Subject: Scuttle question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have successfully scuttled my IXA on June 40 and am able to be reassigned to a newer u-boat. Do I...

A) End the game since it is now Sept. 40 and no new u-boats are available?

B) Get a newer u-boat anyways and start my new patrol assignment on Sept. 40?

C) Refit until a new u-boat is available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clifford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeadNorth wrote:
I have successfully scuttled my IXA on June 40 and am able to be reassigned to a newer u-boat. Do I...

A) End the game since it is now Sept. 40 and no new u-boats are available?

B) Get a newer u-boat anyways and start my new patrol assignment on Sept. 40?

C) Refit until a new u-boat is available?

Presumably by "successfully scuttled" you mean that you rolled 2-10 and were rescued in accordance with 10.9.4? If you scuttled due to flooding (10.9.2) then either way for you the war is over...

I don't understand why you think that there are no "new" U-boats available in September '40 - according to 4.2.2 Type IXB boats were introduced in April '40 so why not set up on a IXB and continue the game? If it were before April '40, I'd just reassign to another IXA and continue. Bear in mind that once you start on a particular type (VII or IX) that's what you stay with for the entire war (or until your luck runs out) - see Rule 11.4.4.

I think the use of the word "newer" is the source of confusion here - my reading of the rules is that you get a new boat of the latest type - so if the boat you just lost is the "current" model, that's what you get to replace it with.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on *why* you scuttled your ship (see 10.9, Scuttling). Why did you scuttle your ship? If it was due to 10.9.4 (both diesels inoperable and crew rescued) then you can continue in a new boat. In many other case, the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clifford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeadNorth wrote:
Got it. Game over.

It's never game over - just a chance to restart and do better next time

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nurglepus wrote:
DeadNorth wrote:
Got it. Game over.

It's never game over - just a chance to restart and do better next time

Andrew

Right! This game totally has this "just one more time" thing going for it. It consumes my life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dead,

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! "It consumes my life" gave me a chuckle

Whenever you DO get a chance to upgrade (ie, scuttling due to both diesels out and a rescue, or an upgrade token) the phrase "newest boat" just means you can pick from whatever is currently available....this may or may not be a newer model. For example, if you're in a VIIC and want to stay in Type VIIs, it's perfectly acceptable to take out another VIIC. But the upgrade rule is there for folks in VIIA or VIIB to upgrade to a C, or the same thing for a IXA up to a IXB or a IXC, etc. So the upgrade may or may not be useful once you're in the best boat of that line.

Take care, and happy hunting!

Greg
Game Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
"Over??!!??......was it...over when the Germans bomber Pearl Harbor??"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.