Dan Reger
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few quick questions.

How do people interpret the idea that you can "play cards at any time during your turn" with the following situations:

Situation 1:
Player A has no camels. Player B moves the supervisor and tries to send one of A's cubes to the caravan. Player A wants to play his "3 free camels" card, but it's not his turn. May he?

Situation 2:
Player C is about to roll the dice. Is it his turn? If so, may he play "3 free gold" in order to fund a purchase of yellow dice?

Situation 3:
Player D is about to pick up dice for camels, but notices that if they first play "build without camels" they can construct the paddock and then when they pick up the dice have an extra camel.

I tend to think that A and B should be allowed, but that most people play that you can't do C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Since it is not his turn, no he may not play his camel card.

2) Yes, it is his turn, hence he may play the card to take 3 gold dice.

3) You are right, he can't build before he has taken a group of dice (p. 6 of the US manual)

Edit: I think it's important to enforce this rule since all cards have the secondary use of discarding to place an extra cube. This way you get one more agonizing decision in the game (should I hold on to my card, hoping to claim additional points by discarding it for more cubes, or should I play it safe and cash it in for 3 camels so my 12 point vase souk will not be ruined by the other players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
SwedishChef wrote:
Situation 1:
Player A has no camels. Player B moves the supervisor and tries to send one of A's cubes to the caravan. Player A wants to play his "3 free camels" card, but it's not his turn. May he?

No. Cards can only be played on your own turn. This is answered in the FAQ, too.

Quote:
Situation 2:
Player C is about to roll the dice. Is it his turn? If so, may he play "3 free gold" in order to fund a purchase of yellow dice?

Yes.

Quote:
Situation 3:
Player D is about to pick up dice for camels, but notices that if they first play "build without camels" they can construct the paddock and then when they pick up the dice have an extra camel.

He can't, because building buildings is only allowed after you've chosen a group of dice and executed the associated action. And then you can only build one building, no matter how many appropriate cards you have in your hand.

Note that when you are selecting dice, you can only play cards 'orange side up'. Granted, anything else would not be influenced by the cards at your disposal, but it makes a clear distinction between front and back of the card which aids during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.