Subject: Road Movements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1st is the Terrain effect on movement wrong - ?

Under routes it has 1mp for Mech on Primary and Secondary roads, yet 1/2 on Tracks.

2nd On the Players Notes on R8 it gives an example that a motorized unit unit with a MA of 14 could move 56 hexes (on Roads), which would equate to 1/4 mp per road hex.

However, why doesn't it get +7MP for 8.2d Road March, giving it a MA of 21, which would give it either a hex range of:

21 (according to Terrain effect on movement)
56 according to the example - as the example doesn't appear to include the road march rate
84 using a road rate of 1/4 (which the example implies)+ 7mp for Road March

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trucks move faster than mech units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Thain
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thirtybrowns wrote:
1st is the Terrain effect on movement wrong - ?

Under routes it has 1mp for Mech on Primary and Secondary roads, yet 1/2 on Tracks.

2nd On the Players Notes on R8 it gives an example that a motorized unit unit with a MA of 14 could move 56 hexes (on Roads), which would equate to 1/4 mp per road hex.

However, why doesn't it get +7MP for 8.2d Road March, giving it a MA of 21, which would give it either a hex range of:

21 (according to Terrain effect on movement)
56 according to the example - as the example doesn't appear to include the road march rate
84 using a road rate of 1/4 (which the example implies)+ 7mp for Road March

Any ideas?

1) Terrain Effects Chart on page R14 looks OK to me.
The "Mech" line for track is "1/2 OTIH" which is half of other terrain in hex. So, if the hex is desert (mech move = 2), then on the track mech moves 1, same as a primary or secondary road through desert.

But, through rough, while the primary or secondary road remains 1, the cost on a track goes up to 2.

And, on a primary or secondary road the Mech unit may be eligible for Road March, which it isn't on a track.

2) Regarding the example of page R8, I believe it to be correct.
There isn't a "motorized" line on the TEC. Looking up rule 8.3B-Motorized units tells us that they are "Trucked", "Mechanized" or "Mobile". The definition of "Trucked" tells us that they are sometimes referred to as "motorized" - a less than helpful overloading of the same term (Maybe "Motorized" is different from "motorized", a casing convention that ASL players are well aware of!)

For me, it is clear that the unit in the example is "trucked". The example is about Mile Markers on the coast road. The coast road is a primary road. The TEC for "trucked" shows 1/4 as the movement rate, which for a 14MP unit gives 56 hexes.

3) Why doesn't the example use "Road March"?
Road March requires a bunch of conditions to be true, not only staying on a primary or secondary road, but also about adjacency to an enemy unit and general supply status.

For me, if the example was going to include Road March, then I'd expect it to state the unit was using Road March. The example has no such statement, therefore I would not expect the unit in the example to be using Road March, which is consistent with the 56 hexes.

In summary, I think the chart and the example are both correct and consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The moivement seems odd because of the fractional modifiers.

Most games take road as the base and adds modifiers from there to slow it down.

That would create huge movement allowances in this game, similar to the huge movement allowances in the old Panzer Armee Afrika game.

This theater was characterized by huge distances and rapid movement.

It's more than 850 miles between El Agehelia and Alamein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
For me, if the example was going to include Road March, then I'd expect it to state the unit was using Road March. The example has no such statement, therefore I would not expect the unit in the example to be using Road March, which is consistent with the 56 hexes.

Thanks for the time in providing a very comprehensive response.

I missed that on Tracks is was 1/2 OTIH, rather than 1/2 MP regardless of terrain modest

I wasn't sure if I was missing something regarding Road March and for some reason it wouldn't have been eligible. Assuming that the unit was compliant with 8.2D Road March, and it was a truck, I take it it could move 84 road hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.