4 Posts

Nippon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game speed with 2 and 3 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter-Paul Koch
msg tools
mb
I played Nippon four times with 3 players, and just recently twice with 2. To me it seems the 2-player game just zips by really quickly, where the 3-player game seems to give you more time.

In the 3-player games there seemed enough time to finish several game goals; for instance, I had influence in all four regions. By contrast, in the 2-player games I only had influence in three out of four, mainly because I felt rushed and just couldn't spare the time.

Is this a coincidence, or was the game expressly designed to be much faster with two players? I even started wondering if it made sense to use three worker rows instead of just two in a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
KICKSTARTER SOON !!!!!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmb
ppkoch wrote:
I played Nippon four times with 3 players, and just recently twice with 2. To me it seems the 2-player game just zips by really quickly, where the 3-player game seems to give you more time.

In the 3-player games there seemed enough time to finish several game goals; for instance, I had influence in all four regions. By contrast, in the 2-player games I only had influence in three out of four, mainly because I felt rushed and just couldn't spare the time.

Is this a coincidence, or was the game expressly designed to be much faster with two players? I even started wondering if it made sense to use three worker rows instead of just two in a 2-player game.

Sometimes players in a 2 player game forget that you star the game with 3 workers in the action slots and, when the worker rows are empty, still refill all Action slots in order to have exactly 3 Workers on each.
Did you play like this ?

The game was designed to have a tense ending, decisions, concessions, to feel fast ... like the industrial revolution in Japan... You can play more turns (introducing more workers) but ultimately Nippon is not about doing everything you want, is about doing the better choices and overcome challenging decisions. (- I like to think )

Enjoy the game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter-Paul Koch
msg tools
mb
Sentieiro wrote:
Sometimes players in a 2 player game forget that you star the game with 3 workers in the action slots and, when the worker rows are empty, still refill all Action slots in order to have exactly 3 Workers on each.
Did you play like this ?

Ah, I see. No, I put two workers in all action slots, but I re-read the rules just now and see I did it wrong. Three workers it is.

Well, that gives me a reason to play again!

Sentieiro wrote:
The game was designed to have a tense ending, decisions, concessions, to feel fast ... like the industrial revolution in Japan... You can play more turns (introducing more workers) but ultimately Nippon is not about doing everything you want, is about doing the better choices and overcome challenging decisions. (- I like to think )

Enjoy the game !

I do get that you have to make choices, but there was such a difference between 2- and 3-player games that I wondered if I was doing something wrong.

Anyway; solved now. Thanks a lot for your help, and I can't wait to see your next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two player game does definitely play very fast though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.