Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, so I've tentatively been working on a card-game version of Ra, rethemed into a sci-fi theme so I could find some good artwork around the internet.

The voting cards (single-sided).

The RA cards in the retheme. All "bad" cards in the set include the bright triangle in the middle, as well as a faded black border around the edges.

Planets replace the civilizations from the board version.

The Extraction cards replace the gods, the discovery cards replace the pharaohs, and the credits replace the money in original RA.

Space Launch cards -- these obviously replace the Nile/Flood tiles.

These replace the monuments in original RA. Wanted to keep colorblind-friendly markers on the cards which is why each title has different borders by type.

All the cards in RA. Still planning to tweak these, but man they look good together.

Looking at the cards in order by the side really shows off the colored borders I added to distinguish different types.

There's still some things I'd like to add -- scoring text on the cards themselves, if I can find the room -- as well as a persistence icon kind of like the scarab on the board game version. I'd also like to mock up some tarot-sized card guides to remind on scoring, and also do a draft of the rules that are rethemed to match.

I'd love any feedback and thoughts you guys have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is beautiful! I hope you get this set up on one of the card printing sites when you finish tweaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GCPDblue wrote:
This is beautiful! I hope you get this set up on one of the card printing sites when you finish tweaking.

Thanks! I'll need to hunt down the individual artists and maybe change some of the art (I remixed some of it already, mostly color tweaks) but I would definitely like to do that.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks amazing thumbsup

Also the use of cards probably makes the game more portable. Still, you seem to need a board. Is this so and are you designing one, or will you make use of cards?

Finally, if people don't scream 'RA!', what do they scream?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
This looks amazing thumbsup

Thanks! I tried this game and all the while I was thinking -- this should be a card game.

AlexFS wrote:
Also the use of cards probably makes the game more portable. Still, you seem to need a board. Is this so and are you designing one, or will you make use of cards?

As far as I can tell, all you need a board for is 1) to tell the number of RA tiles you're playing with (depending on player count), 2) to mark out the full auction track, and 3) to remind on scoring.

I can take care of 3) easily with player aid cards for each player -- also, by adding scoring info on each individual card, which I plan to do.

As for 1 and 2, I think I can take care of these by printing individual cards. The one would say '10 cards to a full auction track' and sit next to the cards laid out for auction. The other would say how many RA cards you play with depending on how many people are playing. Sure, there's not a visual of slots being filled, but the info is still right there in front of people.

AlexFS wrote:
Finally, if people don't scream 'RA!', what do they scream?

They still can, the game's still called RA (see the card back in the lower right on the all cards pic)

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks AWESOME. Too bad my wife seriously wouldn't like "another space game." Ra is such a great game, all the same! I love your work, Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wilcock
United Kingdom
Wallingford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
worth noting that there is already a Ra card game - Razzia

the sci-fi theme is well cool though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike.Instance wrote:
worth noting that there is already a Ra card game - Razzia

the sci-fi theme is well cool though

I have seen Razzia, but the art just didn't do it for me. Plus, aside from Star Realms I have no sci-fi game in my set, so I thought this one would be a good candidate I would've kept it Egyptian if I could've found good artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I need some help from Ra experts. I'm looking at adding scoring reminders on each card, and it doesn't look like it will be too difficult. I'm stuck as to what these numbers in parentheses mean, though, can anyone help with that? I'm talking on the far left of the board, underneath where it says the tile counts.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/563219/ra?size=large

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Ok, I need some help from Ra experts. I'm looking at adding scoring reminders on each card, and it doesn't look like it will be too difficult. I'm stuck as to what these numbers in parentheses mean, though, can anyone help with that? I'm talking on the far left of the board, underneath where it says the tile counts.

I think it's tile counts for according catastrophies (but I never checked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
max bredow wrote:
aaj94 wrote:

I think it's tile counts for according catastrophies (but I never checked).

Yes, the two numbers are tile counts for this category, and disaster count for this category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah perfect! Here's a first draft of the player aid, what do you guys think? (disasters are denoted by a triangle because all the disasters have the glowing triangle on them:

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The player aid looks good, except that it is not clear that the launches are also worth one point each.

Three comments:

1) Since the cards are so much bigger than tiles, why not put the player aid text onto the cards themselves? Seems more efficient than a separate player aid sheet.

2) I really like how the Überplay edition marked which tiles are kept and which are discarded after an epoch. Could you add something like that to your cards?

3) You can somewhat tell the color of a card by looking at the edges since you have full bleed on the images. Shouldn't you do a border on all cards? If you could tell that the next card was a ra or a disaster, it would ruin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's the auction tracker. My thought is you would lay a little gem every time you play a card and when they're all full it forces an auction. Too fiddly?

Otherwise, you could just have players remember that 8 cards is full, but maybe in the heat of the game you forget?

The other option would be to create 8 cards that all are an 'empty slot' and you lay those out to start the game -- laying your drawn cards on top of them. But at that point, you may as well create a board and I'm trying to avoid that to keep things portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Great project, love the artwork you chose.

My one suggestion is to make sure the different symbols are clearly legible from across the table. The cards are busy so it's more difficult to discern the different types by the pictures alone.

The minimal icon style looks great, but I fear it would be a bother to look across the table to see who has what, especially those straight slants. I think larger, more distinct symbols would be acceptable.

Use this site if you need more icons:
https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=rocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pondered distinct icons, but didn't want the cards to be too cluttered. I will be pulling the icons in further on the sides (about a quarter inch in, so more of the color is visible). Maybe adding a bar of color on the top could help as well?
Edit: the other option would be to make the colors more obvious in the card art, but they're already pretty obvious and I don't want it to seem washed out. I'll do some test layouts with the cards at home and see how they look across the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
aaj94 wrote:
I pondered distinct icons, but didn't want the cards to be too cluttered.

I hear you. It's a tough balance, but playability should win out. I think you could cut a notch into the icon strip to indicate something, or use a cutout to help bring out the edge detail.

Example of some ideas:

ANd then for anything that needs to be removed round to round could use an underline beneath the letters.

Just my feeble suggestions, good luck! Let us know how playtesting went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Here's the auction tracker. My thought is you would lay a little gem every time you play a card and when they're all full it forces an auction. Too fiddly?

Otherwise, you could just have players remember that 8 cards is full, but maybe in the heat of the game you forget?

Put numbers on the spaces, then you only need one gem to track.
Also, different number Ra cards are needed for filling with different player counts.

If people forget to move the marker, they can always count the cards and check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea for the market numbers. Also, the Ra card does indicate for different player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
aaj94 wrote:
I pondered distinct icons, but didn't want the cards to be too cluttered.

I hear you. It's a tough balance, but playability should win out. I think you could cut a notch into the icon strip to indicate something, or use a cutout to help bring out the edge detail.

Example of some ideas:

ANd then for anything that needs to be removed round to round could use an underline beneath the letters.

Just my feeble suggestions, good luck! Let us know how playtesting went.

Both very good ideas. Things have been busy so I didn't get it to table but I'll look at some of these design updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:

The other option would be to create 8 cards that all are an 'empty slot' and you lay those out to start the game -- laying your drawn cards on top of them. But at that point, you may as well create a board and I'm trying to avoid that to keep things portable.

Have one card on which the "sun" up for grabs is placed (or just use the sun itself) , and place the to-be-auctioned cards around it in a square.

XXX
XCX
XXX

When the card is completely surrounded, an auction is called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea! You're a genius That's what I'll be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
GCPDblue wrote:

Thanks! I'll need to hunt down the individual artists and maybe change some of the art (I remixed some of it already, mostly color tweaks) but I would definitely like to do that.

The rights to Ra are owned by a large company. They might not be happy.

(Note: since it's known I know the designer and it can be obviously deduced at least someone at the publisher, I should make it clear that's just me making that comment. I'd have exactly the same reservation were it a designer I didn't know and a publisher I knew no one at.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
aaj94 wrote:
GCPDblue wrote:

(Note: since it's known I know the designer and it can be obviously deduced at least someone at the publisher, I should make it clear that's just me making that comment. I'd have exactly the same reservation were it a designer I didn't know and a publisher I knew no one at.)

Chris, I'd also ask permission from the publisher since I understand that it's their IP. My hope would be this is sufficiently different from RA to be ok -- especially if it's released not-for-profit for personal use only. But as usual with my projects, I always ask permission.
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
aaj94 wrote:
GCPDblue wrote:

Chris, I'd also ask permission from the publisher since I understand that it's their IP. My hope would be this is sufficiently different from RA to be ok -- especially if it's released not-for-profit for personal use only. But as usual with my projects, I always ask permission.
A

As a matter of interest, what's your batting rate on getting permission on things like this? Particularly from larger companies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.