Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
A"Setting Card" has the "Oriental Merchant" SHOP action on it.

It notes the Shop is stocked with;

"2 common, 2 epic artifact"

I read this as 2 common items of any kind, and 2 epic artifacts.

One of the play thru videos posted in the video section notes that the "common" items are also supposed to be specifically "artifacts".

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tough one... I don't have the card in front of me but if it says "2 common, 2 epic artifact" I would say both are artifacts. However, of course they should say "2 common, 2 epic artifacts" so... I don't know what the intention was but I would just play it as you see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yep. Confusing.

The mantra that gamers fall back on when reading game rules is do exactly what the rules say in the order written.

In this situation if all the items are supposed to be artifacts I would expect the card to be written:

"2 common artifacts, 2 epic artifacts."

Artifacts PLEURAL, and directly referring to both the common and epic artifacts.
In separating the "common" from the "epic" with the comma and having the descriptor "artifact" only after the "epic" I would expect the shop to be stocked with 2 common items of any kind and 2 epic "artifacts".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the other shops specifically say "2 common items" when they aren't being selective?

I can't remember and don't have the game in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Yep. Confusing.

The mantra that gamers fall back on when reading game rules is do exactly what the rules say in the order written.

In this situation if all the items are supposed to be artifacts I would expect the card to be written:

"2 common artifacts, 2 epic artifacts."

Artifacts PLEURAL, and directly referring to both the common and epic artifacts.
In separating the "common" from the "epic" with the comma and having the descriptor "artifact" only after the "epic" I would expect the shop to be stocked with 2 common items of any kind and 2 epic "artifacts".

+1 This one. I believe I read it somewhere that this interpretation is the correct one. I just don't recall where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.