Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mb
I have scenario 3 set up on my table. Just to check my understanding of LOS, am I correct in thinking that at the start of the scenario, the lone British artillery unit (Cornwallis Light Artillery) in hex E2925 cannot see any American unit to fire at within the American (slightly) variable setup?

If the answer is yes, then that will confirm that I have understood LOS well enough to play on. If the answer is no, then it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After taking a quick look at the situation in VASSAL, I believe you are correct. The battery lies below the crest of the elevation that it occupies. That is, the battery lies to the east of the midpoint of a line drawn from the elevation contour just behind the battery to the same elevation contour to its west. If the battery was maybe a hex or two further west, it would be on the top of the elevation or just beyond the crest, so it could then shoot (slightly) downhill on the Americans.

These small differences in elevation and the somewhat convoluted elevation lines on this part of the map led to simpler depictions of relative elevation in the later maps. It makes sense if you track the elevation from the streams upward, and I think that particular open field is probably one of the tougher areas to picture on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mb
Many thanks Paul. Now I know I am applying the rules correctly, I can get cracking with the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.