Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pylos is an abstract strategy game for 2 players. The object of the game is to be the last person to put a ball at the top. The game lasts for about 10 to 20 minutes, all depending on the players, of course.

For once, one of my reviews will tell you all the rules of the game. Even then, this rather short review will be bigger than the rulebook itself

The rules

One player is chosen to start (and pick a colour), and the game is on.
Players take turn in putting one of their balls on the board.

The board has a hollowed out 4X4 grid, so they won't roll off. By filling up the holes, you create enough space for a second "floor" and so on, until there's only one space left: the one on top.

As usual with Gigamic games, the rules are very simple, but it doesn't make the game dull at all.

If there is a possibility to put balls on a higher level, players can take a ball (of own colour) already on the board, as long as it will be put higher on the pyramid.
Also, every time a player gets a square of 4 balls of his own colour, one or two balls can be taken back in "stock".

An advanced rule is that you can also form 4 in a row on the bottom level, or 3 in a row on the second level, to take back 1 or 2 balls.

The look and feel of the game

You can't go wrong with the look. Put this on your coffee table, and people will want to play it. The wooden board and balls are very pretty to look at. I own the large version myself, and it looks great. There's also a normal version, a travel version, and I heard there's some cheaper plastic version as well. I would go for the wooden one. I saw pics of the plastic (or whatever it is) version, and it's not nearly as aesthetically pleasing.

Odds are, people seeing this on your table will also like to play it. It's good for 3 plays in a row, and it can actually be very involving if you use the advanced rules as well.

It's quite possible to get to the third layer, and then starting a chain reaction so you're both back to the bottom layer.

This is a great game for abstract strategy players. It's fast, it's fun, but you still have to think, despite the very easy rules.
Getting to the top isn't nearly as easy as it sounds, and after playing it a few times, I'm sure you'll agree with the many prizes this game has won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.