Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denny Dukes
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Tribune card allow a maximum of one colonist I can build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

Yes.

Both the rules and card say can also purchase 1 new colonist.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BTW, I don't get why the "build a colonist" part comes after the "take back all your cards in hand" part on this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
BTW, I don't get why the "build a colonist" part comes after the "take back all your cards in hand" part on this card.

Aren't they 2 independent things which you do, so the order in which they appear on the card is arbitrary, so one order is just as good as the other...?

Or does it make some difference (which I'm not seeing) whether you build the colonist or take back the cards first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:

Cause if you print words on top of each other it makes them all hard to read?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:

The first part - "take back all your cards in hand" - also includes "receive 1 sestertius per card past the 3rd."

With the Salsa expansion you can use the Quintus tile (if you have it) to buy food for 2 sestertii each.

Because Tribune lets you get sestertii first before building a colonist, you can use those sestertii to buy food (with Quintus), and then use the food to build a colonist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
beri2 wrote:

The primary action of playing the Tribune card is taking your cards back into your hand. This is not an optional action, and depending on the number of cards you take back in your hands, you may get sesteri. Every time you play the Tribune card, you will take your cards back into your hand, and if you take 4 or more cards back, you will receive sesteri.

The placement of a colonist is a secondary, optional action that you MAY take when you play a Tribune card. If you do not have both a tool and a food, you cannot place a colonist, but this does not prevent you from playing the Tribune card.

So, it is logical that the primary action would be listed before the secondary, optional action.

In terms of action order, a previous poster has given an example where getting more coins might help you with the placement of a colonist (I have never had this occur, but it could happen). I cannot imagine a scenario where placing the colonist first would affect or change the taking of your cards back into your hand or the amount of sesteri you would receive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PepsiFizz wrote:
The placement of a colonist is a secondary, optional action that you MAY take when you play a Tribune card. If you do not have both a tool and a food, you cannot place a colonist, but this does not prevent you from playing the Tribune card.
This does not convince me.

gillum wrote:
Because Tribune lets you get sestertii first before building a colonist, you can use those sestertii to buy food (with Quintus), and then use the food to build a colonist.
This does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
PepsiFizz wrote:

gillum wrote:
This does.

Nevertheless, the reason given by Byron is clearly the right one (IMHO), since Quintus is a Forum card contained in the Salsa expansion, and I'm pretty sure Mac didn't originally plan the Tribune card with "Quintus" on his mind cool With the base game rules, there's absolutely no difference in the action order (of the Tribune card).
BTW it's quite normal to list actions on cards/spaces with the mandatory actions first and the optional following. Agricola, just to cite the most blatant example...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
PepsiFizz wrote:

I'm still confused what your objection is. Do you think that the 2 sentences should have been listed in the other order, with "place colonist" first? If so, why?

If not (i.e. if you agree that (in base game rules) it makes no difference in what order you do them), then, well, what difference does it make? Why question or complain about the order they appear in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
PepsiFizz wrote:

gillum wrote:
This does.

You're putting the cart before the horse. The game could have been designed either way.

They picked a way to design it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm still confused what your objection is. Do you think that the 2 sentences should have been listed in the other order, with "place colonist" first? If so, why?
Just for practical reasons, so that you still have the card in front of you, easy to read, while you are buying the colonist, and only then take back all your cards (the "biggest" part), marking the end of your turn (and cycle) in a glorious way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
russ wrote:
Just for practical reasons, so that you still have the card in front of you, easy to read, while you are buying the colonist, and only then take back all your cards (the "biggest" part), marking the end of your turn (and cycle) in a glorious way.

Fair enough, although the practical advantage of that seems pretty negligible. (Nothing prevents you from placing your colonist before you take your cards back, if you're worried that somehow you'll forget to do it after you take your cards back...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You may do X, then do Y.
2. Do X, then you may do Y.

It is easy to misread 1. such that you think you can only do Y if you also do X. I.e. you read it as:

You may (do X, then do Y).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.