5 Posts

Twin Peaks» Forums » Rules

Subject: Various newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
I've just arranged the Cedar Mountain and will try my first solo game, but I have some questions that I hope someone can help me to clarify.

1) Activation of artillery and attachment of artillery.
In the beginning setup the Confederates has some artillery on the map, color-wise they seem to belong to Ewell but there are three individual artillery activation markers. So, does these artilley brigades activate on Ewell AM's or on artillery AM's?
Also, in the reinforcements the Confederates get additional artillery, I assume they belong to Winder's division although they are light green?

2)Movement.
If a unit starts a movement entering a hex with a gradual slope, it does not pay any extra MP for that movement. So, if a unit starts its movement entering hex 2040 from 2140, it does not need to pay +1?
Also, if a unit would move from 2228 to 2227 there would be no additional cost, but if it would move from 2227 to 2326 the cost would be +1 due to sloping ground. Correct?

Another example (my first movement): Confederate 25VA starts in hex 1247 under advance orders. It enters 1346 (up one elevation) at a normal cost of one, continues to 1545, there is a stream there but no additional cost, and then it continues along the trail at ½ cost of terrain (which is one) and ends it movement at 2042. Am I right?

Then we have the cavalry. The Confederate 35VA starts in 1244 under advance orders. As I understand it can actualy, if moving along the road, utilize the cost as if under march order given that it does not supercede the stacking limits for units under march orders, which would be 4 SP. So, if it would like to, it could pay ½ MP per hex and actually reach 2231 (being extreme). Right? That would make it out of command, what would the consequence be for that unit in this case?

Thanks / Mark (editing a lot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Laubach
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theduckhound wrote:
I've just arranged the Cedar Mountain and will try my first solo game, but I have some questions that I hope someone can help me to clarify.

1) Activation of artillery and attachment of artillery.
In the beginning setup the Confederates has some artillery on the map, color-wise they seem to belong to Ewell but there are three individual activation markers. So, does these artilley brigades activate on Ewell AM's or on artillery AM's?
Also, in the reinforcements the Confederates get additional artillery, I assume they belong to Winder's division although they are light green?

When the artillery is under the command of the division commander or any of the subordinate brigade commanders then it activates using the division AMs. If Jackson is in direct command of any Confederate artillery, then those batteries activate using the three artillery AMs (4.33). Command of the artillery is assigned during the Division Orders Segment (II/C).

Winder's division is colored purple. A.P. Hill's division is light green.

Quote:
2)Movement.
If a unit starts a movement entering a hex with a gradual slope, it does not pay any extra MP for that movement. So, if a unit starts its movement entering hex 2040 from 2140, it does not need to pay +1?
Also, if a unit would move from 2228 to 2227 there would be no additional cost, but if it would move from 2227 to 2326 the cost would be +1 due to sloping ground. Correct?

There is no additional cost if a unit starts in 2140 and moves to 2040. There is also no cost for a unit starting in 2228 to move to 2227. Yes, there is a sloping ground cost moving from 2227 to 2326.

Quote:
Another example (my first movement): Confederate 25VA starts in hex 1247 under advance orders. It enters 1346 (up one elevation) at a normal cost of one, continues to 1545, there is a stream there but no additional cost, and then it continues along the trail at ½ cost of terrain (which is one) and ends it movement at 2042. Am I right?

The minimum movement cost for trails is 1 MP so 25 VA must stop in 1844.

Quote:
Then we have the cavalry. The Confederate 35VA starts in 1244 under advance orders. As I undrestand it can actualy, if moving along the road, utilize the cost under march, given that it does not supercede the stacking limits for units under march orders, which would be 4 SP. So, if it would like to, it could pay ½ MP per hex and actually reach 2231 (being extreme). That would make it out of command, what would the consequence be for that unit in this case?

Thanks / Mark (editing a lot)

The cavalry must be under March Orders to be able to move along the roads at a movement rate of 1/2 MP (9.22).

Whether a unit is in command or out of command is determined at the beginning of each turn (II/A). If the cavalry unit is out of command by the start of the next turn, then it activates with 2 AMs instead of 3 (14.26).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback. About the cavalry and moving cost; so the 9.23 rule about advancing units using road, that is limited to not paying elevation cost but does not give a general decrease in MP cost?
Kr / Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Laubach
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See 9.43. Units under Advance Orders can use the road for movement (unlike units in Attack Order), but only units in March Order get the 1/2 MP movement rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
I see now. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.