Subject: On the story decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Hi. In search for the perfect LCG for my gaming needs, I've stumbled upon CoC and it seems quite spectacular.

Newly getting into it, I have a question about the different story decks, though. I know there are 3 and the newest (from the shifting sands AP) is the officially used one.
I'd like to know the gameplay difference between them, though.

Were the new story decks just for variety or was there something problematic / broken about the old versions?
Should we just be playing with the newest deck the whole time or start with the core set one when starting out?
Didn't Secrets of Arkham (and thus the second deck) came out quickly after the core set? Why the early change?

Anyone have any insight to share? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the publisher has stopped supporting organized play, there is no longer an "officially used" story deck. But the Shifting Sands one is probably the most interesting of the three, not least because it has 12 cards instead of 10.

The earlier ones are in no way "broken," and have continued to serve well in casual play.

There is a fourth published story deck, in the Necronomicon Draft Starter. It's mostly made up of stories from earlier decks, with two new ones added. It's intended for the lower-powered decks created in draft play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
The story decks are contained in...

Core
Secrets of Arkham
Shifting Sands

Also, there are two LCG stories you can only get in the DRAFT STARTER set.

Necronomicon Draft Starter

If you really want to go all out there are also the original CCG Story Sets. There are two of them plus 2 rather crazy promo stories.

There are two sets... "Arkham Edition" and "Eldritch Edition". You find them in the "starter sets". When searching for "starter sets" you can also find ones with "premium" in the title. These have THE SAME stories as the normal cheaper version, but also other goodies, like fancy Domain Cards.

The CCG Stories are completely compatible and a great way to spice up kitchen table games with a little variety.

Arkham Editon
• The Arkham Willows
• The Crooked Manse
• The Dreams of Kingsport
• The Forgotten Sculpture
• The Horror of the Past
• The Innsmouth Threat
• The Secret of the North Woods
• The Terror of Dunwich
• The Thing at the Gate
• The Well

Eldritch Edition
• Abysses of Night
• Beyond the Doors of Sleep
• Dark Heart of Ciro
• Digging Deep
• Parables of the Faceless One
• Shadows of Nephren-Ka
• The Squalid Hamlet
• The Unquiet Earth
• Throne of the Black Pharaoh
• Voice of Thunder

There are also two very broken promos called "The Challenge" and "The Nameless City"... "The Challenge" if you can find it is pretty fun actually in for the kitchen table, but "The Nameless" is pretty insane.

It is worth noting there there are a few reprints in the LCG fomr these cards...

• The Dreams of Kingsport
• The Innsmouth Threat
• The Secret of the North Woods
• The Terror of Dunwich
• The Thing at the Gate
• The Well

All reprinted from the Arkham Set.... so the best value is to track down the Eldritch Edition.. there are still a few around the place... just try not to get sucked into the hell of getting your hands on a complete CCG set : P

RindFisch wrote:
Were the new story decks just for variety or was there something problematic / broken about the old versions?

Shifting Sands is arguably the best Story Set produced, it was the tournament standard for a long time and there are no real problems with it.

You might be thinking about the Promo Cards fro the CCG. They are actually broken. "Challenge" dose not let you place story tokens (you can not win the story at all) but every token you would place lets you draw a card and "Nameless" is 10 tokens down and you win the game.

Broken, but as I said "Challenge" is actually pretty fun now and then for the kitchen Table. "Nameless" is irredeemable, but we stil use it now and then for the hell of it. When we do we make it 25 Tokens to win though.

RindFisch wrote:
Should we just be playing with the newest deck the whole time or start with the core set one when starting out?

Well as there is no scene now it doesn't really matter. Personally I actually just shuffle all the stories into a single deck and draw form there. I like the variety though if you want a more ballences and serious game I would play with Sifting Sands.

The other way I play a lot recently is with a Cube Draft. I actually shuffle the entire story collection into one of the decks I use to make the draft packs and players draft the stories as well as their cards, then contribute 5 each to the story deck during deck building.

RindFisch wrote:
Hi. In search for the perfect LCG for my gaming needs, I've stumbled upon CoC and it seems quite spectacular.

It is a GREAT game... you will most likely love it. I am in the beginnings of trying to start a CoC-Online League. It is aimed at encouraging beginners as well. It is early days yet, but if you want join and subscribe to our BGG Guild and keep in touch with it. I hope to launch it in the comming weeks.

Call of Cthulhu - Online League
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Thanks for the exhaustive answers. I realize that with the game being discontinued "official" might not have been the best word to use.
More like "the most common and well liked" story card set.
So it seems best to just use the shifting sands set right from the get go.

And I'll definitely keep an eye on the online league. I'd be great to play against (and learn from) a few veterans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, although Secrets of Arkham is unavailable, you can still get shifting sands from FFG for $15 plus shipping, at least as of this evening...

modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.