, and liked it much better. I also had everyone get a second Mission card after the first Production Phase, but I'm still unsure of that. Still, no one used the Scientist's peek ability, which still feels not worth it due to the severely limited number of actions. I'm wondering if I should change it to "peek at 2 discovery cards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
In my game yesterday, I just removed all the Mission cards from the event deck, and liked it much better. I also had everyone get a second Mission card after the first Production Phase, but I'm still unsure of that. Still, no one used the Scientist's peek ability, which still feels not worth it due to the severely limited number of actions. I'm wondering if I should change it to "peek at 2 discovery cards".

I can't imagine anyone ever using the peek. It's a completely dud choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
MrMT wrote:

Yeah, the other option I was entertaining was changing the Scientist from "or" to "and". Though I'm a little worried at how that puts the first Scientist player at a disadvantage. Getting to look at two discovery cards might seem tempting to the third or fourth Scientist player, without really favoring them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
islan wrote:

We didn't like the Scientist as written (1st or 2nd edition) and tried a couple of variants. The one we stick to is to separate mission (+ action) and discovery cards:

1) Everyone gets 2 mission cards at the beginning and discards one after round 3. That way, if your first mission attempt got heavly under fire, you can still go for something else in the rest of the game (or use one of the action cards in round 3/10).

Also, the luck of the draw of the event cards can swing the game in someone's favor. Sometimes, you "waste" an action with the Scientst and draw anaction card to use in 3rd round in later rounds, whereas someone else get's an awesome second mission card.

2) We fill all open spots in the outer areas with discovery cards during setup and they stay there until the end. Everyone can look at 3 of them when using the Scientist, which gives you some info what to do in the last rounds - move out/in, or kill an astronaut of someone else to get them to even/odd numbers which don't count, which is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I'm a little confused. Each player gets two mission cards at the beginning of the game, and each applicable zone starts with discovery cards already. So, how do you get action cards?

EDIT

Oh, okay, I see now: the event deck is mission cards + actions? I take it that means you keep your two starting missions separate, since you have to discard one?

BeloW06 wrote:
The one we stick to is to separate mission (+ action) and discovery cards:

1) Everyone gets 2 mission cards at the beginning and discards one after round 3. That way, if your first mission attempt got heavly under fire, you can still go for something else in the rest of the game (or use one of the action cards in round 3/10).

Also, the luck of the draw of the event cards can swing the game in someone's favor. Sometimes, you "waste" an action with the Scientst and draw anaction card to use in 3rd round in later rounds, whereas someone else get's an awesome second mission card.

2) We fill all open spots in the outer areas with discovery cards during setup and they stay there until the end. Everyone can look at 3 of them when using the Scientist, which gives you some info what to do in the last rounds - move out/in, or kill an astronaut of someone else to get them to even/odd numbers which don't count, which is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Braga
msg tools
Maybe if you get the right combo with recourse. After you've played the game a few times you can guess what mission cards people have and look to block or minimize those goals. Great game for bringing people into the hobby though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.