England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Aldie,

I started to use the top 10s on my profile but gave up, because it was just too fiddly to keep editing it (especially the Hot 10). If I want to insert a new game at #3 say, I have to edit 8 slots to preserve the previous order.

My suggestion is to put the editing onto the game page. That is, put a tab on the game page saying:

Place This Game On Your Personal Top 10 At Position x
Place This Game On Your Hot Top 10 At Position x

This way the user can just type in a number, and the relevant top ten is updated, forcing the existing games down or off the list. You might have a Replace/Force option, so picking Replace #3 edits the current #3 off the list and puts the new one in its place, without affecting the rest of the list. But picking Force will push your choice into the list, bumping the lower games down one place.

Maybe Place or Replace are better options instead of Force or Replace.

Thanks for all your work Aldie. Thanks for putting up with all the ridiculous crap. It's a shame it's happening, but it will pass and BGG will be better.

Cheers,
jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I started to use the top 10s on my profile but gave up, because it was just too fiddly to keep editing it (especially the Hot 10). If I want to insert a new game at #3 say, I have to edit 8 slots to preserve the previous order.

Insert it in the place of the game you want to drop out of the list (usually #10), and then use the arrow buttons to push it into the position you want it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
If I want to insert a new game at #3 say, I have to edit 8 slots to preserve the previous order.

Actually, all you have to do is edit the tenth item, then use the up arrows to nudge it up to third place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It still requires more effort than I need. I'd much rather do it from the game page. So currently I have to go to my profile, click on the edit symbol, enter the gameid (or lookup the name), then click each arrow one by one, then submit.

I'd rather go to the gamepage (yes, search for the game, click on it, and scroll down the page, but all that's second nature to me), and type in the top ten place and then submit. Much easier. Make the computer do the work, not me.

Also, I just put Der Dieb von Bagdad into the lookup and it didn't return a result. (Another point to me! Ha!)

Cheers,
jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems much harder to me. It's much easier the way it is: You manage the list where you find the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having no problems with the current system. But then again, I don't use the Hot 10 feature, it seems redundant. Hot 10 should refresh autmatically at the end of each month and inserts the top 10 most played games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barkam wrote:
Hot 10 should refresh autmatically at the end of each month and inserts the top 10 most played games.

I like that idea. But I would modify it to weight the list in favor of the most recently played games. And I would refresh the list more often than once a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Barkam wrote:
Hot 10 should refresh autmatically at the end of each month and inserts the top 10 most played games.

Only if you use it for that purpose. I personally, use Hot 10 to indicate games I am most anticipating (if unpublished) or want to play.

And what about the gamers who don't manage to record 10 different games played in a month - their Hot 10 might be a single game or two. So if implemented - should be optional and have a varying timescale that the user can decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Babb
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why have it be manual at all? I think it would be interesting for the lists to behave as follows:

Top 10 -- Actually be your top ten rated games, as rated by you. For ties, rank by most plays.

Hot 10 -- The games played most frequently in the past X days/months...whatever. Ties there are broken by rating.

Maybe this would be a good way to automatically populate the list, but one could have the option to override it and use the current or manual method?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
El Jefe wrote:
Why have it be manual at all? I think it would be interesting for the lists to behave as follows:

Top 10 -- Actually be your top ten rated games, as rated by you. For ties, rank by most plays.

Hot 10 -- The games played most frequently in the past X days/months...whatever. Ties there are broken by rating.

Maybe this would be a good way to automatically populate the list, but one could have the option to override it and use the current or manual method?

now this is a fantastic idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with putting games on those lists is that the search doesn't understand other names. I don't know the game-id's, so I click to search for a gamename. I type Heckmeck but there are no matches found... so I have to open another tab and search for Heckmeck in the normal search (and then copy the game id or c/p picknic erhm pico-something...)

My point is being: for some games I just don't know the english name (or can't remember it) so searching for other names would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
El Jefe wrote:

I prefer the current system for a number of reasons.
(a) I don't log my games played and I'm not planning to do this in the future.
(b) A high rating doesn't necessarily mean a game should be in my top 10. There may be games that I rate highly because I think they are very good games, but that I don't consider a personal favourite (and vice versa).
(c) I don't use my hot 10 as you describe but to list the games I'm most eager to play. (Most have 0 plays.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Lajos wrote:
El Jefe wrote:

I prefer the current system for a number of reasons.
(a) I don't log my games played and I'm not planning to do this in the future.
(b) A high rating doesn't necessarily mean a game should be in my top 10. There may be games that I rate highly because I think they are very good games, but that I don't consider a personal favourite (and vice versa).
(c) I don't use my hot 10 as you describe but to list the games I'm most eager to play. (Most have 0 plays.)

and I use the hot 10 by which I most eagerly want to buy. So maybe this would be a great default system, but just have it so you can turn the automation off and have it manual like it is currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Babb
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as I get some geekgold if this gets implemented, I'm happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.