Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
As the book says "Don't pull out your Bat'leth" - this is a 4x game with a strong leaning towards the latter (eXterminate). This is because the Feds, left unmolested and with moderate luck should be able to out-culture both the Klingon (who needs to fight to gain bonuses) and the Romulan (who must research to gain bonuses and is therefore rewarded for going heavier on research nodes) and therefore win every time. So what can new players do to counter the initial learning curve of 'Fed OP-ness' ?

1) Make first contact early. This may be against your better judgement but go with it. Just by having a route to rivals forces them to alter their investment strategy.
Even one or two ships can cause havok if allowed to go on the offensive because a single hit kills a planetary node.

2) Understand the combat mechanics.
- Attacks generally take place from adjacent locations.
- Multiple adjacent forces attack one adjacent location for one command (in effect it's the combat location which is 'active' and all adjacent locations can then pile in).
- If you win you can then make an impulse move.
- You keep fighting until one side runs or dies.
- There's no limit to what you can do if you have the commands available ; a fleet can move, fight, move, fight, invade, move, invade, etc.
- When conducting invasions the attacker selects killed nodes. This means one ship can 'surgical strike' against a culture node or other important target.

3) Understand the maneuver mechanics.
- You cannot move through an enemy ship on a space lane at all except by tech.
- You can always move through systems you own regardless of enemy presence
- Fleets in warp are nowhere, you can have the biggest fleet in the galaxy in warp and get jumped and smashed to bits.
- Fleets in warp are nowhere, they can appear and smash others to bits.
- Because an enemy cannot enter your space you can defend on the 'other side' of a nasty phenomena to force them to roll as they come to you. The same applies to a planet with it's own hazard.
- An unconquered system that you occupy (a blockade) doesn't lose the owner any resources or do anything more than in any other space.

4) A few rules you might miss
- You can have on the map fleets equal to your ascendancy level.
- You can have on the map starbases equal to your ascendancy level.
- A fleet disbands immediately when there are only two ships in it.
- To brave a phenonema and take a research token you must roll to die, even if you don't move. It also costs a command.
- You can spend several research commands to burn through the research deck in a turn, looking for something good.

5) Federation
- Feds won't be doing planetary invasions so if you do need to invade something you can wipe out the space fleet but you need culture to take the planets with Hegemony actions.

[edited to add that enemy fleets don't prevent movement through friendly systems]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
#4 - brave hazard - you only have to spend a command if you want to brave a hazard and didn't move onto the spot this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
stuuk wrote:

- You cannot move through an enemy ship at all except by tech.
- An unconquered system that you occupy (a blockade) doesn't lose the owner any resources or do anything more than in any other space.

A few quick comments on these points.
A rival's ship, which is hostile, or even one which is not hostile where permission to pass is not given, blocks movement in sectors you do not control. This means if enemies surround (edit: orbit) one of your planets while it is still under your control, you may pass those enemies as you wish (it may be a better move to stop in the system to engage or otherwise force a space battle, but I guess it depends). This rule seems more important with some of the Ferengi powers we've recently learned about in the previews.

As for starbases, you may have any number, no matter your Ascendancy. You may only commission one starbase per Ascendancy, but controlling a rival's starbase is at no penalty.

Of course, please let me know if I am mistaken, but those are a couple of points I had to read carefully a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
guthmundur wrote:
stuuk wrote:

A rival's ship, which is hostile, or even one which is not hostile where permission to pass is not given, blocks movement in sectors you do not control. This means if enemies surround one of your planets while it is still under your control, you may pass those enemies as you wish (it may be a better move to stop in the system to engage or otherwise force a space battle, but I guess it depends). This rule seems more important with some of the Ferengi powers we've recently learned about in the previews.

As for starbases, you may have any number, no matter your Ascendancy. You may only commission one starbase per Ascendancy, but controlling a rival's starbase is at no penalty.

Of course, please let me know if I am mistaken, but those are a couple of points I had to read carefully a couple of times.

Do you have a page reference for the ship movement? Because I think enemy ship block you even if it's your system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
guthmundur wrote:
stuuk wrote:

A rival's ship, which is hostile, or even one which is not hostile where permission to pass is not given, blocks movement in sectors you do not control. This means if enemies surround one of your planets while it is still under your control, you may pass those enemies as you wish (it may be a better move to stop in the system to engage or otherwise force a space battle, but I guess it depends). This rule seems more important with some of the Ferengi powers we've recently learned about in the previews.

Do you have a page reference for the ship movement? Because I think enemy ship block you even if it's your system.

page 11, bottom under entering rival territory, "you may always move through systems you control regardless of any rival presence"

also keep in mind you cannot control space lanes. so rivals who place ships in space lanes will block your movement.

personally i think if you control both systems to the sides of a space lane you should control the space lane, i might house rule that i find it makes sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.