Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Schäfer
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo,

I really know near to nothing about their games but am attracted to their traditional wargaming look...

Is there an AI included and if this is true, how capable is the AI?
Sometimes I remember the old battleground series games (Antietam, Gettysburg,...) of the 90s which had a nice system but were only to be enjoyed against a human opponent.

With kind regards
Johannes

http://www.matrixgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are (mostly?) a publisher, and the answer will depend a lot on what developer made a game (and how much effort was put on ai, and how easy to make a good ai the game was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do publish some great games and then some not so great games. The previous post about the publisher is excellent advice. If you see a game you think you would like, check out and see if there is a replay on YOUTUBE. I have found that to be very helpful. I do own a number of Matrix games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day I enjoyed Steel Panthers and the last in the line restricted your units to being ordered rather than wondering all over the battlefield. I liked this idea and would like to see a similar thing in tactical board wargames.

The AI as far as I can remember was decent but it depended on the scenario how easy or hard it was. Later versions included home made scenarios which made the AI a little more haphazard. But overall it was a good system and I enjoyed it, whether it stands the test of time I don't know but it is worth a look and at least the latest version, and maybe all the versions, is a free download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix games publishes a lot of great wargames and most come with decent AI, in my experience. However, most games can be won by a player with competent play, as it should be.

Two recent Matrix purchases of mine are 'Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear' and 'Heroes of Normandie'. The AI in both games is good enough to provide a challenge, so you have to think about your moves, plan ahead and maintain a simple reserve, even if it's only 1-2 units.

These are tactical games and play at a small scale, in both cases. Interestingly, these are both tabletop wargames, as well. They are great games in both formats and I recommend them heartily, either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Schäfer
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.
Heros of Normandy captured my attention cause the nice blending of boardgame and pc-graphics and any title with a boardgame background should be tested in some way. The AGEOD titles also look great although I am not sure if the AI can handle somehthing as complex as the ACW with multiple fronts, axes of advance, economy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the American War for Independence games from Ageod and they are quite good, actually. The AI is pretty competent in these games and provides a tough challenge. Since the ACW games came later in the series, I can only imagine the AI getting better in these titles. They are definitely worth a look, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
. . .'Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear' . . . The AI in both games is good enough to provide a challenge, so you have to think about your moves, plan ahead and maintain a simple reserve, even if it's only 1-2 units.

Get beyond the 10 core scenarios in the PC game and the AI quality falls off considerably. Stay away from this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Hark
msg tools
I've heard taht a new game in the Strategic Command Series is in the making, and seems to features a very strong AI.
I've played the other two back in the days, and they were very well made.

In case you are interested (as me :-)) this is the link to the product page.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/504/details/Strategic.Co...:.War.in.Europe

Apparently there is also a kind of "blog" and one of the entry was about the AI used in this game

http://www.matrixgames.com/SC/Blog_2.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should maybe check out Tigers on the Hunt.

It's very much an ASL style game and the AI is supposed to be very good. An editor included so a lot of user created scenarios and content coming out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.