2 Posts

Watson & Holmes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative variant for 3 players or less. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jude Melon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I played the first case with three players and I enjoyed it, but it was somewhat lacking since as predicted the players didn't feel the need to block or get in each other's way.

I have given it a little consideration and wondered if this might make for a better game with less than 4 people...

Watson and Holmes <4 variant.

At the beginning of each visiting (bidding) phase, the lead player chooses one space (adjacent to Scotland Yard) to be locked by a Police token.

The next turn the lead player chooses a space adjacent to this to be locked down. This continues each turn. It simulates the police force's own investigation hindering that of the detectives.

If the police tokens run out skip this action. Of course players will be forced to used lock picks or call off tokens (which will replenish the police tokens).

Would this work? Thoughts welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JCMelon wrote:
I played the first case with three players and I enjoyed it, but it was somewhat lacking since as predicted the players didn't feel the need to block or get in each other's way.

It's my only gripe with the game and the reason I'm not playing it as much as I would want. I wish the designer would put the time and work a viable variant. With 3 or less, there just isn't a reason to block and with that goes away a big part of the game.

Good luck with your variant Jude!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.