Hide
9 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game: Machines vs Pilgrims rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oak Wolf
msg tools
This game was our first and we used default skills.

Pilgrims took an easy exploration region on the east flank in order to build structures there. 'achines engaged trogs on the west with their full army (4 units). This battle prevented them from doing pretty much anything else except recruit (was a bad move on my part but hey). Turns out it was a huge trog nest and had i spread my troops elsewhere, i'd have lost, however i took 3 losses to trogs but gained control of the area.

Then i build shred drones and a factory. Pilgrims took the very long "banana" region that circles the east of the Scorch, but then found itself in range of the shred drones.

From then on, the machine army just grew bigger and bigger, while pilgrims were dying from the effect of orbital sniping and drone shredding. They couldn't farm enough crystals and by the end of the 5th turn, machines ended up with a victory 21 to 11, simply by holding the large crystal piles in two regions.

We are still challenged by how to play pilgrims on the two player board. They seem to lack space to avoid being threatened on their structures, and they can't recruit fast enough. The shred drones basically cancels the power orb.

It looks like a very fun game though and we are looking forwared to our next attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Had the same basic experience. Pilgrims built harvester and extractor in the region next to their base and were immediately shredded and invaded by the Machines (who didn't have bad luck against the Trogs like in your game). After that, never could generate enough troops, movement, or build to do much of anything. I felt like the 2 player game is too short to generate the crystal production the Pilgrims need. Especially when they can be the primary target of the other player. Normally I have fun, even when I lose but this was not fun. From the beginning of the second round it was clear I had no chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
Had the same basic experience. Pilgrims built harvester and extractor in the region next to their base and were immediately shredded and invaded by the Machines (who didn't have bad luck against the Trogs like in your game). After that, never could generate enough troops, movement, or build to do much of anything. I felt like the 2 player game is too short to generate the crystal production the Pilgrims need. Especially when they can be the primary target of the other player. Normally I have fun, even when I lose but this was not fun. From the beginning of the second round it was clear I had no chance.

As I noted in your other thread, it's very possible, but you will need to learn to play with the Pilgrims. Give it another shot, experiment. The pilgrims are NOT an aggressive race...though they can do some nasty things.

Check out the recently posted Pilgrim strategy guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I just read the guide. Gave me some ideas of things I could do differently. I'll keep playing them for sure, as I like the engine building idea behind them. Love the guides and this is, clearly, a game that has some great depth of strategy. The guides will help people a little with the learning curve. Thanks a bunch for being involved in the conversations here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Had another game with that same match up.

ended with something like 17 pilgrims and over 40 for the machines soblue.

Keep in mind these games are being played with only the default skills (to understand if a game is comparable or not).

On the 3-4 player board, it seems fine, but on the 2p side...There is something we just don't get. Something that would help would be to watch a game played by experienced players (again, with just the default skills as they are random and can change the strategy).

What is a good pilgrim opening move specifically on the 2p side of the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the pilgrims would have to be pretty aggressive to win this fight. Invade machine regions with your early actions so the machines can't pick you off with their buildings. And then you could use wrenches to reinforce those battles with your power orbs while you do your harvester/extractor stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
What i did a rather extreme version of this.

Over 5 turns. Machines could build 1 shred drone, that's it. It was used once on the turn they built it (turn 2 or 3)

I basically pinned them with initiative as my first action every turn and used one Power Orb to reinforce the battles. I drew a few water cards to help with movement.

The machines could not even move. What they had left was either to recruit in their HQ or to draw cards. They recruited once to try and change initiative, but i switched it back immediately after.

So they couldn't really "play" their game at all (a single structure!), but won anyway because i never had enough cards to compete in battle (i was spending them for actions to pin them and reinforce with orbs). By pinning them into battle to try and protect the sole extractor i had, the 2 regions where the battles were fought became very valuable. The last auto-score event gave them the game.

If i had been less aggressive i'd have been attacked on my power orb, and if i had tried to run away on the other side of the planet, then i would have let them build a sniper and drone...there's many more examples of what happens when machines get their battle engine going on pilgrims

The worst part of it is that i felt like i had a chance, it was the first time we saw the machines completely strangled. In the end, this is clearly a very wrong way to go at it given how massive the win was for Machines.

We are trying again tonight (goes to show how we like the game...although we're starting to see that it might be better at 3p).

Perhaps using more skills might help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rivea
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
I feel like ALL the races and the game plays much better with default plus 2 skills (and always leave out Scouting out of humans skill options)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremypenguin wrote:
I feel like ALL the races and the game plays much better with default plus 2 skills (and always leave out Scouting out of humans skill options)

I prefer Default + 1 personally. I think it's tighter, a little more constrained. But, honestly, people can play with all 5 if it makes the game more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.