BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 1p games (bonus if they can travel) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I'm sure this has been asked 1000000 times before but....

I travel for work reasonably frequently and I do sometimes get stuck in places mid week where there isn't happening in the boardgame or netrunner scenes and having a few pints at the pub every night isn't always appealing either.

So I'm asking for suggestions for 1p games that are reasonably engaging. Boardgaming for me is quite a social thing and so I have yet to find out the few games that I have tried fun by myself (space hulk: death Angel and a few coops, pandemic etc solo).

weight isn't an issue, I enjoy a range of games and complexity/Heavyweights don't scare me. however I'm probably more interested in games designed for 1 rather than something adapted to solo play.

Also if it fits easily in a suitcase with the rest of my clothing that's also a bonus, but not vital.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 1p games that can travel
Friday.

Playable on every day of the week, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the card game onirim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard quite good things about Hostage Negotiator, I still have not played it but I joined its last KS.

It's designed for one player, and the basic game comes in a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Russell
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
+1 Friday
+1 Onirim

Then, if you have Race for the Galaxy, the first expansion adds solo play and is pretty great - Race for the Galaxy: the Coming Storm

EDIT: also - while the box is unwieldy, you can really easily make Baseball Highlights:2045 solo, and a lot of people do - I put the cards and tokens in a small organizer and only have to take a couple of boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbolt Apache Leader

Awesome 1P game, and plays as a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Re: 1p games (bonus of they can travel)
Thanks guys,.

Apache and hostage definitely require further investigation, I'm not usually in to war games but Apache sounds quite interesting.

Friday is on my to check out list.

Not a big fan of race for Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 1p games (bonus of they can travel)
Follow along with these monthly geeklists for lots of great ideas. (Warning: may be hazardous to your finances.)

Solitaire Games On Your Table: October 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Messier104 wrote:
+1 Friday
+1 Onirim

EDIT: also - while the box is unwieldy, you can really easily make Baseball Highlights:2045 solo, and a lot of people do - I put the cards and tokens in a small organizer and only have to take a couple of boards.

I going to check out the app and see how that goes. If I really like it I might upgrade to the cardboard version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add a +1 for Onirim. Really fun little game with lots of variety in the new edition, and very portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
badge
i can cut with forks, and drink with potatoes. -Simo Paga 2017-
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about Coffee Roaster.

Onirim (second edition) +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
I would also add a +1 for Onirim. Really fun little game with lots of variety in the new edition, and very portable.

Variety is an understatement! If you buy the two promo card packs, there are nearly 6,000 ways to play the game by mixing and matching expansion modules and difficulty levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently traveled and took these solo games with me:

Elevenses for One (13 cards; print and play)
A Night in Deepwail Manor (33 cards; print and play; push your luck game)
Do Not Forsake Me (Oh My Darling) (18 cards; print and play; space themed strategy game)
Wipers Salient (52 cards; print and play; deck builder)
Land 6 (6 cards, 7 d6 and some cubes; print and play; area control)

You can find other popular small solo games, not print and play, on this list: Solo games you can play in 30 minutes or less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legions of Darkness but get it soon because VPG is stopping making their POD games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mage Knight Board Game always seems to win the "best solo game" polls. Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island also finishes near the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
mhalowel wrote:

Variety is an understatement! If you buy the two promo card packs, there are nearly 6,000 ways to play the game by mixing and matching expansion modules and difficulty levels.
Hmm, it still doesn't really click for me.

I much prefer playing Race for the Galaxy solo against the robot (introduced in Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm). It's also great with any number of players. Actually, it's great, period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Friday, Hostage Negotiator and Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I own all three. Friday and TAL is really good. I have only had the time to play Hostage Negotiator once, it seems ok but it is a lot of dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ACW Solitaire covers the American Civil War in 1 hour. I've also played Irish Freedom from the same designer, and Solitaire Caesar. He travels a lot and brings them with him.

Micro Space Empire is fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Davis
United States
KANSAS CITY
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden

Excellent game, high replay-ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.