Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Number of heroes when playing RtL solo?
      75 answers
Poll created by Ringl

Hi folks, I want to play RtL solo. But I am not sure how many heroes to take. Is 4 always the best number for more diversity or are 2 difficult enough to handle for a single player? Thanks for your answers.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I play with four since I think that gives the most balance.

I've heard that even with the extra bonus attack, the heroes are at a disadvantage with only 2 and because of the monster limit (which may be ignored in some cases in RTL) a hero count of three is too easy.

I don't think you can play with just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep, you'll definitely want more than two. Even with the bonus attacks you just won't be able to keep pace. It's not just dealing damage, but you need to get to objectives and search tokens.

I've played mainly with 3 and it works ok. But I always end up warrior, healer, and mage. When I have a scout I get more seach tokens but can't kill montero fast enough and get overrun.

I've suspected 4 would give the most freedom, I just haven't wanted to juggle that many characters. I'm terrible at remembering all the powers and effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with 2 thus far, but that's because I haven't mastered the rules enough to manage more than 2 characters. With 2 I've pretty much gotten crushed though... so it seems like 3 or 4 is really the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how comes that it seems to be harder with 2 heroes? Isn't the amount of monsters related to the number of heroes like in the classic board game variant?
Thanks for your answers so far. It seems 4 is the way to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The number of monsters is scaled by the size of the hero team. My thinking is that this only means the monsters won't overpower the heroes.

It seems to ignore that theres more to do than kill monsters. You need to slip around them and reach objectives as well. With two heroes you simply can't be enough places to keep monsters under control as well as beat the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run 2 and 3 heros
Warrior and scout
and warrior scout healer

dunno found both ok..

maybe ran in to more perils with 2 but before that was before the normal/hard updates
played 3 on normal
games tends to get close
and can not say 2 players any faster then 3

4 would push my table space a little to far..

2 is do able and a good change from 3 so just another variant to play and experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play the game with a single hero, right? Like it requires at least 2 to even start a game doesn't it? No idea why there's a 1 in the poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find managing more than 2 heroes just too much work to make the game fun for me. I think the 2 hero rules introduced in Heirs of Blood really help balance the play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
You can't play the game with a single hero, right? Like it requires at least 2 to even start a game doesn't it? No idea why there's a 1 in the poll.

I read 1-4 players and thought that was the number of playable heroes. So just ignore the 1, even though someone recommends playing with 1 hero...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBeighel wrote:
Yep, you'll definitely want more than two. Even with the bonus attacks you just won't be able to keep pace. It's not just dealing damage, but you need to get to objectives and search tokens.

I've played mainly with 3 and it works ok. But I always end up warrior, healer, and mage. When I have a scout I get more seach tokens but can't kill montero fast enough and get overrun.

I've suspected 4 would give the most freedom, I just haven't wanted to juggle that many characters. I'm terrible at remembering all the powers and effects.

Actually I am playing with 4 heroes now - a mage, a warrior and 2 healers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I am new(ish) to the game and have yet to play with 4. I find 2 players quite challenging tho the extra 2 heal or extra attack really helps. I find the necromancer class helps a lot in 2 players with the familiar is treated as a figure is also treated as a hero when the monsters attack so that generally absorbs a lot of damage. If I don't play necromancer I find the game much more challenging with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've only played with 2 or 4 heroes. 2 when playing solo, just so I have less to keep track of (though I tend to lean towards heroes/classes with familiars when playing as 2 heroes, to get extra attacks) and never less than 4 heroes when playing with my group, since we have a LOT of D2E and SWIA players in my group that we ALWAYS have a waitlist whenever I start a new campaign group.

Given the recommendations on here, I might try a solo RTL campaign next week with 3 heroes while my wife is out of town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.