Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am setup for solo play per the instruction book.

Under the Actions section

"After playing a card, decide whether you want to complete your hand (and have again three cards in your hand), or not. If you do not, you will not have this option again the whole mission."

I don't understand the bold part...

I play a card on the first Grizzled

A: I then need to decide if I am going to finish playing the other two cards.
If continuing play with the two cards, do I draw three more cards from the Trials deck and continue play until mission success or everyone withdraws?

or

B: If I decide to stop play after the first card, everyone withdraws, then I draw three cards from the Morale deck?

Are both A and B correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither is quite right.

You play a card on the first Grizzled, and have two cards in hand. Before you play a card on the second Grizzled, you have to decide whether or not to draw back up to three cards. If you do, then draw one card and then play your second card on the second Grizzled. Then you have the same decision as before - refill hand back to three cards or pass.

Eventually, you aren't going to want any more cards in your hand. Once you decide not to refill your hand, you then finish off the playing your remaining cards or keeping them (and having Grizzled withdraw), depending on the situation.

Even though you are playing three Grizzled, they are independent of each other. You can have one withdraw, and continue playing with just two. Eventually, they are all going to withdraw, and then the round is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
Neither is quite right.

You play a card on the first Grizzled, and have two cards in hand. Before you play a card on the second Grizzled, you have to decide whether or not to draw back up to three cards. If you do, then draw one card and then play your second card on the second Grizzled. Then you have the same decision as before - refill hand back to three cards or pass.

Eventually, you aren't going to want any more cards in your hand. Once you decide not to refill your hand, you then finish off the playing your remaining cards or keeping them (and having Grizzled withdraw), depending on the situation.

Even though you are playing three Grizzled, they are independent of each other. You can have one withdraw, and continue playing with just two. Eventually, they are all going to withdraw, and then the round is over.

Much appreciated

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was unclear to me too. I do wish designers would have their rules checked by....

A) A native language speaker when appropriate and

B) Someone who knows nothing about the game to avoid gaps and assumptions. This would avoid the need for FAQ's in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the rules were written in Canadian (cause I understood them just fine like Deathstroke).

Edit: added punctuation and winky face for clarity of intent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Philmcd. I work in translations, and these instructions are a perfect example of a non-native translation. Just lazy and/or prideful not to have a native speaker edit this and polish up the awkward sections. Great game otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
I'm with Philmcd. I work in translations, and these instructions are a perfect example of a non-native translation. Just lazy and/or prideful not to have a native speaker edit this and polish up the awkward sections. Great game otherwise!

Oh I don't argue that the English rules are definitely lacking. While I don't think your remark was directed at me per sé, my comment was in gest as many of us Canucks speak French, or are accustomed to broken English.

I will, however, dire que I know many native speakers qui ne sont pas capable of writing for their lives, donc cet assertion doesn't hold true in mes livres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
oldpear wrote:

Oh I don't argue that the English rules are definitely lacking. While I don't think your remark was directed at me per sé, my comment was in gest as many of us Canucks speak French, or are accustomed to broken English.

I will, however, dire que I know many native speakers qui ne sont pas capable of writing for their lives, donc cet assertion doesn't hold true in mes livres.

I know you were speaking in a jestful manner, but I wanted Philmcd, who is apparently not a native English speaker, to know that he's 100% right.

And, yes, I know all to well that a native speaker does not a professional editor make. In fact, even a professional doesn't always perform his due diligence. I wouldn't be surprised if they did send it to an editor who maybe corrected a few noun-verb agreements and gave it a thumbs-up, without even considering how the game is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

(tip is for Shai-Hulud)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
If it helps you feel better about not understanding rules, I'm French, have the French version, and don't get the solo rules either.

Very confusing game shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attempted this game solo for the first time today. After going through the solo rules the question came to mind, why not just start each mission with three cards and never refill your hand??

I must have been doing something wrong bc the game was way too easy. I would start the mission with my 3 cards, play 1 on the first grizzled, then I would not refill and play my second card on player two, then the last one on player 3, using my charms when needed. I had almost no challenge except when my soldiers received a couple of hard knocks cards, but they weren't to hard to get rid of bc each mission I went on was only 3 cards, then the support would give me a chance to remove some hard knocks.

So unless I was playing something extremely wrong, what is the incentive to draw back up to 3 cards? why not just complete each mission with the 3 you start with, and withdraw after they run out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Montgomery
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
shooshoo wrote:
I attempted this game solo for the first time today. After going through the solo rules the question came to mind, why not just start each mission with three cards and never refill your hand??

I must have been doing something wrong bc the game was way too easy. I would start the mission with my 3 cards, play 1 on the first grizzled, then I would not refill and play my second card on player two, then the last one on player 3, using my charms when needed. I had almost no challenge except when my soldiers received a couple of hard knocks cards, but they weren't to hard to get rid of bc each mission I went on was only 3 cards, then the support would give me a chance to remove some hard knocks.

So unless I was playing something extremely wrong, what is the incentive to draw back up to 3 cards? why not just complete each mission with the 3 you start with, and withdraw after they run out?

I'm just trying to figure the solo version out as well. However, I think you will run out of time with this strategy. Haven't done the math carefully, but if each turn you play only three, and then move two from the Trials Reserve to the Trials pile, you will uncover the Monument card before uncovering the Peace card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah i believe youre right. My first attempt was a little misleading as e erything seemed to kinda fall into place for me and it was really easy going till the end. The second attempt was tougher and i can see what youre saying now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.