Hide
8 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Suprised there are no SOLO variant rules yet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
Seems like it would be so easy with all the PvE missions included in the game. Just need some monster AI and BAM!! you got SOLO rules!!

So what gives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I count 4 solo/co-op variants in the forums and 1 in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
My guess is, so much of this game revolves around competing, that many people just aren't interested in a solo version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, most of the fin in the game comes from the not so friendly rivalry to compete for the treasures and loot in the scenarios. if you took that aspect out of the game, it would take a lot away from it. The only thing that would really work to make it a solo game would be to introduce some sort of timer to add a "beat the clock" type of thing to the scenarios (like Firefly uses. Basically an invisible player that will win the game if you don't in 20 turns). It would need some tweaking as some missions take longer than others, but it could work.

If you wanted to make the game co-op, I suppose that you could reduce the number of objectives that needed to be completed to win a scenario and remove the PvP ones if you really wanted, but I think it wouldn't be as fun. The same holds true for solo play as well though. Without that competition aspect of the game, there are other games that would be more fun to play solo (ones that were designed with that in mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lanham
Australia
flag msg tools
Its not a game really designed for PvE totally, and why it would require a MAJOR overhaul of the rules to make it soloable, hell, not a SINGLE mission would work, etc etc, i think AQ is one of the most over rated games of the last 5 years, it so simple its actually painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
Seems like it would be so easy with all the PvE missions included in the game. Just need some monster AI and BAM!! you got SOLO rules!!

So what gives?

Read
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
answer
And... instead of asking, if it is as easy as you think, please make and share your solo rules.
we will be pleased to try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To create solo/co-op rules would not be to make a VARIANT of Arcadia Quest, but rather to make an entirely new game using some of the same physical components and probably having to make new components/rules to compensate. That would appropriately go into another page entirely on this site.

Still would consider the rules you came up with as there are several who have adapted the components of the game for their own private purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grizzlylizard wrote:
Its not a game really designed for PvE totally, and why it would require a MAJOR overhaul of the rules to make it soloable, hell, not a SINGLE mission would work, etc etc, i think AQ is one of the most over rated games of the last 5 years, it so simple its actually painful.

Glad you got that off your chest, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.