Subject: How does the theme stand out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like card driven war games where cards add to the theme, but I read somewhere here that "There are only 48 total cards, with 4 special events per faction", so a question arises: if most cards are generic move actions, how much chrome/flavor/theme comes out in this game beyond the map? (which is gorgeous).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this last night. I love this game and love getting it to the table. The theme is there. The event cards make sense around the theme. Benedict Arnold wrecked the Patriot Army last night and it made sense with the theme and how it played out. Even the dice rolls, which each side having different roll probabilities makes sense in the theme. Love Love Love the theme and how it works into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang1701 wrote:
Just played this last night. I love this game and love getting it to the table. The theme is there. The event cards make sense around the theme. Benedict Arnold wrecked the Patriot Army last night and it made sense with the theme and how it played out. Even the dice rolls, which each side having different roll probabilities makes sense in the theme. Love Love Love the theme and how it works into the game.

Agreed

Even the movement cards are not generic with different mixes for each faction as well as different sea transport abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Keep in mind that there's two factions for each side, so the events are doubled.

I find that you can see the British southern strategy develop in the game, their cut off of New England, and the like. And I agree that the dice really add to the personality of each faction.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Even though there are only four events per faction, that's still 16 event cards that have the potential of being played each game. The theme plays out in their timing.

The movement cards are enough only so that you can play one - no more, no less - per turn. So yeah, the same cards will end up in your hand each game, though in a random order. But the movement cards isn't where the theme lies except if you consider that each faction gets different types of movement cards based on actual history.

IMHO, the theme lies in the distribution of forces, the rules about moving and placing forces, and most importantly, the dice!

The distribution of results of the dice rolls are purely elegant. There are separate dice for each faction, so each faction's strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies are nicely (and historically) modeled in an abstract way, by the number of dice allocated to each faction and the distribution of the facings on those dice.

Bottom Line: The results you get from the dice is where the true theme lies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
As stated earlier, the theme lies mainly in the combination of the cards, dice and choices available to the player during the game. The British will win most of the battles while the patriots are more mobile. The powerful warship cards allow the British player to strike almost any coastal region but maintaining a beachhead is difficult.

Most of the game-play will center around the New England colonies. The Patriots can expand south but they have to be careful not to lose all colonies in the North.

I like the relatively small decks as they are easy to memorize and the players have to plan for a sudden game end after the 3rd round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think one of the best way the theme was worked into the game is the battle dice. Each faction has custom dice that reflect their capabilities. For example, British and French regulars are more likely to hit and don't run away. Militia are less likely to hit, but can run away. Running away can be good or bad. Bad in that you might lose the battle, good in that you live to return and fight another day.

The game is not a detailed historical simulation by any means, but it doesn't try to be. It is simple and fun and "feels" like the theme fits, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1775 is a light game with a light historical theme. It certainly is not a true historical simulation, but ... neither is the basic box of Memoir 44... or Star Wars X Wing miniatures...

If you want a great strategy game without complexity you will have great fun with it.

As a wargamer I found it mediocre in my first 2 plays but after that ... it started to grow on me with some great strategy options. If I were to compare it with other games, I would place it with Risk: Star Wars Edition (that last one is NOT a Risk game btw despite its name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.