Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Kingdoms has a 2.06 (I can teach this to babies)
Tiny Epic Galaxies has a weight of 2.13. I can teach this game in under 5 minutes to non-gamers.

Then there's TEW with (currently) a 1.83 rating.
I played Tiny Epic Western for the first time today. The game plays like full-size medium weight euro worker placement game. This game has a lot going on! This isn't like other Tiny Epic games that can be explained in the same amount of time as they take to set up.

So far, most of you have rated the complexity as a 1 or a 2. What do you think this is, Candyland?

This game took some seasoned euro gamers almost 2 hours on the first play through. Of course, we were referencing the rulebook every few minutes. By the third round (halfway through the game), we were all comfortable with the mechanics and things go smoothly. We can see future plays lasting around an hour.

But still, just because this game fits in a small box does NOT make it a light game. There is a lot of room for some advanced strategy.
I gave it a 3/5, which I think is fair. I wanted to rate it higher to get the average up, but I'll leave it to you guys who erroneously rated this a 1/5 to go back and fix your votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree 100%. It took my wife and I 2.5 hours to read through the rulebook and complete our first game. She and I both really like the game, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure who is rating it a 1, because I agree it's not a light game. I'd probably give it a 2 or a 3. But keep in mind that there are only 18 votes right now.. It will creep up to probably a 2.5 after several more votes, which seems fair to me. Viticulture has a 2.93 for example -- I'd say this was easier than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
František Škoda

Šalgovce
Slovensko
msg tools
At this point it has lower complexity rating than Ticket to Ride. It's absurd. But I've noticed here that some people think - the bigger box the better and tougher game. And all small box games are not really games, they're just fillers. Hate that word. For example Tiny epic galaxies gives me the experience like any other full game. It's not even that short. Usually takes us around 45 minutes. If that's a filler than games like Pandemic or Mysterium must also be fillers. But they don't feel like it, right. Why? Because look at that BIG BOX!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastattaq wrote:
Tiny Epic Kingdoms has a 2.06 (I can teach this to babies)
Tiny Epic Galaxies has a weight of 2.13. I can teach this game in under 5 minutes to non-gamers.

Then there's TEW with (currently) a 1.83 rating.
I played Tiny Epic Western for the first time today. The game plays like full-size medium weight euro worker placement game. This game has a lot going on! This isn't like other Tiny Epic games that can be explained in the same amount of time as they take to set up.

So far, most of you have rated the complexity as a 1 or a 2. What do you think this is, Candyland?

This game took some seasoned euro gamers almost 2 hours on the first play through. Of course, we were referencing the rulebook every few minutes. By the third round (halfway through the game), we were all comfortable with the mechanics and things go smoothly. We can see future plays lasting around an hour.

But still, just because this game fits in a small box does NOT make it a light game. There is a lot of room for some advanced strategy.
I gave it a 3/5, which I think is fair. I wanted to rate it higher to get the average up, but I'll leave it to you guys who erroneously rated this a 1/5 to go back and fix your votes.

I haven't done a rating yet, but I would agree, this definitely has the weight of a medium weight worker placement game. I takes me about 15 minutes to explain it to experienced gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, but when I was reading through the rules I said to myself that this will take 1 or 2 plays to get the flow. I feel better that others have experienced this when playing. I am glad that it is a little heavier than the other games in the TE series. I think TEK and TEG have the light category covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank good ness this thread - I thought there was something wrong with me. I tried to play this game for the first time last night (even after having watched Rodney's Watch it Played video) and it took over an hour to play the first game. So many times searching the rules/boss cards for the details. Going to persevere, hopefully this is a game to enjoy once the complexity lightens up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a couple gameplay videos, and they made it seem pretty complex. Explained it to our teenaged son, and we got underway in probably 10 minutes. He didn't know anything about poker, so that took a little longer. First turn was a lot of guessing, and then everything clicked in the second round. The next time we play should be really interesting.

I think the game sounds way more complicated than it is. Try to break it down to its simplest parts (Hulk says "Buy Buildings! Win game!") when teaching. Once you get to playing, it really starts to make sense fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psychopanda wrote:
I watched a couple gameplay videos, and they made it seem pretty complex. Explained it to our teenaged son, and we got underway in probably 10 minutes. He didn't know anything about poker, so that took a little longer. First turn was a lot of guessing, and then everything clicked in the second round. The next time we play should be really interesting.

I think the game sounds way more complicated than it is. Try to break it down to its simplest parts (Hulk says "Buy Buildings! Win game!") when teaching. Once you get to playing, it really starts to make sense fast.

It depends on context. You are right, the rules aren't that complicated, but the options are. We've found this to be one of the most choice filled worker placement games out there recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I am convinced there's a subsection of people who vote for games based on their actual mass relative to earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Also I am convinced there's a subsection of people who vote for games based on their actual mass relative to earth.

I'm reminded of a rumor that there was a university professor, that when it comes to grading term papers, would stand at the top of the stairs and throw them towards the bottom.

Those that went the furthest got A's, then the professor would look for a natural division, and assign the middle group b's, and then the closest group c's. Any paper that went two stairs or less got an F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.