Patton's Best» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rotate turret / Fire main gun Action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Saccocea
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just wanted to know how others are handling this situation: Do you take the rotate turret / fire penalty for just the first shot taken or do you take it also for subsequent shots if ROF is achieved? Just thinking that after the first round is fired the gun is already trained on the target and that the negative modifier would not apply....

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Lou
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Lou, if the penalty is meant to account for the extra difficulty in making a true shot due to the additional movement imparted by a traversing turret, I think the penalty would only be applied to the first shot. I think this is the case.

The only other arguments I could see to the contrary are:
1) the rules don't say the penalty is only limited to the first shot
2) the penalty also takes in some sort of "lost time" factor. As in, the time lost due to traversing the turret compresses the remaining time available to squeeze off X number of shots in the crew action phase. However, I'm making 2) up in my head to play devil's advocate. I don't think that this idea of compressed time is a part of the rules; there's certainly nothing in there saying the crew action phase lasts a defined amount of time. There's also no upper limit to the amount of ROF shots you can take, so I think this idea that I made up in my head is without merit.

I would just apply the penalty to the first shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Lou, if the penalty is meant to account for the extra difficulty in making a true shot due to the additional movement imparted by a traversing turret, I think the penalty would only be applied to the first shot. I think this is the case.

That's how in works in ASL as well, on which the Patton's Best rules are based, so I think there's strong evidence to support this interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

Whilst I admit the rules are inconcise on the point, IMHO it is illogical to do anything else...

a) Turn Turret and fire 1st shot ( +10 per sector )
b) Fire subs shots ( if possible )

As b) does not require a Turn of the Turret, the modifier can no longer apply, as no sectors are traversed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
DEB8 wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

Whilst I admit the rules are inconcise on the point, IMHO it is illogical to do anything else...

Sounds like we're of the same mind about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.