Subject: Viper's Den (Imperial Player - SPOILERS INCLUDED!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
This thread is all about tactics for the Imperial Player
OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE

Okay, so the rebels (Diala, Wookie, Fenn, Gideon) picked this mission (Threat 3). I read up online, I know about the droid trick but it seems like major cheese for me, so I want to avoid that.

I just think it won't be fun for anyone if I use a cheap trick to win this in 2 turns top without them having the ability to do anything about it.

They also skipped Means of Production to get here (despite all my warnings I might add), so I'm getting my reward regardless.

So I am trying to win this, but let's say I don't want to have victory (or defeat) achieved at least until round 4.

So here's what I'm contemplating:

1) I'm thinking as a general strategy, since the Hunters deal so much damage, it's actually worth it not to save threat each round and give the initial ones Assault Armor and the odds of them killing 2 in the same round are slim, so if they kill one, at the end of the round, deploy the other one at the other end, so they can't kill 2 of them and they keep taking damage.

This means I waste 3 threat every turn and don't have anything saved up.

Of course this is me betting on being able to wound at least 1 character every round which could be tough but doable and if I can't, then they're likely get inside and I'll have nothing in reserve.

2)For the initial optional deployment I'm contemplating between 3. Since I have 6 threat, I can bring either 3 storm troopers, an Elite Nexu or save them up so that if I don't pull out a hunter in a round, I can put 2 imperial guards.

The troopers, as a group, deal the most damage and can spread around more easily, the guards have stun and the nexu can block points (even the exit) and bleed.

I'm leaning more towards the Nexu to slow them down if they get through. Heck, I can just put him in front of the door (if they don't get there fast enough) and stop them from getting to it. Thoughts?

3) Or am I really just full of myself and basically throw the game?
Is it worth it to try and win by wounding rather than escaping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I have not played this, but I let the rebels choose another mission when I played Technological Superiority. With any other class deck and later in the campaign the result is no longer that clear or predictable, whether you use Probe Droids (for Mobile) or not.

(Note that a carried token cannot be voluntarily dropped.)

At which point in the campaign are you playing this?

I think with Diala and Fenn (if they have Force Throw and Tactical Movement), if the rebels get to the memory core first, they have a great chance of winning. So, if you let them go for the memory core unimpeded (without going for it yourself), in my opinion you may well have given the mission away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
OKAY I HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS

We did the mission... I was 100% sure this would be easy breezy for the rebels since I'm pulling my punches and it would be really short, by the time everyone arrived for the session I already built the map for the next scenario so we can move on quickly.

Boy was I wrong...

It was a massacre. It took 14(!) turns and even then, the rebels just surrendered. I killed (not just wounded - forced them to withdraw) 3 of them and the 4th was healthy but almost ganged up. They just took the last crate and said they surrender.

Oh dear lord...

Just to make it clear how badly it went for them, I stopped them at least 10 times from doing stuff by keep pointing out about deadly mistakes they're playing (remaining in life of sight of E-Web, leaving room for a Nexu to cleave them etc).

At one point, I decided to bring in the Royal Guards - even though it was a terrible move just to bring something new to the map (and partially hoping they'll have an easier time - I was actually hoping they would win and feel good about it).

Heck by the time 1 withdrew and 2 were wounded and they started worrying about the last healthy one, I even decided what the heck and flat out showed them were the deployment points are.

I waited a bit to the next day to cool things off... But I gave them an absolute "friendly advice" (in the form of a 5 page document) about how many things they did wrong.

Also at that point (I think round 9) I also pointed out to them that they haven't even scratched a door yet. Seriously not even 1(!) damage on the doors.

They did a lot of tactical mistakes, but they're biggest problem was they had no strategy in place. No thought on which door to go through, what to do after it, exit plan etc

The real bummer? If I had thought that the mission would go this badly for them, I would have kept an ATST in the open groups just for the fun of bringing it along the ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.