Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buying a travel ticket and using it in the same turn... legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior Hadar
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ok, there's a bunch of threads about this topic but it seems like there is no conclusive answer. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Basically, to me, it doesn't feel right that I could buy a train or boat ticket as my first action, and then proceed to use it immediately in my second action and move twice. Because:

- it seems to make travel too easy and the Prepare for Travel action a little meaningless. They might have put the rule instead that when in a city you can travel twice instead of once.

- Why did they bother putting plastic tokens as tickets if I can buy a ticket and use it in the same turn, which is what most people will do? Why do I need a physical token to keep if I immediately spend it?

Am I right or wrong in my interpretation of the rule? I would love to have definite ruling on this since it changes gameplay a lot. The game's rulebook is not clear enough. It just says you can only use a ticket after performing a travel action. I wish the designers put an emphasis that says you are either allowed or not allowed to use the ticket you bought in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmen Dirksen
Netherlands
Ede GLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is legal. But you have to be connected to a train path or ship path to buy the corresponding ticket. Page 7 of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
That's fine.

Much like "full movement" in some RPGs or so, if you use your entire action allotment for something, you expect better performance, right?

Similar case:
Aquire assets with your first action, taking a Debt, using your section action to (try to) get rid of the Debt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is legal, but there are some aspects to keep in mind:
1) You can't get a ticket if there's a monster on your space
2) You might want to acquire a ticket for use on a later turn, not this one
3) As Harmen points out, you can only get a ticket matching one of your city's outgoing paths. So, for instance, you couldn't get a ticket and then use it to move London-Rome-Istanbul, because London has no train paths.
4) You could actually do a triple move if you start your turn in a city and already have a ticket - use your first action to get a second ticket, and use your second to travel and spend both tickets for extra moves.

All of these are things that would make a "move twice if you're in a city" rule really difficult to word properly and understand, so tickets as a component and rule are a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorH wrote:

- Why did they bother putting plastic tokens as tickets if I can buy a ticket and use it in the same turn, which is what most people will do?

Because, of course, using the ticket in the same turn is optional, and is not something you would always want to do.

You can take a ticket and store it for a later turn (hence the plastic token), or take a ticket and spend it in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Aligato
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

You can, can't you? What I remember is you can't Rest or Acquire Assets if there are Monsters on your space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yes, taking ticket is not blocked by monster. That makes it a typical filler action if you want to hang around a monster, quite often done without intention of take+travel in same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
demonm13 wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

You can, can't you? What I remember is you can't Rest or Acquire Assets if there are Monsters on your space.

Oh. Well, I guess it's better to learn it later than never. Might help me actually win the game eventually. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
1: You have plastic tokens for tickets? My game just has cardboard.

2: Prepare for travel used to be a lot more common before the introduction of the focus action.

Even so, as other people have pointed out, it is still useful, especially if there are monsters around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
The other, often overlooked rule, to keep in mind is that you can only use tickets for a part of the move action AFTER moving one space. That is, if I have a rail ticket and want to move two spaces and the first step is a rail path and the second is a boat path, I can't use the rail ticket to complete this motion. I would have to take the first move then use a boat ticket to do the second move step. I can't use the rail ticket then use the "free" move second because the free move always has to come first.

Taking tickets is therefore often done when you are about to move but the ticket won't immediately help you because of something like the above situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio de Souza Vieira
Brazil
São Paulo
Brasil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, to receive a picture of a base for the acrylic player, accommodating record investigator, hollow spaces for enhancing tokens, lives, sanity, tracks and travel tickets, I noticed four spaces filled with two boat tickets and two train a total of four.
By rule, I am playing with at most two tickets stored for the investigator and performing the movement in accordance with the usage rule, whether naval route is the route with the respective railway tickets.
Came the question whether the base can hold four tickets, the rule understand that I can only keep two and buy more tickets must discard down to just two.
Looking at the picture are two of each type. This is true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
2 total max, not 2 of each type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorH wrote:
Ok, there's a bunch of threads about this topic but it seems like there is no conclusive answer. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Basically, to me, it doesn't feel right that I could buy a train or boat ticket as my first action, and then proceed to use it immediately in my second action and move twice. Because:

- it seems to make travel too easy and the Prepare for Travel action a little meaningless. They might have put the rule instead that when in a city you can travel twice instead of once.

- Why did they bother putting plastic tokens as tickets if I can buy a ticket and use it in the same turn, which is what most people will do? Why do I need a physical token to keep if I immediately spend it?

Am I right or wrong in my interpretation of the rule? I would love to have definite ruling on this since it changes gameplay a lot. The game's rulebook is not clear enough. It just says you can only use a ticket after performing a travel action. I wish the designers put an emphasis that says you are either allowed or not allowed to use the ticket you bought in the same turn.

Why doesn't it seem right that you can buy a ticket and use it on the same turn? It's what you'd most likely do in real life - and in thematic games the idea is to give that thematic link by making the actions believable. As this is a globetrotting Indiana Jones take on the Arkham-style game, you'd find it a bit difficult (especially on lower player counts) if it weren't possible to travel easily.

As to a need for clarification... there is no such need. EH is a pretty literal game, it does what it says (and people generally get into more difficulties if they try to "figure stuff out" rather than just do what the game tells them). So in this case, the rules tell you the circumstances under which you can buy a ticket and tell you the circumstances under which you can use a ticket. There are no constraints about timing in the rules, so there are none.

As to why they bother with plastic(? not in my copy) tickets, it's quite common to buy one because you think that you'll need one later. Or because you're at a city with railways and you'll want to extend your move from a ship-only city on your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Hadar
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
RingelTree wrote:
1: You have plastic tokens for tickets? My game just has cardboard.

2: Prepare for travel used to be a lot more common before the introduction of the focus action.

Even so, as other people have pointed out, it is still useful, especially if there are monsters around.

Apologies, I meant cardboard, of course. I do not have a fancy shmancy edition of EH.

How does the Focus action replace Prepare for Travel? It just gives you extra re-rolls, doesn't it? You mean, it's a go-to action to perform when staying in a city and there's nothing else better to do?

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I was mistaken after all. I still think this mechanic as presented is clunky and not clear enough.

As for thematically being okay with not using the ticket at the same time I bought it: the action is called Prepare for Travel, not Travel Immediately. So for me it means what it says. "Peparing". Packing and stiff, I dunno. Do you go out the door and hop the plane the minute you buy plane tickets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorH wrote:
As for thematically being okay with not using the ticket at the same time I bought it: the action is called Prepare for Travel, not Travel Immediately. So for me it means what it says. "Peparing". Packing and stiff, I dunno. Do you go out the door and hop the plane the minute you buy plane tickets?
No, but I tend to by my train tickets at the station just before I travel. I can certainly do the same for short journeys by ship too. Of course there is no air travel in EH, so the analogy you use isn't completely relevant.

BTW, what makes you think that a round in EH is 24 hours? Have you seen how far you can travel by ship in a round? My best estimate is that a round is around a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorH wrote:
Do you go out the door and hop the plane the minute you buy plane tickets?
Why do you think there's about a minute between your "Prepare for Travel" and your "Travel" actions?

Have in mind that in this game:
In a single action you may move from one continent to another.
In a single action you are able to recover from a serious illness or injury, like broken leg.
Many mythos cards imply, and several encounters even explicitly state that they last for days or weeks.

There may be quite a lot of meantime between one action and another.
In that time you may, for example, go to a restaurant, and have some food poisoning that wasn't serious enough to give you a fancy condition card.
With game turns this long, there can be a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes that doesn't affect mechanics.

Your investigator is a living person and he needs some time to poo or take a bath, although the rules rarely mention this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Hadar
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
BTW, what makes you think that a round in EH is 24 hours? Have you seen how far you can travel by ship in a round? My best estimate is that a round is around a month.

I guess so. It just feels much shorter. But let's be honest here, I also simply reverse engineered it in order to find a thematic explanation for the way I thought this should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorH wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I guess so. It just feels much shorter. But let's be honest here, I also simply reverse engineered it in order to find a thematic explanation for the way I thought this should work.
Well, for one, I prepare for travel exactly how it's depicted in EH. Sometimes in advance, and sometimes just before the journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Given the speed of ships and trains in the 1920s, moving across America, or most of Europe, or across the Pacific, with time to stop and maybe take some R&R or a shopping spree, maybe have someone shoot at you in the process... it comes to about a week per turn. Maybe a few days more or less than precisely seven, but close enough to call it a week.

(FWIW, that's also the timeframe than Nikki said. I don't recall where the original message was, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Given the speed of ships and trains in the 1920s, moving across America, or most of Europe, or across the Pacific, with time to stop and maybe take some R&R or a shopping spree, maybe have someone shoot at you in the process... it comes to about a week per turn. Maybe a few days more or less than precisely seven, but close enough to call it a week.

(FWIW, that's also the timeframe than Nikki said. I don't recall where the original message was, though.)
A week or a month is completely moot. The key thing is that you aren't (necessarily) buying your ticket immediately before travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
[q="LiorH"]
Your investigator is a living person and he needs some time to poo or take a bath, although the rules rarely mention this.

Wait, "rarely"? As in, the rules have mentioned taking a routine poo on at least one occasion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorH wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

And that, I'm afraid, is the standard failure of a theme-based argument for a rule resolution: five people will use theme to justify six different interpretations of the rule. Because what makes "thematic sense" to one person will be incomprehensible to another. In almost all cases you have to go back to what the rules actually say (and don't say) and how the game - in general - works. Eldritch Horror is a pretty literal game (though not without some apparent grey areas in the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
[q="LiorH"]

Wait, "rarely"? As in, the rules have mentioned taking a routine poo on at least one occasion?
Not Eldritch Horror rules, as far as I remember.
The last part of that sentence was more about rules in general. That they can't and won't mention everything. With thematic games rules are needed to play, but imagination is needed for the rules to have thematic sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
[q="LiorH"]

The last part of that sentence was more about rules in general. That they can't and won't mention everything. With thematic games rules are needed to play, but imagination is needed for the rules to have thematic sense.
But the key is to get the rule correct and then create a thematic justification as a mnemonic. Not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
[q="LiorH"]

But the key is to get the rule correct and then create a thematic justification as a mnemonic. Not the other way around.
I absolutely agree with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.