Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide newbie with a freshly opened box here...
Has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't find any threads, so here goes...

-What expansions, if you should narrow it down to a handful, would be the best to get?

-The special guest boxes are extra, playable characters, with what's needed to play them, right?

Thanks in advance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome to the madness..

I would start with deadeye walkers and boss abomination package (+/- crowz).
Once you have play the quest on the base game; and you like the game, I would advice to get the wulfburg expansion (it adds wolf and another abomination, which are really nice, love the wolf) (+/- crowz)

After this, when you get tired (if you do) you can start looking for heroes packs. Get a few depending on your taste for the art of mini. You can also come back and ask mechanics about them if that matters for you.

I`ll advice against NPCs (is the most dull mechanic of the game in my opinion, at least as cannon rules).

The extra necromancer from KS are nice, but they were KSE (= PRICEY) but you can use ANY mini to proxy them, and the deadeye box comes with extra language on which you can just write on and use them to spawn whatever you want.. houserules, necro...

enjoy and welcome to the madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like everything I've seen so far except the NPC mechanic. The vault items are very nice though - and needed, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Keep playing and feel out what you need. Are the heroes getting a bit boring? Buy a special guest box. Are the zombies getting boring? Try crows or dead eyes. Personally I've found more value in heroes, but I read a lot of differing opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nandy Velez

Puerto Rico
msg tools
mb
Still not recieved my pledge. Whats wrong with the NPCs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Gamgan wrote:

They water down the zombie deck with walkers while at the same time giving players extra vault weapons. two expansions devoted to making the game easier is definite something it didn't need. They are also pretty gamey and knock the theme down a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Gamgan wrote:

They water down the zombie deck with walkers while at the same time giving players extra vault weapons. two expansions devoted to making the game easier is definite something it didn't need. They are also pretty gamey and knock the theme down a bit.

/nods

specially dull that you get random NPCs, they are nothing special (no special stats, no special abilities, AI..) but once you collect 5 different sculpt you get no only a powerful weapon, but a powerful weapon of YOUR choice...

we homebrew them to carry the vault artifacts and it not always drop. hehe

I don't mind them much, because they were free (I just got the free box and free extra of the KS) but I would no spend money on them.. did that mistake on modern zombicide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Definitely Recommended:

-Wulfsburg: Being the only big expansion at this point, I HIGHLY recommend this one. It adds a few more heroes, the awesome wulfz (basically super runners with 3 actions per activation) and wolf-bominations (wolf/abomination hybrids... toughest zombies yet), two new tiles, and some excellent additions to the item deck (even if a few of them are a little overpowered). All around, this expansion injects a considerable amount of variety to the game. You'll get the most bang for your buck from this expansion.

-Deadeye walkers: Definitely worth owning. They are the only ranged enemies at present, which adds a whole new dimension to the game. They increase the challenge without being too fiddly. If you're looking for a smaller purchase than Wulfsburg, I think this one will have the largest meaningful impact on the gameplay more so than any of the other less expensive options.

-Abomination bosses: Really cool minis (not so mini in this case). They add some neat variety to the game. In some ways they can feel a bit anticlimactic because even though they're huge and have some interesting special abilities, they're no harder to kill than regular abominations. Abominations are fairly hard to deal with in the base game, but with Wulfsburg, the combination of certain hero abilities and item quests make them much easier to kill.

Still, I like the abomination bosses, but I would recommend not adding all of their cards at once. They don't spawn anything at the blue danger level, which tends to dilute the tension early in the game, especially if you play like we do and purposely try to delay going into the yellow danger level for as long as possible. We run with one zombie boss per game (selected randomly) to keep the deck from being too diluted early on and to give a higher chance of repeated activations later on.

Moderately Recommended:

Extra hero boxes: Nice to have, but definitely not necessary. They add some nice variety to your hero selection but that's it. I wouldn't go out of your way to get more than 2 or 3 of them unless you're a completionist. There's a lot of variety in the aesthetic style of the characters in each box, so pick based on whatever suits your tastes.

Aesthetic additions (plastic tokens, plastic doors): These are entirely aesthetic additions to the game that don't enhance the gameplay. I like having them, but they aren't even close to necessary. It all depends on how much you like to pimp out your game.

Not Recommended:

-Crowz: I find that they are way too fiddly for what they're worth. Since they ignore walls, the splitting rule comes into effect extremely often with them. And since they're not really that dangerous, they tend to dilute the tension in the game. I don't really like the minis either. They feel like a softer plastic and they tend to get tangled on everything.

-NPCs: As others have said, they just tend to water down the zombie deck, making the game extremely easy. I found that using the zombie cards from both NPC packs (24 total, I think) was way overkill, and even just the 12 from one pack still severely ratcheted down the tension. I stopped playing with them recently, but I've decided if I use them again, I will use no more than 3-4 NPC cards for the entire zombie deck.

Dealing with the NPCs is fairly fiddly, as well. You have to randomize which minis you grab (there's like 10 or 12 different NPC sculpts). We used a plastic cauldron that I'd reach into and grab the zombies from. It got tiresome really quickly. The only thing I like about the NPC expansions is the extra vault items. They certainly add some much needed variety to the available vault items, but that alone probably isn't worth the price of admission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use NPCs as regular walkers for variety, and don't add the NPC-specific cards. Unfortunately, having only two Vault weapons in the game almost begs you to get the NPC-1 box just for this reason.

I disagree on Wulfsburg as a must-have since I think it brings more fiddliness, rules inconsistencies (notably with towers), and difficulty variance for what it provides; To me, it diminishes the experience considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Dystopian wrote:

I disagree on Wulfsburg as a must-have since I think it brings more fiddliness, rules inconsistencies (notably with towers), and difficulty variance for what it provides; To me, it diminishes the experience considerably.

I still think if you're looking to add more variety to the game, Wulfsburg is far and away your best option at this point.

What aspects of Wulfsburg in particular did you find fiddly? I agree that some of the rules about towers are a little fiddly. The towers seem cool on paper, but I found they're rarely worth the trouble of using, even though all of the Wulfsburg missions are designed around them. But other than that, I can't really think of anything in this expansion that is more fiddly than the base game.

I won't disagree about difficulty variance. Some of the new weapons are considerably powerful (particularly the Vampire Crossbow), and so finding these items early on can considerably impact the game's difficulty. There's more access to weapons that do 2-3 damage, so I guess that knocks the difficulty of fatties and aboms down a peg, but I think the addition of Wulfz sorta balances it out since they are much more dangerous than anything from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All of them. :-)

Ok ok.
Wolfsburg and Deadeyes add the most variety to zombies, imo.

Followed by the boss box.

I really like having lots of heroes to choose from too.

I'm not likely the best person to ask about limited purchases, I was pretty much all in on the ks. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QuantumNinja wrote:
What aspects of Wulfsburg in particular did you find fiddly? I agree that some of the rules about towers are a little fiddly. The towers seem cool on paper, but I found they're rarely worth the trouble of using, even though all of the Wulfsburg missions are designed around them.

Maybe "fiddly" wasn't exactly the right term; the thing is, the towers add a myriad ways to game the system (wolves can see you - they move towards you - they can't see you anymore - they turn back - they see you again - etc.) and a few unclear situations (jumping up and down, etc.). The fact that all Wulfburg quests use them doesn't help.

Then there's a power creep issue; all of the 'super-items' are designed to help you fight the additional menace that wolves present, and this tends to reduce other zombies' threat. Runners become anecdotal. Deadeye Walkers are awesome because they complement other zombie's abilities and provide something new, not seen before, while not overshadowing other zombie types; Wolves just take the place of runners as the fast-moving menace - just more threatening, and the game suddenly revolves about them, when and where they pop up, how to deal with them, etc. From a thematic expansion called "Wulfsburg", I guess this is to be expected, but I wouldn't want them in all of my games. Nor the magic items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy H.
United States
Jacksonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dystopian wrote:
QuantumNinja wrote:
What aspects of Wulfsburg in particular did you find fiddly? I agree that some of the rules about towers are a little fiddly. The towers seem cool on paper, but I found they're rarely worth the trouble of using, even though all of the Wulfsburg missions are designed around them.

Maybe "fiddly" wasn't exactly the right term; the thing is, the towers add a myriad ways to game the system (wolves can see you - they move towards you - they can't see you anymore - they turn back - they see you again - etc.) and a few unclear situations (jumping up and down, etc.). The fact that all Wulfburg quests use them doesn't help.

Then there's a power creep issue; all of the 'super-items' are designed to help you fight the additional menace that wolves present, and this tends to reduce other zombies' threat. Runners become anecdotal. Deadeye Walkers are awesome because they complement other zombie's abilities and provide something new, not seen before, while not overshadowing other zombie types; Wolves just take the place of runners as the fast-moving menace - just more threatening, and the game suddenly revolves about them, when and where they pop up, how to deal with them, etc. From a thematic expansion called "Wulfsburg", I guess this is to be expected, but I wouldn't want them in all of my games. Nor the magic items.

Can't you just use the minis and their cards, and leave the fiddly stuff behind?

My plan is to get just about everything (except the 9 gazillion heroes) and just add variety to the game. I don't really need new rules or mechanics, just new baddies and maps and such. Omit anything that just becomes trouble. Take the vampire bow out and things like that?

Use the NPCs as normal zombies with a rare chance of random vault drop and so on like others have said?

Is that not a realistic goal? I really enjoy ZBP, just wants to keep adding to it to give a bit of variety. Change the heroes up now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lokruin wrote:
Dystopian wrote:
QuantumNinja wrote:

Can't you just use the minis and their cards, and leave the fiddly stuff behind?

My plan is to get just about everything (except the 9 gazillion heroes) and just add variety to the game. I don't really need new rules or mechanics, just new baddies and maps and such. Omit anything that just becomes trouble. Take the vampire bow out and things like that?

Use the NPCs as normal zombies with a rare chance of random vault drop and so on like others have said?

Is that not a realistic goal? I really enjoy ZBP, just wants to keep adding to it to give a bit of variety. Change the heroes up now and then.

Perfectly reasonable.
Personally I like the magic weapons and the towers... But the game is a great sandbox, play it how you will enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to share my experience in case it helps. I didn't get the game on kickstarter, so I don't have any of the exclusives, which changes the perspective a little bit, especially regarding getting more heroes. I also only play solo, so this is based on a purely personal experience.

Right now I have the base set, hero box-1, two guest boxes (Jovem Nerd and Naïade) and NPC-1.

The first thing I got after the base set was the hero box-1. Since Wulfsburg was too big and expensive, and most guest boxes had not been released at the time, this was a good way to get extra heroes, which I think is a most for those of us who do not have all the kickstarter extras. The box itself has a good variety of heroes, with abilities you don't get in the base set. My favorites are Julian (I really wanted to have a thief-like character) and Tucker (I loved the miniature and shove is an excellent ability).

The two guest boxes I have, I got mainly because I liked the art/sculpts and abilities of the heroes. I wanted in particular to have another wizard-like character (Apprentice Milo) and more traditional looking knight/paladins (from the Jovem Nerd box). I was also interested in the characters with +1 damage to add alternative ways to kill the abomination, but I have found that they sometimes make killing it a bit too easy. In the case of Naïade you also get an additional necromancer.

My recomendation for both the hero box and guest boxes is to think which heroes you like (and which ones you don't) and think about which ones add more variety in terms of abilities and looks.

I finally got NPC-1 in order to get the extra vault items (I wish they should had been included in the base set!). I chose NPC-1 over NPC-2 because I didn't care at all about the "shotgun" and really wanted the heavy crosbow.

Unlike most previous commenters, I don't find the NPC rules that problematic. I don't mind watering down the deck, and I like the idea of collecting the different zombies to get a random vault weapon, it takes away the need to necessarily run to the vault to get them, while giving you more variety. (What I do to randomize is assign a number to each type of NPC and roll a die).

My only real complaint with the NPC-1 is that I wish the insert had enough space to keep the miniatures on their white-colored bases. It is such a hazzle puting them on and off (though they do help differentiate them from the regular zombies)!

Right now I am considering getting the zombie bosses (to, again, are more variety and increase the difficulty) and probably wulfsburg later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
My reasoning behind the expansions is a little different from others I'd say... but ended up getting:

* Base Game
* Wulfsburg
* Hero Box 1
* Deadeye Walkers
* Abomination Bosses

Basically I went all-in with the Massive Darkness KS, so decided at that point to jump on board Z:BP since at the very least it'll expand the Massive Darkness game for me (cross-over set adds in extra heroes/mobs & roaming monsters from Z:BP). For me my favourite add-on is definitely the Deadeye Walkers, they really change the flow of the game much more than Wulfsburg/Abomination Bosses. But I'd rate all the expansions really well worth having.

I'm not really seeing a lot of value in the special hero boxes but maybe that's just me... whistle

Ended up REALLY liking Z:BP so I just got the below as extra add-ons to provide a little more variety in terms of monsters & a little extra flair in terms of components meeplemeeple
* Murder of Crowz
* 3D Doors & Plastic Tokens

Would love the NPC-1 & 2 boxes but really it would only be for added vault card variety, nothing more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Unfortunately, having only two Vault weapons in the game almost begs you to get the NPC-1 box just for this reason.

THIS. Most of the NPC discussion is burying the lead. I think most of us got them to get the extra vault cards. Two in the base set is rather lame. Having the extra cards means you can actually be surprised by what you find in there.

I put my KS pledge away until they delivered the rest of it, which only recently arrived. I'll dive back in soon. Off the top of my head, I agree that Deadeye Walkers are a high priority since ranged combat is a significant change. Wulfsburg is cool, but it does add a lot of very powerful weapons to the equipment deck. Likewise, a few of the guest boxes add some very powerful starting abilities. Which almost necessitates getting the abomination pack and extra foes like Deadeyes and Crowz to keep the challenge balanced. Luckily, you have a lot of control over your spawn and equipment decks, so you can tune things to your liking. That level of flexibility is a big part of the appeal for me. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.