Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Science symbol on red event card - Does it count toward Scientist award? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Das Mammut
msg tools
mbmbmb
There is at least one red event card with a science symbol on it. Forgot the nae, but the effect is that for the next card you play, you can assume the global parameters to be +/-2; cost is 4 Megacredits.

1) Does this science symbol count towards the "Scientist" award?

2) If the answer to 1) is "no", what purpose does the symbol have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No.

2) The purpose of the tag is to gain other effects from it on other cards, or if there was a card that gave cheaper science-tagged card, this card would be cheaper, or similar effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
All the tags on the red event cards only apply when you play the card. After that the cards are turned face down, a reminder that the tags are no longer relevant for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dasmammut wrote:
There is at least one red event card with a science symbol on it. Forgot the nae, but the effect is that for the next card you play, you can assume the global parameters to be +/-2; cost is 4 Megacredits.

Events are turned face down after they have been played and their tags only apply when being played (page 10). So they would not count for the Scientist Award or science tag requirements, but they do trigger Mars University and Olympus Conference.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1646338/science-symbols...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ohbe One
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Fryxen wrote:
dasmammut wrote:

Events are turned face down after they have been played and their tags only apply when being played (page 10). So they would not count for the Scientist Award or science tag requirements, but they do trigger Mars University and Olympus Conference.

Cheers!

I had both Mars University and Olympus conference along with Optimal Aerobraking and shuttles and i think I actually played a space event with a science tag which triggered them all! I didn't have olympus conference yet thought I don't think. I got that later and did do 1 or 2 double triggers. I am just blown away by the synergy that gets created in this game. I was on turn 10 in a solo game and still needed about 5 oceans, 6 oxygen and 5 or 6 temp increases and thought there's no way..but I did! It is so exciting to be so close and draw surprise cards that get you what you need!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I understand now, that the Science symbol on red cards don't count for the Science Award. But then it seems illogical for me, that the Points on red cards count for the final Terraforming score. Either they are out of play after you've turned them upside down or not. (Love the game anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't "out of the game", though. They are still event cards that you have played, which for instance is relevant for Media Archives.

And extra VP from cards are generally only tallied up at the and of the game - from all the cards you played, including your events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papadjango wrote:
So I understand now, that the Science symbol on red cards don't count for the Science Award. But then it seems illogical for me, that the Points on red cards count for the final Terraforming score. Either they are out of play after you've turned them upside down or not. (Love the game anyway)

Thematically, the tags represent infrastructure, facilities, etc. that your company has amassed. They stay visible for that reason, and their end game VP count.

Events are things that have happened (and apparently your company caused, took credit for, or benefited from.) They don't represent or provide any tag related ongoing infrastructure.

For example, a card that gives you a metal mine may keep the Building tag turned up for the game representing the ongoing productive structure of the mine, but an asteroid that crashed and you went to visit and picked out metal Resources gives you the metal resources, but doesn't leave any productive infrastructure (tags) for your company. If you engineered a spectacular event, you still retain the glory and resulting reputation from causing it, but lack the remaining green-houses, buildings, structures, laboratories, etc. that the up turned blue and green card tags represent.

A giant empty crater or legendary historical convoy will thematically remain in your reputation, so they count to end game points, but have no ongoing productivity, so the tags representing that value are no longer relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
papadjango wrote:

Thematically, the tags represent infrastructure, facilities, etc. that your company has amassed. They stay visible for that reason, and their end game VP count.

Events are things that have happened (and apparently your company caused, took credit for, or benefited from.) They don't represent or provide any tag related ongoing infrastructure.

For example, a card that gives you a metal mine may keep the Building tag turned up for the game representing the ongoing productive structure of the mine, but an asteroid that crashed and you went to visit and picked out metal Resources gives you the metal resources, but doesn't leave any productive infrastructure (tags) for your company. If you engineered a spectacular event, you still retain the glory and resulting reputation from causing it, but lack the remaining green-houses, buildings, structures, laboratories, etc. that the up turned blue and green card tags represent.

A giant empty crater or legendary historical convoy will thematically remain in your reputation, so they count to end game points, but have no ongoing productivity, so the tags representing that value are no longer relevant.

Now THAT'S logical!
Thank you, everything accepted and unterstood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.