Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Drafting Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So, I mostly play TM solo, and I love it. Sometimes my opening hand is incredibly difficult to synergies, so I was wondering about drafting cards during a solo game.

Draw ten cards for yourself and ten cards for the neutral player. Select one card from your hand and discard one random card from the neutral players hand. Switch hands. Select a second card, randomly discard another neutral players' card, etc. Continue until you have ten cards in your hand, then choose which cards to buy for your opening ten cards.

Anyway. Just an idea. It may turn out to be pointless and just as random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been enjoying the solo game quite a bit, but I feel that unless you get a decent draw of cards it can be hard to win.

My own thought was not with the initial draw for beginners, which the OP seems to favor, but with the four cards that show up at the start of the turn. I've been starved for plant based cards in two straight games, and couldn't get the O2 levels up without a lot of standard actions, which will kill you slowly (even if you have the "rebate" card as I did). Also, many corps don't give you initial cards at all, you start out by drawing four as usual in the turn sequence. Even if you do get starting cards, you only gain ten extra cards to work with, and only at the start when you have little knowledge of what is to come.

My thought is to simply pretend you're in a four player game. Draw four cards, pick one, discard the rest. Draw three cards, pick one, discard the rest. Draw two cards, pick one, then draw a fourth card. Choose which of these you want to pay for. Feels just like the multiplayer draft, and limits choices in the same way. No point in a dummy hand unless you want cards coming back around for some reason. This is also the truest to the multiplayer rules as well, which I always prefer.

I don't think the game is nimble enough to overcome bad card distribution, and there are enough card types to make it more likely. I have gotten initial cars that seemed like they would be very helpful and never saw another card that would leverage it the rest of the game. Also, having six extra cards to pick from over 14 turns means 96 more card choices in a game rather than 10, turning this into a strategic game instead of being far too tactical without the draft.

Don't get me wrong, as a solo game that lasts about an hour, I love the title. But I have a lot of solo card games (such as Friday) that do a better job of rewarding good choices instead of becoming an elaborate luck of the draw game, that are faster, more compact, and just as compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregory Adama wrote:
So, I mostly play TM solo, and I love it. Sometimes my opening hand is incredibly difficult to synergies, so I was wondering about drafting cards during a solo game.

Draw ten cards for yourself and ten cards for the neutral player. Select one card from your hand and discard one random card from the neutral players hand. Switch hands. Select a second card, randomly discard another neutral players' card, etc. Continue until you have ten cards in your hand, then choose which cards to buy for your opening ten cards.

Anyway. Just an idea. It may turn out to be pointless and just as random.

I think being able to see 20 (actually 19) cards at once might be a little TOO powerful for the solo game. How about doing this at the beginning of the game:

1. Draw 10 cards
2. Keep one card
3. Randomly discard one card
4. Repeat #2 through #3 four more times
5. Repeat #1 through #4 one more time
6. Purchase X cards from those in your hand
7. Terraform Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All 3 of these suggestions I can see work in their own way, but of course all 3 will make the game considerably easier. I wouldn't want Mars to treat me any less harsh. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.