6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Nations - yes or no? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to get my head around this, I've played it a few times now having borrowed it from a friend. I really really liked it, and thought it was a cracking middle-weight game with a decent length.

However, there seems to be quite a split opinion on it, with many people not liking it at all.

Most alarmingly, a friend who has a similar taste, says that whoever is first player ultimately has too much of an advantage, which ultimately turned him and his friends away.
Have other people found this to be true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game quite a lot and would just warn against ever playing it with 5. I think it shines with 3. It is obviously an advantage to get first pick in a game like Nations, but player order is in the hands of the players. So, if you're constantly going at the back end of the order then it's just kinda your fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are ways to mitigate those who go the military route. I still own the game 3 years later, and it's my Civ game of choice. You can get hammered in some areas, but make it up in others. This isn't always apparent until a few games in though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:

Most alarmingly, a friend who has a similar taste, says that whoever is first player ultimately has too much of an advantage, which ultimately turned him and his friends away.
Have other people found this to be true?

I've played both TTA and Nations quite a bit, and I have never found that there was a 1st player advantage.

Of course, I have noticed that TTA and Nations are those games that are polarizing love/hate. Not much you can do about that.

I love them both. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations is great.

In the alternate reality where TtA does not exist, Nations is a top ten game. The Nations haters are prolly all TtA lovers. Just like the folks that hate Age of Industry do so because they are already taking Brass: Lancashire to prom.

I have not encountered the 1st player is unstoppable problem. That would be easy to house rule with resources. Once you start playing with the B-side boards, I think this would never be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for feedback!
have played with all b-sides etc after first two plays. I think this guy was just saying that if you're first and are organised, you can always get 'that amazing' card. I do think the game can even balance with better/worse players anyway, so that's another factor to help. Just needed convincing to buy it I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.