Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is an extract from the diaries and journals of Pinzon, who was captain of the Nina.

THE FIRST VOYAGE

Journal Entry 1. Spain, 1499. With the blessing of Ferdinand and Isabella, we sail west to the new world. We fit our ships... Caravels.

2. We continue to fit out our ships.

3. We complete our fit out and the expedition is ready to depart Europe.

Our expedition will comprise of 3 sturdy ships, with an excellent Rutter. Martin, my brother, will accompany us as our missionary. We are well crewed and provisioned.

4. We launch and make good progress.

5. We continue to make excellent progress, passing the Madeira Islands off our starboard.

6. Skies heavy and we cannot take navigation sightings on the stars. Are we lost? No! Winds freshen and we speed past the Azores without making landfall. We are at the limits of the known waters.

7. Light, favourable winds help us to make progress. Our voyage has been very fortunate.

8. Crew sick with some sort of scurvy.

9. Still sea breezes keep us moving. Weather very favorable.

10. More scurvy on board. But land is sighted - a wonderful discovery!

11. Today we discovered cannibals rowing out to the ship. We negotiate our way out of trouble and sail on.

12. We have discovered the mouth of a large river. My missionary brother, Martin, appears to have upset some of the natives. Trouble with natives eases.

13. A terrible storm blew up today. We battened down and rode it out.

14. Steady progress.

15. We have discovered a bay, a safe anchorage. Martin and I land a shore party and forage for provisions.

16. Native population appears to be hostile, but we appease them with food and they allow us to move inland. They tell us of a yellow soft metal further on - could this be gold? Martin and I agree we have to investigate!

17. We continue on our inland journey, searching for the gold. The natives appear to be content to allow us to pass if we give them food.

18. A terrible couple of days. We are lost in the jungle and out of food. We will have to live off the land. The rumours of gold appear to amount to nothing.

19. Hunger is badly affecting our shore party. Men died today.

20. We encounter some friendly natives who allow us to continue back to the ships.

21. The lack of food is causing the crew to be restless and angry. They force Martin and myself to commit to returning Spain. We return to our ships but only one ship remains. Two have departed!

22. We are sailing for Spain. Today we provisioned at an uninhabited island.

23. Mutiny on board. We are already returning to Europe - what more does this crew ask of me! We depart the coastal waters are begin to cross the Atlantic.

24. Fresh winds today.

25. Fresh winds continue. The crew are afraid, but my reckoning finds us half way home.

26. Bad storm. We run with it and make excellent progress. We pass the Azores.

27. The storm is still continuing, and we continue to run with it. We have returned to Europe.

I publish several discoveries - Land Sighted (1), River (1), Bay (1), Landing in the Carribean (1). My discoveries lead to a base on Hispaniola being established.

THE SECOND VOYAGE

28. Martin and I fit out a second expedition from Hispaniola. Two carrack ships, provisioned and crewed. We launch into the Carribean waters.

29. We discover hostile natives, but sail past them.

30. Today we discovered an excellent navigable channel.

31. Nothing to report today. Steady progress.

32. Disease on board. We do not know what it is. We lose several men. We land on what appears to be a mainland, as we can't sail around it.

33. Martin angers the local natives with his fervent sermons. It results in battle which we survive. Martin and I decide to form a shore party and explore this land. These natives appear to be a vast people who call themselves Aztec.

34. More disease and we lose more men. We make no progress today as we care for the sick.

35. Today we met some of our countrymen - a Conquistador who tried to press gang some of our men. We defeated them and recruited those who surrendered to our party.

36. We met with friendly natives and rested here.

37. We do battle with a rival native chief and take some losses.

38. More battles. We make no progress.

39. The natives are very impressed with our fire-arms. Today we gave them a demonstration of our muskets.

40. We have allied ourselves to what appears to be a rival native chief. They have provided us with food and native bearers.

41. We trade food to be allowed to continue. We see before us a vast city, with thousands of natives. The wealth of this place appears to be phenomenal. We are on the outskirts of this immense city and cannot hope to continue with our poorly equipped party. Martin and I agree to return to Europe.

We will return to this place with a more formidable force!

42. The natives have almost guessed our future intentions and are hostile. We negotiate our way past them by bartering food.

43. Martin's fiery temper has again upset the locals and we fight our way past. We have returned to our ship but one has departed for home.

44. We are in dangerous waters. The currents are tricky.

45. We make progress, but the currents are dangerous.

46. Today we discovered the delta of an enormous river! Our progress is sluggish - I sent men over the side to see if we have barnacles. They have discovered some sort of sea worm that is eating the wood in our hull! I will name this pest "teredo".

47. We are lost for a while but manage to get back on course.

48. We provision at an island.

49. Scurvy on board - we are running out of food, but we are again in the Atlantic.

50. Strong winds.

51. Gusty winds. We make good progress.

52. Scurvy on board.

53. The crew are afraid and insist on returning. I tell them we are returning! We land at the Azores and provision there.

54. We navigate past a large storm.

55. We are becalmed, and there is scurvy on board again.

56. The winds have picked up again.

57. Today we landed at the Madieras and provisioned.

58. Overcast - we cannot sight the stars.

59. Scurvy again. The journey home has been hard and long.

60. Favourable winds blow us home. We land in Europe.

I publish my discoveries: Mississippi River (1), 1st CA landfall (1), Aztec Outskirts (2), Teredos (1), 1st Natives to Europe (1).

THE THIRD VOYAGE

Martin and I determine to return to the Aztecs with soldiers. I am bent on conquest of this rich place, Martin wants to convert them. We fit our ships with 2 regiments of soldiers, 1 of cavalry, in three sturdy ships. We have shod the hulls in copper plate to try to defeat the sea worms.

61. We launch and reach the Carribean with only one loss to scurvy.

62. We enter the Carribean coastal waters.

63. Dangerous currents make progress slow

64. We provision at an island and continue.

65. Martin again upsets the local natives. We make no progress.

66. The natives are hostile. We land our forces and prepare for the journey to the city of the Aztecs. To avoid trouble with the men, I order the ships to be scuttled. We will live like kings!

67. We demonstrate our cavalry to the local natives. They grant us food and porters.

68. We make progress today, trading food to be allowed to pass peacefully.

69. Today we were ambushed by natives, but beat them off. We have recovered some gold!

70. Lost - no progress today.

71. A marvelous find today - ruins of some ancient civilization. We also sighted the Pacific Ocean - is this the first sighting by a European?

72. We make progress today.

73. We had a large battle with natives today - we defeated them easily with our firearms. But I fear that our progress will be greatly impeded from now on.

74. We encountered hostile natives again today which we again defeated. We are near the large city.

75. Martin witnessed ritual native ceremonies today and was greatly upset. We negotiated with the friendly chief and settled things down.

76. We besiege a section of the outskirts of the city and enter.

77. We had word today that the Aztec king died.

78. Nothing has occurred recently. We are camped on the outskirts of the great native city.

79. Sickness has struck our party. Several of the native porters have died.

80. The natives seem to regard us as some sort of legendary gods. We are granted access into the main city itself. We are very near the central capital.

81. We are ambushed and defeated in battle today. Some of our crew from our ships died and we are weaker for the loss.

82. We battled natives again today and defeated them.

83. It has been quiet for a few days.

84. We have been encircled and trapped in our position in the native city. Our food is getting low.

85. Food running low - we may have to eat the cavalry horses.

86. Our food ran out today. Our campaign is going badly.

87. A small party of friendly natives came to our camp under a truce and have provisioned us.

88. Terrible news ... today Vincente Pinzon, my brother, fell to an attack from a rival party. I, Martin, will continue his journal.

89. The friendly natives continue to provide us with sustenance. However, our peril is great - we cannot go on and cannot return.

90. The native chiefs are allying against us. We lost more men in battle today and our forces are half of that which entered this place.

91. We are granted a royal audience.

92. Food running low...

93. We are ambushed and somehow managed to defeat the native attack. The natives seem in awe of us.

94. There is some sort of civil war occurring and we fight on the victorious side. We are granted porters and provisions as a reward for fighting.

95. We are attacked again by hostile natives. We suffer terrible losses.

96. We decide to take an opportunity and battle our way out of our quarters. We enter the royal capital and attempt to take the royal quarters.

97. We are defeated today in battle - one of our regiments of foot was wiped out entirely.

98. We are trapped and beyond hope. Our porters and soldiers are all killed in battle.

99. Our cavalry goes mad and commits slaughter. It is an atrocity and the natives attack us in huge force. We are wiped out and only I remain. Will this journal ever be found?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice writeup, Doug. I feel like dragging out my copy of the game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - it was a "let's try to remember the rules" session that I thought I'd jot down to see how it narrates.

I tried the 95 turn game, and should have taken a Conquistador and cannons for that third expedition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug,

Yes a Conquistador would have been better. I've played about 14 solitaire sessions in recent months and the one thing you realise is that the game mechanics reflect reality very well. The subtle differences between Explorer and Conquistador stats mean that on balance if Conquistadors did it in history then they'll give you the best chance in the game - but no guarantees!

I have a similar narrative 2/3rds done - you've motivated me to finish it off.

Good post, thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So did you win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
So did you win?

Nope... an angry missionary isn't enough to conquer the Aztecs. But a F2F game would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.