$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

North American Railways» Forums » General

Subject: First Impression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
My copy arrived on Thursday. I opened the box to eagerly look at the contents;



10 wooden trains, 5 counters, a deck of small cards (44mm x 68mm) and flick book of paper money. All for The MRSP of €35. I got the pre-order deal of €29 but even so I am massively disappointed that such a sum earns so few components. The box isn't exactly big but it could be a quarter of the size. With no lavish artwork to offer some reasoning for the price tag, I'm at a loss as to how this price point was calculated.

To date I have been very impressed by the Speilworxx product. North American Railways will unfortunately mean the autobuy attitude is parked until I can properly see whats in the box.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Spielworxx games are always on the expensive side. Few copies made I guess but I don't care if the game is good. Probably the money went to developing too then
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially when buying from small boutique publishers we're paying for development rather than components. That said, I'd be equally disappointed if I'd bought that blind for 30 EUR.

I'm a Spielworxx fan myself, and yes, their titles are always on the expensive side, but their previous games have offered 6-10x more physical content for only 3-4x the price.

If that's anything less than the card game of the year that price is highway railway robbery for what's being picked up and delivered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
53804 Much
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were just 600 copies made. That's possibly the main reason.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
There were just 600 copies made. That's possibly the main reason.


Splotter and Alban Viard have done plenty of 500 copy releases, many even hand assembled, and always delivered dramatically more content per euro so that's not much of a justification either.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand, still if the game is fun it is well worth it. Let us know after you play what you think
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a bit light on components but having played it, it's well worth the money. I'll have to see how it stands up to repeated plays.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't enjoy it, you'll easily make your money back as the game will be hard to get. If you do enjoy it, it was worth the money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
If you don't enjoy it, you'll easily make your money back as the game will be hard to get. If you do enjoy it, it was worth the money.


That goes without saying, and can also be used to justify any purchase no matter how exorbitantly priced. I've personally paid huge sums for games even more slight than this one but that's entirely besides the point.

Nick is still doing a service by sharing exactly what is being delivered with others and his candid thoughts about that.

It allows others to make an informed decision and perhaps even head off the disappointment of others who may feel the same way when their much anticipated delivery arrives.

Subjective valuation rationales aside (it's fun! it's rare!) as long as countless reviews and posts regularly applaud other releases for how much value they deliver in the way of physical components for their price, it's just as relevant and worthy of discussion when the contrary is true.

Of course gameplay is king, but there's a reason virtually every review also covers component quality and value, because these things do matter to some people and no one should be dismissive about that.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Edward J Grug III wrote:
If you don't enjoy it, you'll easily make your money back as the game will be hard to get. If you do enjoy it, it was worth the money.


That goes without saying, and can also be used to justify any purchase no matter how exorbitantly priced. I've personally paid huge sums for games even more slight than this one but that's entirely besides the point.

Nick is still doing a service by sharing exactly what is being delivered with others and his candid thoughts about that.

It allows others to make an informed decision and perhaps even head off the disappointment of others who may feel the same way when their much anticipated delivery arrives.

Subjective valuation rationales aside (it's fun! it's rare!) as long as countless reviews and posts regularly applaud other releases for how much value they deliver in the way of physical components for their price, it's just as relevant and worthy of discussion when the contrary is true.

Of course gameplay is king, but there's a reason virtually every review also covers component quality and value, because these things do matter to some people and no one should be dismissive about that.


I wasn't being dismissive, I was pointing out that it's a lucky case where the OP will likely break even or make a profit if they don't enjoy the game. This isn't usually the case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
I wasn't being dismissive, I was pointing out that it's a lucky case where the OP will likely break even or make a profit if they don't enjoy the game. This isn't usually the case.


That wasn't directed only at you Robert but at all those who take the position of "if the game is great it doesn't matter how much or little is in the box".

I've done it myself on more than one occasion! In this case the gap between price and contents happens to be even wider than usual though and that's certainly noteworthy.

If the game is only good, I'd personally rather invest in something else. If the game is truly exceptional then it will surely be picked up by another publisher and be sold with a significantly cheaper price.

Especially when given the small amount of components (which means low overhead to reproduce) this is even more ripe for licensing than usual.

I'm genuinely grateful that many feel their money was well spent and I'm also grateful that Nick shared the picture and his experience.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook, in which the components are listed, has been online for months. I don't know when people placed their order, but I think the rulebook was online when you could still pre-order.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
The rulebook, in which the components are listed, has been online for months. I don't know when people placed their order, but I think the rulebook was online when you could still pre-order.


The rulebook went on line in the middle of July, I placed my order way before then because the delivery was supposed to be in August. Regardless there were no images posted on the contents and neither was the size of the components illustrated or detailed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add the following points to the component discussion

- The box looks really nice and sturdy
- The white (not purple like they should be) trains irk me quite a bit
- I can live with the paper money since RAW says to keep it hidden (not sure I will do so)
- The oversized wooden trains (instead of a simple director certificate) seem a bit unnecessary to me, especially given the high price point.

This should have been a card game in regards to packaging and price. I bought it sight unseen because of the designer, not because of Spielworxx. For me Spielworxx has been hit or miss the last couple of years.

The good news are, after a couple of hours with the game, that it seems quite intriguing to me. It is a valuation, cash management and incentive manipulation mashup, with quite straightforward rules. Strategy -wise it is quite opaque, winsome-like, and works well 3-5p. I have seen a few first glimpses of possible valuation mistakes and errors in strategy, but it's too early to say whether the game has legs. I like it so far, except from the hidden money which I think was done for AP limiting purposes, but is something I generally dislike.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice now, both times with open money, and haven't noticed adverse side effects. Open money is fine.

I could easily see this being published by Winsome - it's very much a that kind of game.

But you're right - this should've been a card game. It'd just be 82 cards, it'd fit nicely in a small card game format and cost 10 euros.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah...this is silly.



For reference, everything fits in the Trick of the Rails box, but I guess they can't charge €35 for that.



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.