Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Klingon vs Romulan Paint Scheme Poll & Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for voting and commenting on the Klingon Paint Scheme post. The vote was a 50/50 split, however, there was some good advice there.

One Jon Snow, who always seems to know something, made a great point about the models and how they will contrast on the playing surface. Also Ranger Rob pointed out that the Romulan paint scheme is important to keep in mind when deciding on the Klingon one.

In this second round of advice seeking from you guys, I've painted up some Romulans and took pictures with all the models on the dark blue background.

Here we have Dark Romulan, Light Romulan, Light Klingon, Dark Klingon.

The Dark Romulan was what I had in mind originally, but I think the Light Romulan looks better and in many shots from TNG looks closer to what we saw on screen imho.

The Dark Klingon I think looks more canon, but the Light Klingon building looks more canon. I think, as Jon Snow surmised, the Light Klingon has a better contrast on the table. Do you guys think it is a good idea to have light control nodes and darker ships? Or is that just confusing things too much. Or what if I can raise the highlights on the Dark Klingon paint scheme, would that be the best solution?

Here we have Dark Romulan, Light Romulan, Dark Klingon, Light Klingon. This shows what the Light Romulan and Dark Klingon look side by side.

Here we have the two darkest colour schemes side by side.

Personally I'm leaning heavily towards the Light Romulan Scheme, so here is the Light Romulan vs the Dark Klingon.

Here is the Light Romulan vs the Light Klingon.

As it stands now, I'm thinking I should try to get a better highlight out of the Dark Klingon and keep the Light Romulan scheme.

What are your thoughts?

Poll
Which is better, Dark Romulan or Light Romulan?
Dark Romulan
Light Romulan
      65 answers
Poll created by R2EQ

Poll
Which is better, Dark Klingon or Light Klingon?
Dark Klingon
Light Klingon
Try to highlight the Dark Klingon more before deciding
      64 answers
Poll created by R2EQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Light Rom and Dark Klingons. Maybe even go darker with the Klingons with bright red highlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hathaway
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Jatta Pake wrote:
I like Light Rom and Dark Klingons. Maybe even go darker with the Klingons with bright red highlights.

I agree. Also, I think the light Klingons may infringe too much on Cardies/Ferengi colors a touch if and when you add them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for either:

Dark Romulan, Light klingon
or
Light Romulan, Dark klingon.

These combinations make certain that there will be no confusion and visually look best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the advice and taking time to vote. I'll be going for Light Romulan and Dark Klingon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just planning on putting a wash on them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinT1 wrote:
I'm just planning on putting a wash on them

Try a combo of Drybrush + Wash because sometimes washes can darken a model too much.

Imho, Nuln Oil is the WD40 of paints. It's the best "go-to" wash out there.

The Red Klingons might give you a problem though. Red is a difficult colour to work with. I'd wash with a thinned Blue and gently drybrush with a light Orange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.