GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Codenames» Forums » General

Subject: Top party game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I just bought this game. All my friends said it was boring and easy (even a 3 years old kid can play it). I play it right. Can someone tell me why this game is the top party game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't playing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
... easy (even a 3 years old kid can play it). I play it right.

This is how I know you aren't playing it right.

Not everyone loves the game, and if you don't like it that's fine. You not liking it and it being the no. 1 party game are not mutually exclusive. I do suggest playing it correctly before forming an opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-known designer, lots of good press, easy to play, lots of fun with friends, just enough competitive feel to be interesting, but not deep enough to cause much brain drain. ..and so forth and so on.

It just has everything most party game fans would like. I can't say I'm with them on that, but at least the game is nice prep for something heavier and more involved.

My problem with Codenames is that I would much rather give the clues than get them. I have trouble with games that offer differing experiences depending on which side of the table you are at. Mysterium is a bust for me in the same way (bored as the investigator).

Raptor gets asymmetric gameplay right, but that's a different subject.

I think the best party game experiences I've had are with Dead Last, classic Werewolf (just villagers and 'wolves) and the obscure Ostrakon. Codenames is good, but I think the hype is a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3 year old cannot play this game. If yours can you're doing something very wrong (or the 3 year old in question is some sort of language savant). It is not easy (to play effectively) for most adults (boring of course is a matter of opinion but we enjoy it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
khian wrote:
... easy (even a 3 years old kid can play it). I play it right.

This is how I know you aren't playing it right.

Not everyone loves the game, and if you don't like it that's fine. You not liking it and it being the no. 1 party game are not mutually exclusive. I do suggest playing it correctly before forming an opinion though.

I agree that there is no way you are playing correctly if you think "a three year old could play it". If you want to prove us wrong, please give us some examples of words you connected and the clue you connected them with. This I gotta hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Wow! I didnt expect so many people get angry when I asked this question.I think I played it wrong. I have 4 people today. I can see this will be fun game if there is more people and more house rule for cueing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
Wow! I didnt expect so many people get angry when I asked this question.I think I played it wrong. I have 4 people today. I can see this will be fun game if there is more people and more house rule for cueing.

If I had to wager a guess as to what you may be doing wrong I would guess that perhaps you may be only trying to get your team to guess one word at a time. If that is indeed what you did, then yes, that would be easy. The challenge is connecting two, three, or even more words together with a single legal one word clue and at the same time keeping your opponents away from the opposition's words as well as the assassin. And since you will find yourself over and over in a situation where words do not seem related and yet you have to connect them somehow, this game is much more challenging than you gave it credit for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:

As a party game, it does play better with 6-8. Four is a bit too quiet for my liking.

Before you house-rule clueing(?), please check that you aren't making the most common mistake of all. The correct way to play is: After a spymaster gives a clue and their operative(s) guessed, it is the other spymaster's turn to give a clue. One spymaster does not ever get to give consecutive clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:

We are all very perplexed at how easy you think the game is. Reread those rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
I just bought this game. All my friends said it was boring and easy (even a 3 years old kid can play it). I play it right. Can someone tell me why this game is the top party game?

Since it was easy I assume everyone was winning?

(I would ask your friends to define easy.)

I'd except the argument that it is too random and has too much set up bias, but "too easy" is too vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Honestly, I appropriate all your comments and feedback. I'm sorry for using the word "even three years old can play"(that's my friend feedback). I do see more than 4 players make this game more interesting. I just returned the game but I'm looking forward for the picture version because I think the picture will be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well .. if it was 4 people, and the other team had a 3 year old, it's a competitive game, so of course the game will be easy for the team that doesn't have the kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
Can someone tell me why this game is the top party game?

Because it's new and shiny? whistle

Not sure what was there before Dixit, but, until Codenames came along, Dixit was quite popular. Despite the derogatory comments, Cards Against Humanity was popular among the unwashed masses, and, before then, Apples to Apples. Say Anything hit Target, which doesn't hurt sales.

Anyway, Codenames, like Dixit, flexes the ol' creativity, as you try to give a clue that picks out a steadily narrowing pool of words. I think it's flaw is that, if you play it safe with giving a clue to only one word, it's not particularly creative and thus boring.

Submit a session report how your group played the game. Otherwise, we can't tell if you played a rule wrong, or how clues were given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I actually did return the game and planning to buy the picture version.
My team consecutively give cues. I realized that we played it wrongly after I read the forum.

Do you think the picture version will be better than the word version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:

I much prefer trying to make links through wordplay than through visual cues. Some people do prefer the pictures version though, so maybe you'll be one such person. It is good for people whose first language is not English, and I'll pick up a copy for that reason alone.
That said, they are very similar, so if you disliked one enough to return it (without ever actually playing the game correctly!), I can't see switching words for pictures making much of a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure how you think we can evaluate whether you like the game or not when you said you played it wrong in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
I actually did return the game and planning to buy the picture version.
My team consecutively give cues. I realized that we played it wrongly after I read the forum.

if you didn't like this one, I'd say avoid the others.

buy Time's Up! or Train of Thought instead if you want a party word game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a reason why this game is currently the top rated party game. Which is that this is currently the best party game.

Also, a note. You might have trouble with the hobby if you play a game once, mess up important rules, and then return the game in favor of other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
There's a reason why this game is currently the top rated party game. Which is that this is currently the best party game.

by popular opinion based on a subset of people that visit bgg and choose to rank games and may or many not have played other party games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

by popular opinion based on a subset of people that visit bgg and choose to rank games and may or many not have played other party games.

Well, sure. I didn't think it was necessary to add a note explaining that statements of opinion are subjective. And I don't think it's the least bit controversial to state that the OP's experience is wildly outside the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Well, sure. I didn't think it was necessary to add a note explaining that statements of opinion are subjective. And I don't think it's the least bit controversial to state that the OP's experience is wildly outside the norm.

i just think notes more that "best" are more informative. if you want to sell the OP on the game, explaining why it is the best is probably better.

But that doesn't have to be your goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it for the first time yesterday with a group of six. Some loved it and immediately wanted to go buy it. I didn't care for it. I like the idea of the game but not the flow. I might have liked it better with the sand timer because it felt like too much of the time was waiting for the spymasters to think of a clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
I played it for the first time yesterday with a group of six. Some loved it and immediately wanted to go buy it. I didn't care for it. I like the idea of the game but not the flow. I might have liked it better with the sand timer because it felt like too much of the time was waiting for the spymasters to think of a clue.

There's a free Codenames app available that has a customizable timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game with all new players can definitely drag, as it's pretty unique and difficult. Subsequent plays should go much quicker. If not, use the timer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.