22 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sunstalker shadow gear and other rmonsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I was looking through all of the gear decks, to decide what equipment to give to a full sun stalker armoured survivor (decided upon the rainbow katana). Whilst doing so I noticed that some of the sunstalker gear has bonuses when in shadows. How do these gear cards interact with other monsters?

I'm assuming that, since the other monsters are not the sun, all board places are shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ink katanas are pretty incredible. 4/4/4, deadly 3, and reach 3 makes for a mean weapon. Throw that into a blue savior with luck stone and enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
Styfen wrote:
Yes, you are always in darkness except when fighting the sunstalker.

While that might be true, don't the sunstalker weapons specify being in shadow? Shadows don't exist without a light source.

It would certainly make those weapons more understandable to me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow has actually generalized to any area of darkness, though one could reasonably assume that if you're in the dark and there's light somewhere else, something's preventing that light from getting to you, so you're in shadow.

But, it's an abstracted game, so common sense takes a back seat to rules-- the question is really where it mechanically explains the terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have to actually be in shadow, like jma5terj said, although I believe there is a piece of gear that allows the wielder to cast shadows, I just can't think of the name off of the top of my head.

EDIT:

The Sunspot Lantern is the gear I'm thinking of and says: +1 Accuracy. You cast a 1-space shadow directly away from the monster. If the shadow could be cast in 2 spaces, decide which space has it until you move.

This is why I believe those weapons only work in shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same:

Quote:
Adam Poots

9:05 AM (2 minutes ago)

to me
Hehe, ruling sure!

Clarification:
When your using the Sunspot Lantern, Ink Blood Bow (etc.), put the Sunstalker Light & Shadow S card into play.

Reason:
The card defines how shadows always work and really should have been an additional game rule and not a unique S card. Or, specific gear that interacts with shadows and or requires darkness should have been given a special rule that puts Light & Shadow into play.

Thematic Reasoning:
Survivors and monsters cannot see in the dark. The lanterns the survivors carry, the reflections and diffusion in the atmosphere, the occasional luminescent bacteria and odd working lantern scattered about, create enough light for the monster and survivors to see each other, roughly in an area the size of the showdown board. Although there is not much of it, the survivors are all “in light”. Then we look at the Sunstalker, the monster itself creates enough light so significant shadows appear. The survivors are still “in light”, even tho its much more light. If a survivor is in a space where a shadow is cast (from one of these very strong sources of light) they are effectively in darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, doesn't this rule clarification also need a ruling on what direction shadows are cast? Just pick a cardinal direction for the whole showdown? Light and Shadow doesn't have that.

This clarification kinda feels like a death knell for the Ink Sword. It was already very expensive and hard to craft for a fragile weapon, though the incredible range and luck bonus were tempting, butnow you'll always need somebody else to squat in front of you... Craft the ink blood bow instead, methinks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEremite wrote:
So, doesn't this rule clarification also need a ruling on what direction shadows are cast? Just pick a cardinal direction for the whole showdown? Light and Shadow doesn't have that.

This clarification kinda feels like a death knell for the Ink Sword. It was already very expensive and hard to craft for a fragile weapon, though the incredible range and luck bonus were tempting, butnow you'll always need somebody else to squat in front of you... Craft the ink blood bow instead, methinks!

The shadow is cast directly away from the monster as specified by the lantern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I now want to make a variantion that deals with light

Using the idea of twilight (normal lighting effect), darkness and light.

Sources of light can be dim (lanterns, gorm, etc) or bright (sun stalker)

How different light sources of light interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were already playing this way, so it didn't feel like any kind of nerf-bat swing to us.

If it's that important to you, there's no reason you can't just house rule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaaneth wrote:
I now want to make a variantion that deals with light

Using the idea of twilight (normal lighting effect), darkness and light.

Sources of light can be dim (lanterns, gorm, etc) or bright (sun stalker)

How different light sources of light interact.

I actually kinda love this - when not facing a sunstalker, make all spaces dark by default ....but the cardinal spaces adjacent to heroes and monsters are assumed to be lit by lanterns/lures/etc. While it's a bit weird for some quarries (lions don't glow, as far as we know, and while most of the more human-shaped nemeses carry lanterns not all do - though as far as I'm concerned the Lion Knight is always spotlit), it's probably better to go for a blanket rule rather than a case-by-case rule.

It keeps some of the light/dark positioning flavour and makes more sense, while also making these rare pieces of gear (including the sunspot lantern) more useful against other foes, taking the ink sword off the 'basically useless' pile but not making it so you can activate it any space when not fighting the sunstalker (which might be a tad OP).

Well, there's my personal houserule right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't like house ruling either, but with KD, since it's co-op, it's a fun challenge to try to figure out collectively what would work better, since it's not favoring one side more than another (like is usually the case in house ruling). Still, almost all house rules I do are for adding content rather than fixing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just think if a rule means something will NEVER be chosen/ played then just working around it is for the best. The shadow rule makes sense to be changed, just as Survival of the Fittest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
NerdyRaptor wrote:
We were already playing this way, so it didn't feel like any kind of nerf-bat swing to us.

If it's that important to you, there's no reason you can't just house rule it.

No, I never house rule. But I am happy to point out bad decisions, even if it's from the game's creator.

Now if the Sunspot Lantern also put the sundial card into play as well as light and shadow, that would work.

Maybe we should ask poots about this ? Using the sundial card Kinda makes more sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuma Oso

Maryland
msg tools
Styfen wrote:
Even with a Sunspot Lantern it's ridiculously difficult to get that salt collected, you have to work super hard to maneuver the monster to a specific location, get the lantern on the other side and get someone else into the sole dark spot to grab the salt.

It looks like you are using the Sunspot Lantern incorrectly which is causing your issues. The shadow is cast adjacent to the survivor holding the lantern not the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.