Subject: Starter deck analysis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to analyze the starter decks. I am curious as which have advantages over others. So to start I am trying to figure out, assuming best possible conditions, what is the max points the starter decks can earn. This assumes clashes are successful for the 10 points. Of course the dark deck that flips others cards puts a wrench in to this. Though the deck protector helps mitigate that.

Here's my initial results.

Brownwall City - Earth - 153
End game scoring
Florian, Bertram, Parker, Egg, Mara, Dirtbag

Greendew Bazaar - Air - 135
A little of everything
King, Ghasticus, Rocketman, Wenglie, Birdkeeper, Egg

Chateau Hellbane - Dark - 125
Flips own cards and others
Aberforth, Dark, Sword, Egg, Martus, Hemsey (flip egg or sword)
Aberforth, Martus, Necronamicus, Vectis, Dark Sentinel, Egg - 115
Aberforth, Egg, Hemsey, Martus, Dark, Necronamicus

Redhill Mercenaries - Fire - 125
Flips own cards
Cannon, Lars, Bernie, Shaalisaar, Egg, Malcombe

Saits of Whiteholme - Light - 129
Flip own, mostly end game scoring
Looch, Pyotr, Grand, Egg, Orella, Goloronicus

Bluelake Village - Water - 142
Mix of play and score effects
Deep Ray, Berkenstock, Blue Egg, Maximimilan, Elco, Waverly

The reason the flip deck score less is the deck box doesn't do much for them. You take the deck boxes out they all score closer to each other.

Can anyone do better? How? Did I make a mistake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy in this post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23100305#23100305

Got these values:
Quote:

1. Air (153 RP)
2. Water (144 RP)
3. Earth (143 RP)
4. Fire (135 RP)
5. Light (128 RP)
6. Dark (125 RP)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about the Air deck.
Let's say I play the King (5 star) then play the egg (1 star) to copy the king. Then play the Rocketman to swap the egg and king for twice the star power. Since the Rocketman wording is "Play: You may swap the positions of two cards in you tableau. Gain RP equal to their combined star."

So the the egg star value change immediately or after the Play is resolved? Do I gain 10 or 6? I would think it is 10 because I believe you have to full resolve the current effect before resolving the next one. So you wouldn't resolve the Egg's Ongoing effect until you finished resolving the Rocketman's Play effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I definitely think that you scored Water too low - but it's also the trickiest one to get a handle on because of the large variance you get simply by changing the play order of the cards. Granted, this is true of all of the decks, but the Water deck's reliance on copying other cards and conditional score effects makes it much harder to understand what the correct card choice and play order is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some new decks to add to the list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Alright, let me give this a shot!

Megapolis - Citizen - 145 (or 161)

Meryl - Ami - King - Zombie - Berkenstock - British/Bertram (Note: This board is really flexible. Ami - King - Zombie need to be in that order, and Berkenstock cannot be on an edge, but other than that, play these however you want. I'm playing Meryl first so that hopefully someone will flip her with Martus, Keeper of Fates)

This one's easy. Just make sure that Corporate Zombie and Apprentice Chef Ami are both hitting King of the Faraway Mountain. 143 without help, 161 if you can get somebody to flip Cannon Technician Meryl, which lets you avoid playing Detective British.

Animal Farm - Beast - 199 (If all clashes in your favor; 129 if none)

Doubleshark - Chameleon - Bessie - Hound Dog - Cloud Boss - Snax (Swap Snax and Doubleshark when you activate Hound Dog)

At first, it may seem like you want to play Cloud Boss last, but keep in mind that you need to activate two actions, on both Hound Dog and Cloud Boss, so playing him either last or second to last will get you the same amount of RP, and you'll get much more RP if you play Snax last. (Note that Snax doesn't care whether the card is face up or not, he just wants cards). Swapping Snax with Doubleshark will result in Chameleon Leon copying Snax for scoring, in addition to giving you the max 15 RP for Snax scoring.

Future Perfect - Construct - 152 (If all clashes in your favor; 73 if none)

This is a cool combo deck. Set up your cards like this:

Leveltron - Mictrobot - Fusetron - Goloronicus - Necronamicus - Crushtron

Every time Leveltron and Microbot activate, have them put the stars on each other. This will result in each having 4 +1 counters. Don't use any actions until the last turn, then activate them in this order: (Microbot - Leveltron - Fuestron - Goloronicus - Necronamicus). The result is you have Crushtron do 5 clashes in a row, winning points for it every time. You'll get 56 points for Crushtron winning the clashes, 20 rp for winning the sword clashes, 68 for playing your cards and using their actions, and 8 for the deckbox. It's a clash reliant deck, but powerful because Crushtron is going to have an extremely high star rating, so you're not likely to lose.

The Academy - Mage - 92 (Note: This deck is highly variable because it all depends on what your opponents do. As such, I'm just assuming that your opponents don't manage to help you out in any way)

I'm not sure why Galrond is in here, he's got anti-synergy with the rest of the deck! Anyways, your Tableau looks like this:

Galrond - Aberforth - Mirror - Hailey - Martus - Bernie

You start by playing all your flip cards, then playing all your cards that flip them. Put Hailey's stars on Aberforth and Mirror. Then, just attempt to flip all of them! You'll get 24 for flipping Mirror, 28 for Flipping Aberforth, and 12 for attempting to flip Galrond, plus 30 for the deck box.

I'm pretty sure this deck sucks so much because it forces your opponents to flip 2 cards? Anyways, don't take my ordering as gospel here, as you'll want to pay attention to what your opponents play and play your flipping cards at opportune times to make them flip their highest star cards.

The Great War - Soldier - 139 (132 RP if you lose the clash, a lot less if the clash flips Cariolis)

So this deck has some nice disruption options; don't be afraid to switch up this order if it messes with an opponent's plan! That being said:

Trenneth - Vivienne - Lars - Cariolis - Shaalisaar - Onion Knight

When you play Cariolis, use Vivienne's action. This will both get you 15 RP and also can flip a card in an opponent's Tableau. Then, the flip targets with your last two cards should be Cariolis and Shaalisaar respectively. This satisfies the score conditions of both of your score cards, as well as granting you 24 + 24 + 16 points from the last 3 cards. Add in 24 rp from your deckbox for 139 points.

In theory you can score way higher with Spellblade Ferris, but that requires other players to clash a bunch. If possible though, substituting him for one of your score cards or Shaaalisaar isn't a bad idea. Also, consider playing disruption using Vivienne, Ferris, and Onion Knight. You could make opponents lose a ton of points by moving their cards around.

Gods and Myths - Myth - 180 (Note: SUPER RISKY. For less risk, have Wisp Copy Dark Storm and put +1 counters on Wisp for 13 less RP)

For the most points, you need Will o' Wisp to copy Neverway, which is really dangerous. So here it is:

Tarask - Poppin - Sami - Neverway - Will o' Wisp - Dark Storm

Pretty simple deck: Have Sami use her reaction on her own Clash effect, and give the stars to Tarask, then just use Dark Storm's action when it comes up for a nice 180 rp total. Be careful though: losing that clash means you lose 92 RP!

There are two ways to be less greedy and more safe: drop the +4 tokens on Dark Storm to make it way easier to win that clash (at the cost of 8 RP), or swap the position of Dark Storm and Will o' Wisp and only use Wisps' action (at the cost of 5 RP). I would highly recommend the second one, because then if you lose that clash you only lose 36 RP instead of 92, but it's up to you how crazy you want to be.

So, in conclusion: Megapolis, Animal Farm, and Future Perfect are all pretty solid decks, with the lower scoring ones also being much safer. The Great War, while low scoring, also has really good disruption options. Gods and Myths, while being the second highest scoring one, is also a very risky deck, with it's scoring potential dropping below many of them if it fails the clash. And The Academy, as far as I can tell, is just trash, with the lowest amount of scoring, while also managing to have generally worse disruption options than The Great War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.