Subject: More Options to Regain Sanity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder if anyone has made any house rules pertaining to regaining sanity? We haven't read all the Relic cards because we want them to be revealed as we play, but unless there are a lot of ways to recover sanity among those cards, I don't see how most people who go insane could ever recover in the course of a game. I would love it if, like in Arkham Horror, you had the option to travel to a hospital to be cured. Like "Spend all Action Points for one turn to travel immediately to a hospital, gain one sanity, and end your turn. On your next turn, you may recover one sanity per Action Point." Something along those lines?

The only way we saw to regain your sanity was through closing gates, and though I am certain there are Relics which offer some respite, I would love some mechanic which allows regaining sanity intentionally instead of by pure luck.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, two relics give you back sanity.
I'd also argue that players needing to find a balance between "letting" insane characters recover their sanity and efficiently using their action is a strategic, not a luck based element.

Sure, I may have drawn all the blue cards we need, but spending 5+ actions to give them to you might necessary if I'm the only sane player left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the game is ok as it is, the "fun" part about this game is being able to defeat it as is.

That said maybe there could be a variant where when you close a gate (while you're still sane) you get a "regain your full sanity token" "Gain 2 sanity tokens", that way you don't have to wait to become insane to close a gate to regain your sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it the way it is too. You don't need to regain sanity to win the game, and some of the insane abilities of the characters are quite fun. I've yet to lose a four investigator game from all of them going insane. Two player is trickier admittedly.

If it bothers you, another variant could be that you can regain one sanity chip as an action at the church or hospital. I wouldn't use that in four player, but in two player, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
We play Pandemic games almost exclusively two player/two avatars, so yeah, it was a bit onerous to go insane!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirsten Blom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This is my amazing dog Moxxi. She supports us gaming by trying to steal our food :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think it's always pure luck. We let a character go insane that was about to be able to close a gate. Instead of deviding the share. It makes you think about which character to take the sanity from. Especially when you play with just two players you have to make strategic choices to prevent both players to go insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.