Subject: Paying homage to Caesar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimiliano Santuari
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
mb
Well, to pay homage I have to be in a stop along the Emperor's Alley and then pay the denari.
The question is: do I have to pay the denari the same turn I entered in the alley, OR do I have to take an entire "stopped" turn in which the only action I have is playing denari?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
massimiliano.san wrote:
Well, to pay homage I have to be in a stop along the Emperor's Alley and then pay the denari.
The question is: do I have to pay the denari the same turn I entered in the alley, OR do I have to take an entire "stopped" turn in which the only action I have is playing denari?

We've always played that you arrive in the alley, throw in your coin, then leave on the next turn (if you can)

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
massimiliano.san wrote:

We've always played that you arrive in the alley, throw in your coin, then leave on the next turn (if you can)

N.

Same here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here too, but I'd like to know if we're doing well. I was reading the Ausgebremst (Ave Caesar with cars) rules in english and french posted here, and they seem to say that you have to "stop" during your pit stop (the equivalent to giving the coin to Caesar).

Since at the end of every turn during the race you are not supposed to have stopped (it's a race!), saying that you have to stop means that during one turn you stay there? If not, they should say "end your mouvement in the alley and throw your coin" or something like this, but not "stop"...

In the case of Ave Caesar it is not that important, as it will be the same for all players, but in Ausgebremst you can choose not to stop, depending on your strategy during the race, so there it does make a difference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't played this game many times. When we have played, however, we've spent an entire turn paying homage (discarding the coin), rather than playing a movement card. This can have a significant affect on the decisions of other players. Ultimately, I don't guess it matters much as long as the rule is applied consistently. I would like to know what the designer's intended. For such a light game, it might be good to not spend an entire turn paying homage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played where you end your turn in the alley, by exact card number played, then pay the dude right then and there. Then continue on the next turn as normal. I cannot imagine any other way to play it.

In fact , if possible, I try to get near the alley entry after the first lap, then if I have the cards, leisurely trot through it by playing 1s and 2s, effectly bottlenecking the alley to racers that have chosen that route, and otherwise forcing others to bypass the alley.

But I'm pretty sure that you cannot blow through the alley by playing a 6, and just tossing a coin to the emperor. The spirit of the rules dictate that you stop to pay your respects to him. The coin is just proof that you did so. Whizzing by him, in a cloud of dust, is not respect.

I'm basing this on my original (Ravensburger) edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play that you must END your move SOMEWHERE in the alley, at which time you pay your coin. You then may move out of the alley on your next turn. Oh, and we require everyone to vocalize their Hail Caesars. After a few beers, that can be the wildest part of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought this rule was a little strange, because there's only one way to violate it. You have to have your chariot *just* at the entrance to the alley, the alley must be empty, with an empty space beyond it, and you must not be in the lead, and you must play a 6 card to whiz straight on through. If all these conditions are met, well what's the big friggin' deal? Why bother making a rule to stop someone from doing that? It just comes up so rarely. And besides, the usual strategy is to go slow in the alley anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Santuari
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, I didn't find it clear in the rules. I don't think playing one or the other way changes the game, just asking to players what they usually do...
But rules are not so clear on this point.
Thanks to everyone cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Istomin
Russia
Syktyvkar
Komi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, on a second lap a player that didn't pay homage yet can pass his turn only if the FIRST space ("entrance") of Alley is blocked? In any other situations a player will automaticly lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lipman
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's right Proud Liberal
badge
D'Oh!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of the "Caesar's tollbooth" opinion that you need not stop for a full turn, but rather end your move in the "tollbooth" area throw your change at good ol Caesar and proceed on your merry way the following turn. Great game, I just GMed it at the Wintercon at Oakland University.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.