Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I read i Rule 9.7.0 that OOC units move at 1/2 their MA as a penalty. Is this correct?

"OoC units may not be activated during ENA periods, and move at one half their normal MA."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Joseph, you read that correctly. I asked about it as well on CSW. They move 1/2 MA. Makes it difficult for them to get back in command, but that seems to be the designers intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson

California
msg tools
Again, Tom is correct. It is difficult for them to get back in command, it was intended to be a severe penalty if a player let his units get OoC. If it wasn't severe, players would take advantage of it and move units all over.

Time and time again, zones of operations became a point of issues for all the armies. The intent was to show that attacking a force at the juncture of commands is a good idea.

This summer at Phoenix Joe Youst pulled off an attack with 2+ Pz Divisions right at the AG boundary. He gained some hexes due to the very issue of the Allies trying to plug the hole while still adhering to command boundaries. Interesting thing was, it wasn't the front line that was the issue, it was the way the roads led to the point of attack on the Allied side of the front line. The US reinforcements took longer to get to the front due to the roads leading to the front passing thru the CW AG zone of operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Brunton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely one of the features I really like about GOSS is the explicitly modeling of command zones. I've grown tired of systems where you can just send units anywhere. The key message is that careful management behind the lines was at least as important as concentrating on the action in front of the lines.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game of AW I'm playing against Alex (June 11), I have shifted 101st Ann east to V Cotps area of ops and moved 2nd Armor west to VII Corps area of ops. Due to movement limitations, taking the entire day to get HQs and units back in command prior to command phase of June 12. It creates more of the situation where formations can't just shift and attack every turn at will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knowing what is happening to your right and your left as well as knowing where your right begins and ends, not only reduces friendly fire incidents but lets a commander distribute his assets optimally as well. It also tracks who is doing what and where everyone is in the line. Cross over into my area without proper coordination and I have no choice but to call in enemy on the move in my sector and blast ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson

California
msg tools
The true Marine comes out!!!

Seriously though, as you guys have said, it creates a another situation where you are faced with the same issues as a corps/army commander. Planning ahead and coordinating between divisions and corps.

How many times have you read where there was a SNAFU due to "who was responsible for that bridge?" Or "We didn't know they were using that road?",

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson

California
msg tools
Well said Doug, that is exactly what we were trying to show.

Plan, Plan again, and then fire the first bullet and start all over again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Fellas

This is why I love this system...

Clay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.