Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Amazon] Forbidden Stars 76.95 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi all,
Looks like Amazon is expecting to have FS in Stock on 10/4.

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-FS01-Forbidden/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't pass this up, since I've been close to grabbing the game for $110-120 on eBay...

Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering (hoping) if Fantasy flight is going to do one last batch of reprints of all the games under the radar. I'm seeing a few copies of games that were out of stock back in stock. My hope, specifically is they do this for Chaos In the Old World, so i can get my hands on a copy without spending a fortune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally just bought the last copy from my FLSG yesterday for $80. Sadly they were already sold out of Chaos in the Old World. They did have 5 copies of Fury of Dracula but I don't have any interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG holds the rights till next February and has an exclusive relationship with their manufactorer. There's no reason they can't roll several reprints between now and then. People just got a little wild when the announcement came out and didn't really think it through.

That said, $75 is one of the lowest prices I've seen yet, so unless this hits a Christmas sale, it's a super hot deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everlong205 wrote:
My hope, specifically is they do this for Chaos In the Old World, so i can get my hands on a copy without spending a fortune.

Ditto. I'm really kicking myself for never picking up Chaos in the Old World and the expansion through any of the many geeklist auctions I passed on over the last few years. I could have had the base game and horned rat for under $50 shipped multiple times soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
FFG holds the rights till next February and has an exclusive relationship with their manufactorer. There's no reason they can't roll several reprints between now and then. People just got a little wild when the announcement came out and didn't really think it through.

That said, $75 is one of the lowest prices I've seen yet, so unless this hits a Christmas sale, it's a super hot deal!

Um...actually a lot of us did think it through. The issue with reprints is it takes time. Time that FFG doesn't have. Unless they were to air freight the reprints, they really have no time to start the presses and get things shipped. Especially now that the 7th largest cargo shipper who accounts for 10% of marine shipping has declared bankruptcy.

When FFG removed all Games Workshop items from the reprint schedule was all the info you needed that they were done.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're the largest production house in the industry short of the big global toy companies with four months left on the licensing deal. I'd wager you can buy Forbidden Stars, Fury of Dracula, and whatever else come December. Likewise there's certainly a liquidation section of their agreement that allows for the movement of leftover stock without having to just destroy it. A sale in January wouldn't surprise me.

But hey, I paid less than OLGS prices just now for a game that people think is going to worth hundreds of dollars any minute, so I feel pretty good about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OBrien
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG holiday sale this year will be great, but expect items to go fast because of speculators. Unless they do a 1 per customer thing. But I don't think that'll happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad that this is considered a "hot deal" now. It went for $60-something regularly before the announcement, yikes.

Glad I picked it up for $55 a week before the announcement... lol. That turned out to be a fortunate purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure to tell them to put it in a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krumlauf
United States
California
flag msg tools
sirgalin wrote:
They're the largest production house in the industry short of the big global toy companies with four months left on the licensing deal. I'd wager you can buy Forbidden Stars, Fury of Dracula, and whatever else come December. Likewise there's certainly a liquidation section of their agreement that allows for the movement of leftover stock without having to just destroy it. A sale in January wouldn't surprise me.

But hey, I paid less than OLGS prices just now for a game that people think is going to worth hundreds of dollars any minute, so I feel pretty good about that.

Because they're experienced with production is exactly the reason they won't be trying to rush any reprints before their contract expires.

Once they understood that they wouldn't get the renewal on the licence you can bet they stopped placing orders with their production subcontractors in China. It's flat out bad business to risk getting stuck with lots of stock that one can't move or worse, have a hang up during production where deadlines are missed and stock isn't delivered before their licenses expire where they will have incurred substantial expense without receiving a product that they can sell.

No, the win here is to use the spike in demand to clear their warehouse of any remaining stock at the retail margin they've already established.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kai fai wong
United States
san gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pick up an copy.my willpower is lacking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
I refuse to believe FFG and GW will leave these games in Glory to Rome limbo. Too much money on the table. We'll see reprints in some form within two years.

In the words of Dr. Ian Malcolm, "business finds a way".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
I refuse to believe FFG and GW will leave these games in Glory to Rome limbo. Too much money on the table. We'll see reprints in some form within two years.

GW is only now, after going on the verge of bankruptcy, publishing new versions of games that gamers have rabidly demanded for decades. I wouldn't hold my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krumlauf
United States
California
flag msg tools
cunning stunt wrote:

Fury of Dracula perhaps. It's a GW property.

Forbidden Stars and Chaos are problematic. They are FFG productions using GW IP. The break up may be about them entering into direct competition in the miniature and board game spaces. If so, games that require cooperation between both companies to produce are very unlikely. I don't think these 2 games well be reprinted any time in the near future.

I do expect GW will be GW and change direction randomly within the next 5 years, however, so who knows what will happen to their IPs long-term. They don't do consistency. They do short term quarterly stockholder targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the likelihood that the business relationship is ending because GW has started publishing board games again, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new edition of Fury of Dracula before long. Whether that new edition will be *better* than the current third edition, who can say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There wasn't an option for either box or no box. So, it should be automatically shipping in a box. I might contact customer service to make sure though.

Amazon said it ships in box. She said the warehouse deals are the ones that ship w/out a box unless you check to have it boxed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Armstrong
United States
Rolette
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the plunge. Figure I could sell it easily enough if it's not my cup of tea or if its systems get reimplemented with a FF property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
Considering the likelihood that the business relationship is ending because GW has started publishing board games again, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new edition of Fury of Dracula before long. Whether that new edition will be *better* than the current third edition, who can say?

Who says Asmodee didn't end the partnership so they didn't have to hand over part of their profit to another company? That would then loose a revenue stream for GW, drop its value, and make it a ripe target to be bought by Asmodee. That doesn't sound as far fetched as it would have a couple years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

I agree. GW owns Fury of Dracula and the 1st edition rules, so they may create the 4th edition. Forbidden Stars is an updated Starcraft, so FFG owns the rules and can reskin it. They could also resting Chaos in the Old World.

But currently, Games Workshop makes more money licensing their IP than creating their own games. A few months ago they were at a Las Vegas IP trade show to showcase the Warhammer IP. In otherwords, they are apparently interested in selling the board game rights to someone else.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Inquirer

Virginia Gardens
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
price dropped a bit to 75.02. If you want to avoid tax, check third party seller Book Depository which has it for 71.05 + 4.99 shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Meeplemart and Boardgame bliss in canada have some in stock. $115 CDN....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it for $62 from bookdepository before they upped the price. This is way cheaper than buying it from boardgamebliss as after currency conversions its over $96 USD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I don't think you'll see Fury of Dracula coming out from GW anytime soon as it doesn't have anything to do with Warhammer (40k or Sigmar) and every board game they've done in their current renaissance is really a Warhammer tie-in. More likely is that they'll either sell the license out to someone else or sit on it.

As far as the other two games, FFG will probably just re-skin them with another license. After all, I believe Forbidden Stars was previously a Starcraft game.

Personally, being a 40k lore fan, I was going to get Forbidden Stars if it ever dropped below $50, but having seen it played at a local gaming group, it just looks boring, so I never stressed that. I'll see what FFG does for their Black Friday warehouse sale, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.