Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Help making a borg assimilated build! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danny bennet
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hey folks, my friend craig is running a borg fleet with assimilated vessals. He's struggling to win games though and is kinda known as the weakest player in our group. Could some of you maybe take a look at the expansions he has and maybe help us put together a more successful build for him.

Many thanks

He has available:

Queen vessal prime
Val jean
Soong
Scout cube 608 x2
Scout cube 255
Avitar of tombed
Assimilated vessal 80279
Assimilated vessal 64758
Iks neghvar
Iks groth
Iks maht-ha

We have access to all recent resources.

Also... We play ship pure, meaning when running the assimilated vessal we can take both faction cards as long as it's the dual faction ship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The assimilated vessels are among the weakest in the Borg's arsenal. They get the use of a full range 3 with their primary weapon, and slightly higher than average stats, but it comes at the cost of higher points per ship.

Queen Vessel Prime is the shining star of what he has. The Avatar of Tomed can be made into a pretty fierce ship, but it requires some good Romulan upgrades to do so (it isn't bad on its own, but can be much better with the Romulan upgrades).

I never much cared for the Borg Scouts. They are far too fragile for what you pay for them. They are a nice low cost filler ship, but not really worth much else in my opinion.

If he really wants to be more competitive, it is worth trying to track down a sphere and/or a Tactical Cube. They are both very powerful ships (even with their rage 2 limitation). In the very least, the upgrades that come with them will help a lot.

Try to focus mostly on things that will improve the quality of your base attack. Don't bother too much with secondary weapons. Look for things that give you re-rolls and Battle Stations to improve the chances of your weapons hitting. Make use of the 360' arcs on the ships that have them and try to keep at range 1 (since you are limited to range 2 anyway) to make use of the bonus die for close range.

Assimilation Tubules can be very interesting if used properly as well as the Borg Queens ability and various Tactical Drone abilities. Having a way to regenerate Drone Tokens is a nice thing (there are several upgrades that help out with that).

Borg Missiles used to be extremely powerful. They have long since been nerfed, unfortunately and aren't that great anymore. Avoid the Cutting beam. As cool as it looks, the requirements to actually get to fire it off make it an extremely situational weapon for what it ends up costing you in the end (you have to buy it and a tractor beam to even attempt to use it).

That is all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I hope that helps. You can also have him check out my Attack Wing videos on YouTube. I have one for every ship up to Wave 24. He can see what upgrades come with what ships and my thoughts on what ones are useful and what isn't. There is even a Fleet video for Borg, though it is older and missing some of the newer stuff. It still has a few good ideas and suggestions in it that are still useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you tell us a little bit more about what he's been doing and how it's been going wrong? If he's running something fragile like the scouts, that could be a problem, especially with the relatively low captain skills, but a lot of those ships are pretty good.

In general the Borg want to pursue one of two strategies. For the ships with a 360 arc: survive long enough to get right behind your opponent and stay there. For the assimilated ships: basically do whatever a ship of that faction would do. If he's doing the first strategy, he'll want to go all in on it (if only half of one's ships are out of arc, the opponent can just shoot the other half), so, given that the Queen is the only one well-suited to that approach, I don't really recommend it.

With that said, I'm gonna disagree with Trueflight on the value of assimilated ships, which I largely regard as a better deal than their unassimilated counterparts. Unfortunately, the ships he has don't really provide the best captain options (except Salatrel), but the Klingons may be workable. He might also benefit from getting the Sphere, which offers both the best Tactical Drone and also Borg Ablative Hull Armor, which can be pretty good (I especially like it for turning the Assimilated Bird of Prey into a Martok chariot).

I'm totally just spitballing here, but this should be kind of fun (in particular, note that Korok is good at critting a PSFed ship, that General Orders is extremely useful for improving the quality of either attack or defense (when cloaked), and that tribbles are hilarious):

Soong [38]
- Korok (Borg) (Captain) [4]
- Cyrano Jones [3]
- Crosis [5]
Ship Total: 50 SP

Assimilated Vessel 80279 [26]
- Koloth 7 (Captain) [4]
- Data Node [3]
- Drex [4]
Ship Total: 37 SP

Klingon Starship (Negh'var Class) [28]
- Martok 8 (Captain) [5]
- Projected Stasis Field [5]
Ship Total: 38 SP

Resource: General Orders [5]

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnetometric Charges are hands down the best Borg weapon imo, but you want them on 360 ships. They only get 3 attack dice but are Range 1-3, no TL required, 1 BS conversion, enemy gets no def dice. Fire them with reroll Tactical Drone captain and add the Queen Ships +1 dice from scan token to make it even worse. It annihilates defense boats and cloak. Evasion tokens are the only thing that help against it. Its so good it should be errataed to at least require TL, or maybe 3 time tokens.

The Borg missile is an okay weapon for some range 3 dice in a pinch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny bennet
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks for the advice, that's great! I think he is quite excited to use the assimilated stuff but we all have several builds that we play to keep stuff fresh.

Any expansions for romulan or in gerneral that should be at the top of his list to get next? Looking for the best bang for his buck!

Absolutely love your videos man, you have no idea how many our small group have went through to pick out the next ship to buy. Really helpful

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Look for little synergies and simple tricks for him at first. An entire fleet revolving around a strategy might be too much for a new or bad player.

Assimilated Vessel 64758
Gul Macet
33 points for a ship with 9HP and 5-7 attack dice (Macet+range1). The one trick is to not approach head on. Get him to bring this in from the side. Try deploying it range 3 to either aide of main fleet. Do a 3 bank towards the fleet and then a 4 straight or whatever is needed to get in range on turn 2. Now he can trigger Macet on the opening and still have a green maneuver be viable for turn 3.

I also wildly disagree with Trueflight about assimilated being the weak link. Only Assimilation Target Prime is really a weak one.

Soong
Lore
3x1SP crew
45SP.
Keep shucking crew out for base 7 attack

It would take another expansion (Regent's), but Admiral Worf and the generic assimilated b'rels is fantastic. Even better when fueled by the sphere's tactical drone.

The assimilated ships do everything their unassimilated versions do, just better and with access to Borg cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.