Hide
2 Posts

Desert Fox Deluxe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Q&A rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Perello
msg tools
Apologies for the delay in responding, I have been immersed in another design. These are also being posted on ConSim. Thanks to Tony D for the heads up.

4.5 Greek Campaign
Mike H's answer is correct. I suspect some of the problem is one of terminology, and that was inevitable given the six tracks all do slightly different things.

1. MET Greece is triggered when AX#2 and AL#2 have occurred. That means the track is activated and the Allied player will begin rolling for its situation every turn.

2. MET Greece will trigger AL#5 when it reaches crisis; units on the track are returned (possibly with loss) and the reinforcements listed for AL#5 can occur. Unlike some of the other tracks, Greece affects End Scenario by being active rather than by being in crisis, and is deactivated by being in a crisis---in other words, Greece will fall, all the Allied player can do is put it off. The Greek units were formed from Greek expatriates. The reinforcements from England (e.g. 50th Division) were already earmarked for the Middle East, but the loss of Greece and Crete put the eastern Med into play and they were hurried along. 50th Div went first to Cyprus (one brigade was sent to Egypt briefly as a backstop during Rommel's first offensive.

3. Why would you send troops to MET Greece? Each turn the track is active, the ES marker is increased by 1, which is a positive Allied outcome. But it is hard to hold for long once the Germans are committed. Just so. Staving off Greek collapse for even a turn or two is worth some effort.

4.6 Syrian Campaign
Syria is similar, but in this case the British will eventually want to commit enough forces to drive the situation less than 0, deactivating the box and triggering the reinforcements for AL#6. If Syria goes to crisis, it isn't deactivated, but does give ES -1 each turn it is in crisis. Correct. This was my "standard" set up for tracks but there was no way to make it work in Greece---the Allies were never going to win that campaign.

10.2D Night Movement
The answers on the site (from several people) are correct. Night movement is an exception to 10.2B (no ZOC-to-ZOC movement). I put this rule in because the British 50th Division and the Free French at Bir Hakeim used night movement to escape the Gazala line. The historical deployment would have had ZOC on their route (as will any competent Axis player) making it impossible. The auto disruption represents units getting lost etc., which I think appropriate to the movement. It also at least subdues the desire to use it aggressively, though Rommel effectively did so at the beginning of his Gazala attack.

15.6 Naval Strikes
John M's answers were on the button. There are two different strike targets (shipping and fleets), and I agree it could have used another sentence or two. Or three---it is a complicated rule, esp. when tied in to the naval ops, but I felt they were necessary to broaden the coverage of the game. The battle for the sea lines of communication was crucial to the outcome of the campaign, and I didn't want to just build them in.

1. Strikes on Shipping. The shipping "boxes" represent transport ships carrying units/supply units/RP. Each hit takes out one step of one transported unit, with supply units counting as one for this purpose. It would have been nice to actually have transport ship counters, but there just wasn't space on the countersheet.

2. Strikes on Fleets are conducted in the same way as strikes on shipping, but a hit only causes damage (and mission abort) per the table on R20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.